• Reviving passenger service between West Trenton & Bound Brook

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by hioo1

I saw a csx MOW team resurfacing the ROW at Hopewell today, not sure if this is just standard upkeep or is this a possible sign of future double tracking?

Personally, I believe it is standard up keep, because I think the track would have to be moved over so that both tracks could have doublestacks go under the bridge at hopewell. But I could be wrong.

by nick11a

Your probably right hioo, it is probably routine maintenance- but, one can always hope I suppose.

by Zeke

I mentioned the West Trenton line project to one of my embeds and he told me if it is not mentioned in NJT's five year budget plan ( it's not ) then the project is dormant. I believe other than the Tunnel into New York the Trenton politicos have ZERO interest in any Heavy rail project, ZERO interest. We truly have the worst political ruling class in state history. The do nothing party, useless except when it comes to thievery and scofflaw.

by KFC Jones

I thought that was the other party...

by CJPat

I withdraw my comment for the sake of peacefulness.
Last edited by CJPat on Fri May 11, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Irish Chieftain

I thought that was the other party
It's both. But let's not stretch this out further than necessary.

Zeke just confirmed what I believed was the case insofar as rail expansion. THAT Tunnel is the sole focus and the rest of the system be damned.

by blockline4180

Irish Chieftain wrote:
KFC Jones wrote:I thought that was the other party
It's both. But let's not stretch this out further than necessary.

Zeke just confirmed what I believed was the case insofar as rail expansion. THAT Tunnel is the sole focus and the rest of the system be damned.
Well, that is the correct assessment at least until THAT Tunnel is completed, if ever! By then it will be 2020 and other forms of transportation (hybrid cars, electric buses, etc) will remain the convenient choice for commuters! So by then everyone might think, why do we need more trains when we have cars that don't run on fuel???? You never know; cars might start to fly by 2040!!! :P

by NJTRailfan

Flying Cars in NJ!?! Oh Hell NO!!! As is you have people who can't drive, tailgate and love to cut people off at a whim in the SUVs or Luxury Cars. with the flying cars not only would you have people crashing into upper floors of buildings but even planes in and out of airports like EWR,TTN and other places. Until this country can stop with the drinking and driving, road rage, and the downright careless driving that made NJ the "Armpit of America" This is one technology I will not support and fear.
  by Silverliner II

hioo1 wrote:I saw a csx MOW team resurfacing the ROW at Hopewell today; not sure if this is just standard upkeep or is this a possible sign of future double tracking?

Personally, I believe it is standard up keep, because I think the track would have to be moved over so that both tracks could have doublestacks go under the bridge at Hopewell. But I could be wrong.
Actually, that was non-standard upkeep. There were some very soft spots in the roadbed there, and usually, CSX lets that kind of thing go for a year or two. Look at the Skillman restriction… :-D I'm amazed they fixed Hopewell inside of a week.

Actually, they've been working on the Band-aid solution at Skillman recently too, so maybe we'll be back up to 50mph again there soon. And that will last until the spring thaws in 2008…and the cycle begins again.

by danny700

What is NJ-ARPs position on the West Trenton Line?

by transit383

For those that haven't had a chance to see the condition of the Belle Meade station, I uploaded this picture, taken from the Route US-206 Overpass, showing the station's current (2006) condition with a CSX GP38-2 as an added bonus.
  by amtrakhogger

Nice shot. It is hard to believe that the RDG had a 4 track main there
many years back. I am surprised that the station building has minimal
graffitti and has not been burned to the ground.

by Badfish740

Can someone help a relative noob wrap his mind around where this train would actually go and what service would be like? Am I right in saying that NJ Transit would have service between the current West Trenton station and Newark via the freight tracks that run from West Trenton until they hit the NJ Transit tracks at Bridgewater? If so, I'm guessing the main idea is to have another Philadelphia/New York rail link?

The reason I'm curious is because I know that a lot of folks who work for various state agencies, lobbying firms, law offices, etc...in Trenton are the ones who are clogging Route 206 and also Route 31 in the morning heading south from Hunterdon and Somerset Counties. I guess with beefed up bus service from West Trenton, the proposed line would be attractive for those potential riders, but what about sweetening the deal by reviving the plan to extend the River Line from the Trenton station through the downtown area all the way to West Trenton? Or would it be somewhat redundant to have the River Line linking two stations that offer Philadelphia/New York service?

To me it would make a lot of sense because if the River Line linked both stations, people from both north and south Jersey would have a quick and easy way to get downtown without wrangling with Route 31, Route 206, I-295, or Route 129. It would also make a lot of sense because I'll probably be taking a job in Trenton within the next year and I'd love to be able to live in Hunterdon without dreading my commute every morning. :wink:

by Ken W2KB

Badfish740 wrote:Can someone help a relative noob wrap his mind around where this train would actually go and what service would be like? Am I right in saying that NJ Transit would have service between the current West Trenton station and Newark via the freight tracks that run from West Trenton until they hit the NJ Transit tracks at Bridgewater? If so, I'm guessing the main idea is to have another Philadelphia/New York rail link?
The former Reading connector west of the Bridgewater Station and the diamond crossing (or a much more costly flyover built) over the Lehigh Line would be restored. Thence to current West Trenton station.

by danny700

From NJ Transit's Website, some information you need to know here:
West Trenton Line

Background

The project involves restoring commuter rail service on the CSX owned West Trenton Line, a 27 mile right-of-way running between the existing Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) West Trenton Station in Ewing, Mercer County and NJ TRANSIT'S Raritan Valley Line (RVL) in Bridgewater Township, Somerset County. The proposed expansion would provide commuter rail service between Ewing, New Jersey and Newark Penn Station. Click here to view a map of the system .

Project Scope

The proposed project includes: re-installation of previously removed track within the existing rail right of way to provide 12.8 miles of new second track; signal improvements; restoration of the at-grade crossing of the Lehigh Line at Port Reading Junction and the track connection to the Raritan Valley Line in Bridgewater Township, NJ; five railroad stations and related parking facilities; a train storage yard, and acquisition of additional railroad rolling stock. The proposed stations are: West Trenton (Ewing Township), I-95 (Hopewell Township), Hopewell (Hopewell Borough), Belle Mead (Montgomery Township), Hillsborough (Hillsborough Township).

Project Cost

Approximately $219 million (2007 estimate). Construction of the project is not funded.

Current Status

NJ TRANSIT is releasing the Proposed Restoration of Passenger Rail Service on the West Trenton Line Draft Environmental Assessment (EA) for Public Comment on November 15, 2007. The public may review and comment on the Draft EA for a period of sixty days ending January 15, 2008.

The Draft EA is available for review online by clicking here.

The Draft EA can also be viewed at the following viewing repositories:
Ewing Library Bridgewater Branch Library
61 Scotch Road 1 Vogt Drive
Ewing, NJ 08628 Bridgewater, NJ 08807

Hollowbrook Library Hillsborough Public Library
320 Hollowbrook Drive 379 South Branch Road
Trenton, NJ 08638 Hillsborough, NJ 08844

Hopewell Library Mary Jacobs Memorial Library
245 Pennington-Titusville Road 64 Washington Street
Pennington, NJ 08534 Rocky Hill, NJ 08553

Hopewell Public Library Manville Public Library
13 East Broad Street 100 South 10th Avenue
Hopewell, NJ 08525 Manville, NJ 08835

Bound Brook Memorial Library Somerville Public Library
402 East High Street 35 West End Avenue
Bound Brook, NJ 08805 Somerville, NJ 08876

Mercer County Planning Division Somerset County Planning Division
McDade Administration Building 20 Grove Street
640 South Broad Street Somerville, NJ 08876
Trenton, NJ 08650

Public comments or inquiries may be conveyed by mail or email, at the addresses noted below:
Thomas Clark
Office of Government and Community Relations
NJ TRANSIT
One Penn Plaza East
Newark, NJ 07105-2245
Tel: (973) 491-8080 Fax: (973) 491-8663
Email: [email protected]

Next Milestone

Two public meetings will be held within the study area; one each in Somerset and Mercer Counties.

Somerset Count Mercer County
November 29, 2007 December 6, 2007

Hillsborough Township Ewing Community/
Municipal Complex Senior Center (former JCC)
379 South Branch Road 999 Lower Ferry Road
Hillsborough, NJ 08844 Ewing, NJ 08628
4:00 PM - 8:00 PM 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM

Presentations will be made at these meetings at 5:00 PM and 7:00 PM.

For directions to the public meetings click here.

Benefits

Construction of the project would provide a new transit option in central New Jersey, relieve parking shortfalls along the Northeast Corridor and Raritan Valley Line, and enable communities to focus transit oriented development around rail stations, limiting roadway congestion and supporting smart growth.

NJ TRANSIT Department of Capital Planning and Programs
November 2007
Also on the site is an updated map on the Proposed W. Trenton Line Restoration.

Link to the West Trenton Line page from NJ Transit