• Riders/Station

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by nickrapak

does anybody have the numbers of people that travel to/from each station on the SEPTA Rail lines? I am looking specifically for the R6 Norristown numbers to try and create a case for reactivation of theR6 line to Ivy Ridge. Any info would be welcome.
  by Matthew Mitchell

nickrapak wrote:does anybody have the numbers of people that travel to/from each station on the SEPTA Rail lines?
Yep.
I am looking specifically for the R6 Norristown numbers to try and create a case for reactivation of theR6 line to Ivy Ridge. Any info would be welcome.
From the 2003 rider census (boardings per station inbound/outbound):
Elm 317/ 0
Main 104/ 1
DeKb 862/ 0
Con 379/ 19
SpgM 287/ 15
Miq 309/ 7
Ivy 329/ 12
Man 296/ 27
Wiss 230/ 68
EFls 453/ 74
Allg 10/ 64

by nickrapak

Thanks! I'll try to use this to make a case for the ivy Ridge R6 extension.
  by AlexC

How are those numbers computed?
Weekly averages?
Monthly?

I'm stunned that there is one outbound rider at Main Street. The only place they can go is Elm. That's within spitting distance.
  by Matthew Mitchell

AlexC wrote:How are those numbers computed?
Weekly averages?
Monthly?
Direct observation and counting by a traffic checker. In other words, a single day (for some lines, it may take several days for the checkers to ride each train, but they'll only count each train once)
I'm stunned that there is one outbound rider at Main Street. The only place they can go is Elm. That's within spitting distance.
Yeah, there are some anomalies like that in this kind of data.

by whovian

Sometimes people board the northbound at Main St. and turn at Elm with the train, especially with a nice conductor and bad weather.