• Riding the Conway Scenic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by shadyjay

I'll be riding the Conway Scenic this Saturday.... going for the 11AM Notch Train, then hitting up the last run south to Conway. Pics I've seen recently on NERAIL show both the U23B running with one F-unit, and most recently, both Fs running. I've never ridden a train out of North Conway, although I have stopped through several times before. I have always been impressed with their yard and equipment on display, and now I will ride their rails.

Any info one could pass along ..... sights to see, take pics of? Side of the train to sit on. The type of seating in the parlor car (dome is too much $$$, maybe another time). Thanx!

-Jay H.

by BayColony1706

the old bartlett roundhouse is a good thing to check out on the way. also, on the non-rail side, some of the granite ledges in the mountains are neat. my personal fav. is frankenstien trestle. and the icing on the cake is the crawford notch depot.. it is a truely beautiful station.

by b&m 1566

shadyjay wrote:I'll be riding the Conway Scenic this Saturday.... going for the 11AM Notch Train, then hitting up the last run south to Conway. Pics I've seen recently on NERAIL show both the U23B running with one F-unit, and most recently, both Fs running. I've never ridden a train out of North Conway, although I have stopped through several times before. I have always been impressed with their yard and equipment on display, and now I will ride their rails.

Any info one could pass along ..... sights to see, take pics of? Side of the train to sit on. The type of seating in the parlor car (dome is too much $$$, maybe another time). Thanx!

-Jay H.
There's a lot you will see. The side you want to sit on in route to Crawford’s is the Engineers side (the right side of the train) because that's where most of the views come from. However if you spend your time in the open observation car you will be able to switch sides. From N. Conway to Glenn station (no stop) the left side of the train is the better choice in my opinion; from this point you will see Cathedral Ledge and get the most views of the Saco River. From Glenn to Bartlett in my opinion there really isn't to much to see. When entering into Bartlett (no stop) you can look out the left side of the train and see what's left of the yard the freight house, Y and of course the round house (no turn table). If you stay on the right you will see where the Bartlett train station once stood which is now occupied by a semaphore. From Bartlett on you want to stay on the right side of the train excepted going by Sawyers River. It's the only section house remaining on the line and is privately owned. Also keep your eye out on the right side of the train you will see the remains to the abandoned rte. 302 that is now maintained as a trail. Some paving and wire guard rails are still visible. When you get to Frankenstein trestle the train may stop for a minute so people can take pictures. After Frankenstein trestle you can't see too much but if you stick your head out you can watch the train twist and turn through the notch as it climes its way up to the notch. About a mile and a half to Crawford’s you'll come to Willy Brook Bridge where you will see a monument of a section house that once stood next the bridge. From this point on it’s the most scenic... going through the gate way and entering Crawford’s Station. Unfortunately this time of year Crawford’s is the end of the line but in the fall the notch train continues on to Fabians where you get to see the Mt. Washington Hotel and Mt. Washington. On the return trip you will be asked to switch sides so people that sat on the (non scenic side of the notch) will get a chance to see it as well. If in the dome car the one extra benefit you get to see is that you can see Mt. Washington most of the time, something that the engineer and brake man could only see before the (first ever) dome car. From N. Conway to Conway you want to be on the right side of the train. You'll get the best view of the Mt. Washington Valley and Mt. Washington it’s self.
Hopefully I have should answer your question. As far as engine power goes... CSRR intends to switch up the motive power every couple of weeks; that's how I have understood it.

by shadyjay

Great, thanx for all the hints/details.
(also thanx to the mod for switching this into its own topic - I should have done that to begin with).

I contacted CSRR and they said I should have no problem "walking up" to get a ticket for the Notch train, this time of year. Fall they said is a different story. But I've never been on the run and fall is too crazy of a time for me. Plus, the weather Sat is supposed to be great, and who knows, maybe I'll catch the steamer (7470) in steam testing, or even pulling my 4:30 to Conway!

I'll let everyone know how the trip went.

-Jay H.

by shadyjay

Boy, have I been slacking! I posted all the photos but forgot to post the commentary....

This trip was by far the best and most scenic excursion ride I have ever been on. I went on August 5, as scheduled, and purchased my ticket at 9:30am for first class on the Notch Train. I was to be seated in the CP Reed car, the first car on the train. First class passengers were boarded by name and had to wait for it to be called. Motive power would be the two FP-9 diesels that have been the regular power on the CNL excursion.

The first class car is similar to the seating in an Amfleet car, but with openable windows. Many windows in the car were opaque but mine was not. The car was climate controlled and the AC was going to keep the temp nice and cool, but it was in the 70s at the station and 60s and windy by the time we hit Crawfords. I walked back through the Dome car to get something to eat and almost missed the snack bar since the window is so low. A sign next to the snack bar is a letter from Paul Reinstrup, president of Amtrak when that car was in service nationwide.

The scenery from all around was unbelievable. We paused on one of the bridges and our friendly commentator described all the points of interest to us, along with the line's history. It's amazing how many accidents occured on this line. Approaching the Notch, the scenery just got better and we even saw some rock climbers scaling the walls of Frankenstein cliffs.

We arrived at Crawfords and to my surprise, we had a 1 Hr 10 Min layover. I was not expecting this at all. I took some pictures of the train and checked out the upper dome seating, and just relaxed at the station.

The return trip was just as good, and I sat on the other side to switch things up and permit others to see the scenic side. The car wasn't that full, neither was the train, this time of year so I could've stayed on the scenic side if I wanted to.

By the time we got back into North Conway, I had scrubbed my plans to take the 55min run to Conway, mainly cause I was 2 hours away from meeting my friends at our family's cabin in Danbury NH. That, and the steamer was still in the shop. Besides, I have to save something for next time!

I posted a ton of pics on NERAIL, viewed at this link:
http://photos.nerail.org/show/?order=by ... =jhogan222

And a full trip report available at:
http://www.shadyjay.com/rail/rail-trips.htm

Needless to say, I will be back to the Conway Scenic, maybe this fall.

-Jay H.

by superwarp1

Man I can't wait to do the Notch train on Oct 7th. Do you suggest I make reservations now or can I wait.

Jay, how full was the train?

by shadyjay

superwarp1 wrote:Man I can't wait to do the Notch train on Oct 7th. Do you suggest I make reservations now or can I wait.

Jay, how full was the train?

When I sent the railroad an e-mail about a week or so before my trip, they said that I should have no problem getting a ticket, but fall foliage is a different story. If you don't want to be disappointed, make your reservations now!

My train wasn't that full at all. Dome was sold out (not many seats there anyway) and the CP Reed which I was in was about 1/2 full, if that. There were only a few people in "stearage" class towards the rear.

-JH

by superwarp1

Will do Jay