• Rome, NY Questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NYCUticaSyracuse81

-Was the S. James St. Station ever used for passenger service on the Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg after the Martin St. Bypass and new mainline opened for service in 1914? If not, what was it used for?

-A 1948 timetable shows Rome as the second stop between Utica and Oswego. Did the Martin St. Station serve the r.w.o, and if so, did it regain the r.w.o main by crossing the barge canal, muck Rd. Bridge, and the wye behind Felice moving? When was the wye last used, and when was the Muck Rd. Connection bridge over the barge canal removed if it ever existed?

-Did passenger trains on the r.w.o ever go down railroad St. along east Dominick Street after the 1914 relocation of the mainline. If so, that would mean that after stopping at the Martin St. Station they would have had to go in reverse to get back to the bridge over the canal? Which is why I think that the S. James St. Station was stilled used for passenger trains long after the mainline started using Martinst. Station.

I'm very confused here. Satellite maps have helped, but I just can't figure out what stations were used for the R, W & O RR after the barge was put in, or where they accessed the r,w &o from the main. Because it appears that there were two connections to the r, w & o tracks. One in East Rome, still crosses the barge today used by the Mohawk, Adirondack &Northern, but east of the Martin St. Station, and one that appeared to be West of the station but no evidence of a bridge that postdated the construction of the barge canal?no photographs, or info. Should probably give another look at the Hungerford book...
  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Thanks. I had totally forgotten about that thread. So It's safe to say that the bridge over the canal West of the Martin St. Station was for freight customers, and that there was a bridge east of the station that crossed the barge and used the wye to access the old R,W,&O main for passenger service. According to Hojack, it was removed shortly after passenger service to Richland junction was discontinued in December of 1959. Not sure about the dates though, because other sources have stated that the tracks between Camden and Richland were abandoned in 1958, and the last passenger train through Camden was 1956 (freight service ceased between McConnellsvile and Camden in November, 1977). Can anyone confirm these dates?
  by TB Diamond

Camden-Richland, 23.28 miles, abandoned in 1957.

Camden-McConnellsville, 4.5 miles, abandoned 12-01-1977.