• RIP Vinny Alvino (LIRR Photographer)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MarkW

On Tuesday 8/17, I had the pleasure of meeting Vinny Alvino. He was brought to Coney Island Yard by a friend to see the work going on with the Museum cars. Vinny was so happy to be there meeting new people and seeing the museum cars. You could see it in his eyes. He didn't want to leave. Afterwards Vinny, Myself and 3 friends went to Applebees for Dinner and all he could talk about was that he was so glad to be there and not with the "old geezers" (He lived in a retirement community in Long Island) He talked of his heart condition and heart bypass surgery that he had gone through and also talked about his photos being published in the 2004 and 2005 LIRR calendars. We ended the night with me taking the Subway home and the rest going in a car and Vinny said "Well, now you have a new friend..."

He spent Saturday doing what he loved, Taking pictures on the LIRR with 2 other railfans. About 15 minutes ago, I received a call that Vinny passed away early Sunday Morning at the age of 68.

I am happy that I had the chance to meet Vinny. I was looking forward to seeing him again.

Take care my friend.

-Mark

by NIMBYkiller

While I did not know of him, he sounds like someone who was a great person who will truely be missed, not only by friends and family, but by everyone in the railfanning community.

RIP Vinny

by jayrmli

Vinny was a great individual who I have known for quite a few years, going back to a LIST-NRHS trip back in 1994. While subsequently working for the NYAR, he could be found taking pictures anywhere from Pineaire out to Southold, usually with one of his friends.

Vinnie shared some of his work with the Railroad Museum of Long Island, and as mentioned a few shots have been published in our 2004 and 2005 calendars. I last saw Vinnie last week at the Riverhead Railroad Festival and can say he was very pleased to see his work published and wanted to help out more. Fortunately, I had gotten to see him one last time before he passed. He will be sorely missed.

Jay

by Scrap em All

Man now I will never get my pizzas. He used to chase my train a few years back and ask us to "pose" the train for some shots. He used to promise a pizza for lunch every time he got a good shot. He owed us about 35 pies by now! Looks like he took the easy way out, oh well RIP.

by Bdawson266

Hey Scrap...

Dont take this the wrong way, but that really should be the last thing to be worried about. Getting Pizza! As I know you probably dont mean it the way it came across to me, I just dont think that was thing that should have been said. Sorry if you take that the wrong way, but dont forget that I was your condr, when he said that to us. And he was a family friend....

by NIMBYkiller

Before I say what I say, don't take this as being angry. What Scrap em All did was try to remember the good times, and make humor of those good times(or atleast I hope that's what was intended).

by Fla East Coast Chris

I met Vinny back in 1996. He used to come to PD tower and take pictures from the tower and video tape. When I left PD to go to Nassau tower sure enpugh Vinny came to visit me there. I came back to PD and Vinny was always there on A Thursday and Friday night. I have 5 VHS tapes he made of trains at Nassau and at PD and also my wild launguage tyrades which always made him laugh. The last tape is a trip on NYCTA on the N train and 7 train with a LIRR engineer friend( Diesel Dan). I never got a picture of Vinny but I can see his reflection in the head car of the subway train. At least I have a rememberence of his face and voice. He was always there at the tower asking if I needed anything from the store. WHAT A GREAT GUY!!!!!!!
Chris

by JoeLIRR

I met Vinnie on a NRHS/LIST trip in April of '99. he made my cus, and I a copy of the film that he shot that day. Another loss in the LI railfan community.

RIP Vinnie

by Fla East Coast Chris

Also forgot to say at least I saw him at the Riverhead Railroad festival.. He was so pleased to see me that day!!!! Damn I am going to miss him at PD Tower!!!!
Chris

by Scrap em All

To clarify my previous post, that was by no means directed in a negative or destructive manner. It was not written to be as so. Like NIMBY said,"try to remember the good times, and make humor of those good times". I admit that my sense of humor is on the dark side, but not evil. I remember Vinny from the days working with Bdawson266. He would come out usually on a BH run and follow us from PD to BH. On our small layover in BH he used to keep us company with some entertaining stories of LIRR freight folies and other railroad interests. It was not my intention to offend him, his family or friends, and I would like to extend my condolences.

Scrap

by MarkW

As soon as I have any funeral information, I will pass it along.

-Mark

by Richard Glueck

I used to hang out with Vinnie, Jimmy Mardiguian, Pete Stonitsch, and a few other great guys, back in the late 60's weall shot tons of PRR, CNJ, LIRR, and other stuff. Vince's life had some serious ups and downs, not to get into all that, but his work as a photographer was impeccable. He often said he "wanted to be remembered as the Charles B. Chaney of the Long Island Rail Road". I know for certain that his collection has fabulous Super * movies of LIRR trains from that era, as well as steam specials and just good quality, rare stuff. I hope it is secured or spoken for.

I'd love to get in touch with some of the other guys from those years!

Suddenly, I feel very mortal. Adieu, Vincenzo.
  by MarkW

The funeral is on Monday 9/13.

Calvary Cemetary

4902 Laurel Hill Blvd
Woodside, NY
718-786-8000
Sec 25 Range 11 Plot C Grave 1-5

Meet at the gate by 1:45PM. There will be a 2PM graveside service.

Closest Mass transit is LIRR Woodside / IRT 7 Woodside Station. From there the cemetary is a short cab ride away

by jnewman

I met Vinny about two years ago through a mutual friend. I liked him from the start, and his photos are indeed top-notch (my avatar photo was taken by him, in fact), having sat through a slide show or two.
My best (and strangest) memory of Vinny was when we went along with the same friend down to shoot a railfan weekend on the New Hope and Ivyland railroad. I fell into a ditch full of stinging nettles and Vinny, bless him, went right in after me to try to help me out. We both needed rescuing that day! Oh, boy, we were covered in welts! I hurt just thinking about that.
And his stories! He liked to talk, he did. But he was fun to listen to.
I only got to see him a few times, but those times will stick with me forever (I hope). I'm glad I got the chance to meet him, he was one of a kind.
I'll miss him.
Rest well, my friend.

by phoenix

I just heard from an engineer who was with him his last night and was quite saddened.

I hung with Vinny a few timew and he was real good people. I am very sad to see him go and we'll meet on the other side.