Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by AMTK84

Hi guys,

I have been told that for just over the last month, they have been doing work to replace the platform at the Geneva station and the road crossing at Third Street. Does anyone know the extent of work, how long this is expected to take, and why this is all needed?

Thanks

by doepack

Construction has started on a two-level commuter parking garage in Geneva, which will be built just west of 3rd St. along the south side of the ROW, and will add more spaces to the permit parking currently in that location. If adequate funding is secured, it's possible that the garage could have a third level added. To accomodate this, the south platform is being demolished, and will be rebuilt to connect with the new parking deck. Project has a tentative completion date of summer 2007; for more details...

http://www.kcchronicle.com/MainSection/ ... 770209.php

by AMTK84

Oh boy, I can't say I particularly like hearing that one! I had just found a nice place to record Metra trains at the very west end of the parking lot on the south side...Guess that's out soon?

by MetraRy

"To accomodate this, the south platform is being demolished, and will be rebuilt to connect with the new parking deck"

I hope there leaving space to one day put in a third main

by doepack

MetraRy wrote:I hope there leaving space to one day put in a third main
It might become necessary someday, and I could be wrong, but I doubt that a third main track through Geneva will ever be built. With the recently added capacity between Elburn and Peck, the current six mile, two-track segment between Kress and Peck is sufficient enough for today's traffic levels, and should withstand even a modest increase in Metra service should that ever occur. If you're going to add capacity, it would make more sense to add a third main between Elmhurst and Maywood; it would be much more useful...