• River Line Radio Frequencies/Questions

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by CPSK

Steve;
Try a roof mount antenna. Window mount are never that good. First off, they are usually very short (ie; a small fraction of the wavelength), so that they won't break the glass. Second, they are located in the wrong place. The best place for a mobile antenna is the center of the roof.
Get a 2 meter (ham) 5/8 wave mag-mount. I've been using the Larsen mag-mounts for years for both Amateur and scanner use. They usually come with a BNC plug at the end of the cable.
You shouldn't have to touch the tuning for railroad scanning.
While you're at it, you might want to buy a 1/2 wavelength antenna to replace the original "rubber duckie" that came with your radio. That is, if you are using a handheld radio.
The 1/4 wave standard OEM for all scanners are not very efficient. I find the 1/2 wave works much better for both transmit (on the 2m Amateur band) and receive.

Have you noticed that the NI dispatcher in Selkirk uses two radio frequencies for talking to trains on the River Line?
They use 160.980 (AAR channel 58) for train to train to dispatcher, and 160.620 (AAR channel 34) for dispatcher to train.
Most of the activity (including HBD/DED's, or EDD's as they are now called) is on 160.980.
The dispatcher often uses the other channel to give train orders to a crew.

I was listening on AAR 42; 160.740 for the NI dispatcher, but for a while now haven't heard anything there except local yard chatter.
Then today, I heard the crew of one train referring to AAR 34 as the dispatcher's channel, so I re-programmed my radio.

I haven't done much railfanning recently, but I occasionally walk up to New Bridge road when I know something is coming. But be careful up there. CSX is extremely strict about trespassing. In November 2008 I made the mistake of standing on the embankment just south of New Bridge when a southbound train was approaching. CSX cop came up on the ROW and gave me a lecture, but no charges or fine. It was the first time for me. Cop said that 2nd time, they file charges.
So anyway; I guess you hang out in the PathMark lot if you're in your car.

CPSK
  by Steve F45

i'll have to stop by the one radio shop and see what they got. Taking the window mount off is going to be a PITA!
  by csxjs

I live right on QR43 and i have picked up trains calling signals from QR47 to QR25 with an old rabbit ears tv antenna i got off ebay for $3 and my old radioshack pro50 handheld scanner. For some reason i cant get the stony point DD.The road channel is 160.980 and the train to dispatch is 160.620. I plan to get a base station and a roof antenna and i could probably could hear a lot more.