• Restoration of Juniata Valley Maitland Track

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by bwparker1

Posted at the SEDA-COG JRA Website yesterday.
If and when this happens,
it will mean a return to the crossing of trains at grade on a 4 lane highway crossing (US Route 322) outside of Lewistown, PA,
the only one I know of in the country.

BWP

MEMORANDUM
TO: Interested Railroad Contractors
SEDA-COG Joint Rail Authority
DATE: March 13, 2006
RE: Bid Solicitations – Two Railroad Projects
Krentzman Siding Restoration and Maitland Runaround
Juniata Valley Railroad
CC: George Fury, JVRR
Pete Simcox, JVRR
Gary Shields, JVRR
Jim Miller, JVRR
Maribeth Giannone, USDA
Rob Postal, MCIDC
David Krentzman, Joseph F. Krentzman and Son
Brian Eckert, DCED
Paul Jannotti, Jannotti Rail Consulting
The SEDA-COG Joint Rail Authority is hosting two pre-bid meetings on Thursday, March 23, 2006 at
11:00 a.m., at a location along the Juniata Valley Railroad in Maitland, PA. The projects are adjacent to
a railroad customer, Joseph F. Krentzman and Son, located seven miles northeast of Lewistown. The
projects are being run in tandem; however they are two separate, free-standing contracts as the source of
funding is different for each. We are, however, making provisions in the bid specifications that should a
single contractor be low bidder for both jobs, there would be a specified discount offered for both
contracts.

The projects are:

1. Krentzman Siding Restoration – 1670 feet of track construction on existing prepared sub-grade.
This project is being funded by the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic
Development. All commonwealth assurances and requirements, including state wage rates, apply.
The rail and OTM are being made available by the SEDA-COG Joint Rail Authority and will need
to be relocated by the contractor from stockpiles at Julian, PA (rail) and Williamsport, PA (OTM).
Julian is 48 miles from the project site and Williamsport is 70 miles distant.

2. Maitland Runaround – This is a track construction project that includes installation of two
turnouts and 905 feet of new track. It is located approximately 100 yards west of the Krentzman
siding project. This rail facility is being funded by the United States Department of Agriculture
Rural Business Enterprise Grant program. Wage rates do not apply. However, federal regulations
and assurances (ADA, EEO, etc.) do apply. The turnouts to be used are in track in Lewistown, PA,
some 10 miles away. The contractor will need to remove these turnouts and straight-rail from the
Mifflin County Industrial Park. Besides the turnouts, the rail and OTM necessary for this project
again is being provided by the JRA and will be made available to the contractor from locations at
both Julian (78 miles) and Williamsport, PA (70 miles).
Both projects mandate that the contractor must have the ability to provide a bid bond, and the
selected contractor will need to provide a performance and payment bond for both projects. The
time table for these projects is:

Pre-bid Meeting: Thursday, March 23, 2006 at 11:00 a.m.
Bids Due: Tuesday, April 4, 2006 by 2:00 p.m. to the SEDA-COG Joint Rail
Authority (see address below)
Tentative Bid Award: Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Project Completion Date: June 30, 2006
There is a possibility that the bid award date may slide in order to secure concurrence from the
appropriate funding agencies. In this case, the completion date would also be adjusted accordingly.
Bid specifications will be available to the contractors at the pre-bid meeting. There is a $25.00
charge for the specifications that should be made payable to the SEDA-COG Joint Rail Authority
(checks only).
Should you have any questions, please notify me at 201 Furnace Road, Lewisburg, PA 17837, by
phone at (570) 524-4491, or by email at [email protected]
Last edited by bwparker1 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

by AdamCKach

Very cool.

I traveled this route numerous times from State College - 322-the "80s" in HBG-76 to Philly.

Since I have permanently moved to Philly, I have been meaning to make drive for the sake of the drive. I always enjoyed the 322 leg from State College to Harrisburg.

by glennk419

Thanks for the update, Brooks.

My son attended PSU from 1998 to 2002. In all that time and plus a couple football trips since then, I only ever saw a train one time along that line. If the college gods are with us, my daughter will be in University Park starting next year. maybe I'll have better luck on this round.

Rathskellar and Creamery....here I come!

by bwparker1

Glenn:

All State College really needs is the Bellefonte Central restored onto campus and the PRR mainline shifted about 30 miles to the north from its current location!!

Brooks

by Nicolai3985

Yes I'll second that...I wouldn't mind seeing Hammond torn down in favor of the train station that was once there!

by glennk419

Nicolai3985 wrote:Yes I'll second that...I wouldn't mind seeing Hammond torn down in favor of the train station that was once there!
Isn't the train station still standing and used as the bus station or was there another station than the one I'm thinking of on Atherton Street?

by Nicolai3985

From what I understand, the train station was originally where Hammond is today. The newer station is now the bus station (how ironic) over on Atherton. The ROW on campus itself is completely gone, but there are roads (like between Reber and Deike) that are likely where it was.