• Rochester Railfan Cell Phone Sightings

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nessman

I created a new group for railfans to send pictures from their cell phones to a list for others to enjoy. This is a members-only list - pictures sent to the list are not accessible to the public. For more details, click on the link below.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/rrfcps/

by J.D. White

I wish I could afford such gadgets, however, I'm just a poor man.

There was one early February night (guessing between 9:30 - 10:30) when I was heading north up Attridge to CP 382, there I was redirected by a coal unit stopped smack dab in my driving path. I called CSX to see what the problem was, since it's unusual for that time, and I do not know if it was taking the West Shore route. After about a minute of waiting on the phone, the officer on the other end said the train was soon to get going. I was in a hurry to get home, but decided to wait anyways. What got me going was the caboose (yes, a caboose). It looked a lot like an old PC N-9E class. I never expected to see a caboose, as none of us ever should.

Wish I had a cell phone cam!

by nessman

J.D. White wrote:What got me going was the caboose (yes, a caboose). It looked a lot like an old PC N-9E class. I never expected to see a caboose, as none of us ever should.
CSX still uses cabeese for local shove moves. Could have been bringing it out to replace one somewhere along the way.

by Otto Vondrak

You saw a transfer caboose? Didnt think there were any left in service.

by J.D. White

Otto Vondrak wrote:You saw a transfer caboose? Didnt think there were any left in service.
Well that's what it looked like. I remember this class caboose from back in the days (1970s and 80s) when these were oh so common on an active PC line, once upon a time when it was connected all the way to Rochester.

Does anyone suspect Alcos were moving the freight? lol. Now something like that just one time would have me carrying a camera 24/7/365/100.

by dj_paige

I doubt a camera phone would have been useful to take pictures of trains at 9:30pm.

by scottychaos

people are actually using phone cams for railfan photography?
I have to ask..why?
ugh..the quality on those things is terrible!
why would you want to risk a terrible photo when you can just use your "real" camera instead?
im not getting the concept..

Scot

by joshuahouse

I've seen a few photos of people that were very good quality but I wouldn't have thought of it for railfanning. Honestly tho I really can't see the point of the added expence of a camera option, and I'm even one of those young whippersnapper kids (well mid 20s) that these things are marketed to.

by nydepot

I don't think the purpose of the group was to start using your cell phone as a replacement for a real camera when taking train pictures. It's meant for grab shots of interesting or newsworthy events that you happen to see while out and around. Many people don't have their camera with them all the time or for business travel, etc., but they do have their cell phone.

Also, while replacing a cell phone that is broken can cost $$$, the cost of a new one with a new contract or upgrade (my contract recently ended so I was able to get a new phone) costs as little as $29.95. It's got all the bells and whistles that you see plus a camera. As for breaking one, my sister's husband recently had his fall and it was stepped on. The replacement cost is $280.

Regarding resolution, they aren't that great but Kodak was in the news recently about developing a new sensor for cell phones that will allow 8-9 megapixels.

Charles

by nessman

The idea behind the group was for those out in the field who want to do an "OS" type of report - can also throw a quick picture of the sighting - "Hey - here's what's coming down the line, here's what to look for..." especially if it's ecsoteric. It's a novelty group at best to take advantage of the technology that's out there by relaying a timely image of a neat sighting. I got the idea after I dropped my kid off at his mom's in Hornell. Decided to take advantage of the nice weather and see what trains are coming by (3 trains in two hours on a Sunday - who says the Tier is dead?). I took a couple of pictures and thought that it would be neat to share the lead engine of the 13C with the group, but had no means to share the picture other than waiting til I got home 2 hours later and made it available on the web. Bt that time - so what? The train is long gone by then. Most cell phone cameras suck ass in terms of quality, no debate there! But as stated before - most of us don't carry their digital cameras with them everywhere they go, but your cell phone is with you all the time.

by bwparker1

I think it is a cool idea Les, nice work!

BWP

by J.D. White

Yeah cell phone cams produce poor images, but look at it like this. Let's say that all I had was my "Generio" cell phone with a low quality cam, and next to that sitting on the passenger seat is a pencil, a 16 box of Crayola, and small pad for drawing. I'm no artist, so would you want me to draw you a picture of a train, or would you vote for the cell phone pic? 'cause I don't have my Canon Rebel with me. So what will it be? .. One or Two? .. One or Two? .. 1 or 2?

by SimTrains

I think it is a great idea.

You know that the quality of these cell phone cameras will just keep getting better and better. The technology is still new.