Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Silverliner II

Any Law and Order fans here?

The previews for the finale episode next Wednesday involves a commuter train striking a pickup truck parked on the tracks, then derailing and killing a number of passengers.

Based on the brief interior shots of the train I saw on the commercial, it looks like they used a set of Metro-North or Long Island MU's for the train in question.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

by DutchRailnut

It was filmed in MNCR's Highbridge yard using a retired M1a that was repainted to llok like it had crashed. the car is still in movie paint in Tarrytown deadline. The MNCR logo was painted out and next to doors the car logo was NY railways

by AMoreira81

DutchRailnut wrote:It was filmed in MNCR's Highbridge yard using a retired M1a that was repainted to llok like it had crashed. the car is still in movie paint in Tarrytown deadline. The MNCR logo was painted out and next to doors the car logo was NY railways
The train does not look wrecked, unless one of the cars is one that has its nose stripped. (I think this may be 8370, but I may be mistaken.)

by roee

What about the Law & Order Criminal Intent from a couple of weeks ago (it wasn't metro-north, but this kids got hit by a freight train). Then never showed the locomotive, just some box cars.

by Otto Vondrak

The Law & Order episode you are refferring to is supposed to play off the story of the tragic derailment in California a few months ago where a fellow trying to commit suicide parked his Jeep in front of a Metroline commuter train... From friends of mine who saw the filming, the staged wreck looked very realistic, especially with the staged emergency response.

by METSALLTHEWAY

any picts of that car

by AMoreira81

Sorry, I do not have pics. However, if you ride Metro-North between Irvington and Tarrytown, you will see what I mean. However, I wonder if these cars were already marked with the FICX of death and then used for the Law and Order sequence for one final run.

by DogBert

roee wrote:What about the Law & Order Criminal Intent from a couple of weeks ago (it wasn't metro-north, but this kids got hit by a freight train). Then never showed the locomotive, just some box cars.
that one was filmed at the Cross Harbor yard on 1st. av in brooklyn.

by PutnamJct

FWIW I've seen "McCoy" on the train to Wassaic a couple of times :-D

by roee

Who watched the show? What did you think? Looked like all the exteriors were the M1's, but all the interiors looked like Bomb coaches. Maybe the West of the Hudson Cars (as it had the bathrooms at the end of the car, not the middle).

by Silverliner II

roee wrote:Who watched the show? What did you think? Looked like all the exteriors were the M1's, but all the interiors looked like Bomb coaches. Maybe the West of the Hudson Cars (as it had the bathrooms at the end of the car, not the middle).
I missed the show.....went to bed early, darn it!

M1 bathrooms are at the end of the car (as are the ones on the Shoreliner I's) too. But I saw an end door on a car interior on one of the commercials...definitely an M1 door...

by roee

Silverliner II wrote: I missed the show.....went to bed early, darn it!

M1 bathrooms are at the end of the car (as are the ones on the Shoreliner I's) too. But I saw an end door on a car interior on one of the commercials...definitely an M1 door...
Really? The interiors looked like the Bomb cars, with the way the seats looked. Granted I haven't been on a M1 in years (or any of the electrics for that matter).

by Silverliner II

Probably because the M-series cars have the same type of seats as the Bombers.

by mncommuter

Took these shots a few weeks ago.
New York Railway. I wondered what that was for!
(note the FICX marking to the left of the car number)

What's with the graffiti'd M1? Don't see that too often.

by mncommuter

I was able to get a copy of the show, and made some video captures
(and added some critical commentary for good measure!)

La-di-da... We're just hanging out in the aisles
having a great time on our ride home (yeah right)

Uh oh!

Here come the jaded NY investigators.
"Hey, what happened to the ah...
....whatcha callit?? Drivah?? Engineeeah?

Looks like they used lots of insulation and
aluminum foil for this effect!

Cheesy, but cool anyway!
If anyone is interested let me know and I'll try to upload a video clip.