• Replacing the Kawasaki trolleys and LRV's

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by jfrey40535

The Kawasaki's are one of the last pieces of equipment that are not wheelchair/ADA accessible on SEPTA. While I'm not in favor of the policy, I was wondering if SEPTA had any plans to bring routes 10,11,13,34,36,101,102 into ADA compliance.

It would be nice to say that the cars could then be used elsewhere, but in today's mass transit designed to accomodate "the few", I suspect they'd become soda cans.

by MACTRAXX

Jfrey: I do not think these LRVs on either line are going anywhere anytime soon. From what I have seen first hand as well as read,they are arguably SEPTAs most well-maintained equipment. They look great for 23 or 24 year-old cars. There is no current reason to replace them. MACTRAXX

by Wdobner

jfrey40535 wrote:The Kawasaki's are one of the last pieces of equipment that are not wheelchair/ADA accessible on SEPTA. While I'm not in favor of the policy, I was wondering if SEPTA had any plans to bring routes 10,11,13,34,36,101,102 into ADA compliance.

It would be nice to say that the cars could then be used elsewhere, but in today's mass transit designed to accomodate "the few", I suspect they'd become soda cans.
It is unlikely that the Subway Surface cars need much in the way of ADA compatibility given the fact that the Subway Surface tunnel itself is unlikely to get any ADA compatible stations outside of 13th, 15th and 30th St stations in the next 20 years. If ADA compatibility were to be desired, as it likely will, it'd be far more likely that SEPTA would retrofit the K-cars with W/C lifts rather than go through with the expense and bureaucratic hoops involved in trying to get an entirely new LRV fleet when our current fleet isn't even 30 years old yet. If the PCCs can be rebuilt to accomodate wheelchairs then certainly the K-cars can be given a similar rebuild to make them just as accessable.

It is possible that the K-cars should be given a midlife rebuild nearly of the same magnitude of that given to the PCCs, such that the resulting K-cars share as many parts as possible with the rebuilt PCC IIs, from traction motors and electronics to door controls. The one change I would say the K-cars should have over the PCC IIs would be the possible inclusion of a front door W/C lift rather than a center door lift. Given the number of steps required of the operator taking a wheelchair aboard on a PCC II, I shudder to think of how the Subway Surface could screech to a halt for a wheelchair passenger at 13th St. It appears the Champion cutaway buses which SEPTA ordered for Frontier Depot and Krapf's contract operations have a wheelchair lift which fits under their single door and lifts a wheelchair almost the same distance a similar lift in a K-car would have to go. Boarding a wheelchair will likely always cause an extended stop dwell time (at least until SEPTA gets Low floor LRVs), but by using a front door lift which does not need to be folded out SEPTA's subway surface operators can shave off a few seconds and save some valuable time.

For the Rt101/102 K-cars I'd again advocate a rebuilding to PCC II standards. One possibility I've heard proposed would be a pair of lifts similar to that found on MCI's Cruiser buses. The primary problem with this design of wheelchair lift is that it'd both require four seats to be eliminated to accomodate a wheelchair passenger, take a long time to operate, and possibly require an additional door to be added in the middle of the LRV on each side. Given that the LRVs are going to require two lifts anyway, and that stops with right hand platforms are slightly more common than left handed platforms, it might make sense to gamble a small amount and have each of the Rt101/102 K-cars be rebuilt with two of the same kind of wheelchair lift that'd be fitted to the Subway Surface cars. This lift would fit into the same two blinker door opening which sits at the operators right when the vehicle is being operated from that position. The chief problem with this arrangement is that at stops with left-hand platforms where the W/C passenger boarded on the right (or vice versa) the operator will have to push the wheelchair down the length of the vehicle to reach the opposite side wheelchair lift. The possibility of a wheelchair not fitting through the aisle is a very real possibility with this approach, and it might some sense to place the one wheelchair lift in an enlarged left-side door opening (currently consisting of one two-leaved blinker door) thereby creating a car with wheelchair provisions at one end. The operator may have to walk the length of the car to load or unload a wheelchair passenger going in one direction, but on the return trip he or she will have the same W/C lifts right next to them.

As for actually replacing the K-cars, I'd like to see SEPTA buy cars from Skoda to replace both the Subway Surface and Suburban LRVs. I remain convinced that the Skoda Astra and Vektra series of trams are exactly what SEPTA needs to both reinstate service on the 'suspended' trolley lines, replace the K-cars, and possibly begin service on new LRV lines. The 66 foot long low floor Astra could be the perfect LRV to take back the 15, 23, and 56 from the buses, and later to replace the K-cars on the 10, 11, 13, 34 and 36 lines. The 105 foot long five section Vektra could also work well for crowded peak hour runs on the subway surface lines, replacing the suburban K-cars on the 101 and 102, and possibly for a new LRV line utilizing the City Subway and 33rd St to run up Henry Ave to Roxborough, replacing the 32.

Believe it or not there is a very practical side to my advocating for so many of SEPTA's LRVs to come from a single supplier. The PCC II's electrical contractor, Kiepe, used Skoda as a subcontractor to supply the traction motors for the trolleys. Those traction motors are almost identical to the traction motors in the Skoda Astra LRVs which I am advocating. If the K-cars were upgraded to PCC II standards and made compatible with those cars then they'd also be largely compatible with the newer Astra cars as well. Additionally should SEPTA carry through with an order for new E40LF ETBs from New Flyer with Kiepe again as the electrical contractor then both the electronics will be very similar to the components in the PCC IIs, and the motor, while not identical, will be very similar to those found in the PCC IIs, K-cars and Astra LRVs. This fleet-wide compatibility could allow SEPTA to slash its parts inventory and thus reduce its overhead costs associated with running the trolley and ETB lines, perhaps making them even more attractive than diesel bus operations.

Admittedly the problem with this single-source supplier would be that we would be opening ourself up to major problems should the cars themselves have problems. However, by gradually phasing in various systems over the next 20 years we can assure the quality of the Kiepe and Skoda components and reduce the chances of most of the system at being put at risk of a breakdown due to a widespread problem in the design or manufacture of the motors or LRVs. The PCC IIs could make excellent testbeds for the technologies in need for testing in the K-car's rebuild, and a modest fleet of Skoda Astras to initiate service on the 23 or 56 could verify that that design is indeed correct for the city's LRV lines before a major order is placed. All of this means that we'd have a tried and tested LRV which SEPTA would hopefully have a lot of faith in to replace the K-cars when in 10-20 or so years they've become a burden. However, so long as SEPTA views its surface transit infrastructure as a burden and an impediment to running buses for all their surface transit operations then this arrangement will remain next to impossible.

http://www.skoda.cz/PRODUKTY.ASP?Q853A= ... 61&menu=81

by walt

Phildephia's transit operators, historically, have never had a reputation for discarding electric rail euipment if it was still serviceable. It was once said that once Philadelphia was finished with a car, it was good for little but the scrap heap. I suspect you will be riding in those Kawasakis for a LONG time to come.

by jfrey40535

No disagreement here, and I'd hate to see them go if they were still good. Its just that SEPTA is on their "gold plating" kick of the existing system while ignoring some desparate expansion that we need.

They boast how most of the system is ADA compliant, so I find it odd that there are no plans in place to do the same with the trolleys.

by Clearfield

jfrey40535 wrote:They boast how most of the system is ADA compliant, so I find it odd that there are no plans in place to do the same with the trolleys.
Actually, the Route 15 will be ADA compliant when it starts (whenever that is). Other roures will be ADA compliant when the Kawasaki's are replaced in about ten years. ADA compliance also means that alot of stops will be eliminated due to the physical constraints of their location. Be careful what you wish for..........

by One of One-Sixty

jfrey40535 wrote:No disagreement here, and I'd hate to see them go if they were still good. Its just that SEPTA is on their "gold plating" kick of the existing system while ignoring some desparate expansion that we need.

They boast how most of the system is ADA compliant, so I find it odd that there are no plans in place to do the same with the trolleys.
Your also forgetting SEPTA offers Paratransit, for those who can not ride on such routes as the SS, etc. so SEPTA is ADA compliance as they do offer service to those who otherwise would not be able to use SEPTA services.

by jfrey40535

Absolutely, but the insanity is that they have to offer Paratransit AND make the rest of teh system ADA compliant.

by Wdobner

Be glad that SEPTA doesn't rely entirely upon Paratransit vehicles for their ADA compliance, it costs a LOT more than just equipping our system to handle wheelchairs effectively. And unlike the one-time capital expenses to simply make accessible stations and vehicles, the costs of operating a demand-response paratransit service for all impaired residents of the Philadelphia area would never go away.

http://www.ntdprogram.com/NTD/Profiles. ... e/3019.pdf

Under the following link find "Operating Expenses per Unlinked Passenger Trip and notice that every time a mobility impaired person is loaded onto a demand-response paratransit vehicle it costs the state 25 dollars. I think it's somewhat clear that it is a far better solution to provide the impaired with an LRV equipped with wheelchair loading and carrying provisions rather than expect them to rely upon the demand response services.

Of some interest to the topic of the thread is the rather large disparity in cost per unlinked trip between the diesel buses and the electrically powered transit lines SEPTA operates. At a 2 dollar flat fare the Heavy Rail, Light Rail and Trackless Trolley systems all cover the operating expenses they create, while the diesel bus is still 20 cents in the hole. Of course this likely neglects managerial, administrative and other assorted costs which any large organization such as SEPTA creates for itself. That is to say SEPTA sans diesel buses is not going to be profitable, but certainly it proves that our light rail, subway and ETB networks are worth SOMETHING if only the management would get the message. The surprising thing is that the Trackless system has extremely high operating costs per vehicle mile, yet still manages to have a lower cost per unlinked passenger trip than the diesel bus fleet. Admittedly the regional rail system has high costs per unlinked trip, but then the fare is higher as well, so more of that 6 dollars is covered by the passenger's out of pocket cost. SEPTA could forestall the next fare hike by reinstating trolley service on the 23 and rehabilitating the 56's tracks. Why they choose not to pursue the cheapest transit mode possible when they have the infrastructure in place for it is beyond me (and I suspect also beyond most of the members of this board...).

I realize that SEPTA and PTC have a reputation for keeping equipment, perhaps to the point where it has long outlived it's usefulness. I do wonder how much of that is the influence of NCL and it's backers in defunding transit in general and operating old, ratty equipment to drive off customers. However, SEPTA doesn't need new trolleys to replace the current fleet, they need trolleys or LRVs to restart service on the 23 and 56, and also allow the PCC IIs to be used for less stressful purposes than Girard Ave service. SEPTA could purchase a small lot of LRVs for running either in revenue service on the 15, or for testing on the 23 or 56 prior to opening. The bugs could be hammered out in those phases and by the time SEPTA looks for a replacement for the Subway Surface cars in 10-20 years they'd have a readily available and hopefully reliable LRV to use for the K-cars replacement.

by Matthew Mitchell

Wdobner wrote:Be glad that SEPTA doesn't rely entirely upon Paratransit vehicles for their ADA compliance, it costs a LOT more than just equipping our system to handle wheelchairs effectively.

I'm not so sure about that--the capital costs are astronomical, especially for retrofitting an old system such as ours. I agree that $25.00 operating cost per paratransit trip is a lot (and that's a pretty reliable figure, as SEPTA contracts out that part of the operation), but when I looked at the per vehicle cost and the level of wheelchair ridership in a fully accessible bus system (Seattle, I think), it worked out to about $100.00 per trip--and that's spreading the capital cost per lift-equipped bus out over 15 years or so.
And unlike the one-time capital expenses to simply make accessible stations and vehicles, the costs of operating a demand-response paratransit service for all impaired residents of the Philadelphia area would never go away.

But the paratransit operating costs wouldn't completely go away even if you made all that capital expenditure. The experience here and elsewhere is that even when you make the entire fixed-route system wheelchair-accessible, there will still be many paratransit passengers who either can not use or do not want to use the fixed-route system.

Just look at all the controversy that ensues when a transit operator tightens up its paratransit eligibility requirements, and tells a bunch of people that because the fixed-route system is accessible, they're not going to be allowed to use the paratransit system any more.
[/u]

by Silverliner II

While I like the idea mentioned above about the Skoda LRV's, SEPTA does have one problem when it comes time to replacing the K-cars.

As was explained to me a few years back when I brought up the question of why SEPTA didn't look at Siemens-DuWag type articulateds as a replacement car: most articulated cars are too long. SEPTA would be restricted to an articulated car that was only 65 feet long, due to the transfer table at Woodland shops only being 68 feet long, and there's no way to extend its length, obviously.

A 65-foot long car, with ADA provision...and add in that it would likely have AC propulsion and all the other related computer control bells and whistles...you won't be adding much seating capacity.

Hmmmm.....that sounds perfect!

by PhillyBoy890

I think these trolleys look good for there age, and still run good to me in my opinion it seems like the K-LRV's are like what the NJTransit PCC Cars was to the Newark Subway Line...they was in service for 40 years...you never know the LRV's just my last another 15 years....if SEPTA does make any new lrv purchases i would like to see the kind like the Hudson-Bergen,and Newark City Subway Light Rail Cars. I think they would look nice.

by pdxstreetcar

The Skoda astra cars are 66 feet long but they seat only about 25-30 people, they are more of a hop on-hop off kind of car for short trips where one normally stands
  by Bronco

I operate trolleys 4 Septa 4 a living & I will tell U personally that we will not c any new vehicles @ Elmwood district at least another 15 years. Reason being these cars r holding up very well internally & cosmetically somewhat. These cars run like new 4 the most part with a few exceptions. When I go out 2 the yard I am looking 4 certain cars & we only have a fleet totaling 112 so I've driven every 1 & know them better than my own vehicle. Some standout cars r :
9001-VERY FAST CAR AFTER CRASHING N2 HOUSE @ 42ND & SPRUCE
9002-JUST OVERHAULED & IS A DECNT CAR FINALLY
9004-ALSO OVERHAULED RECENTLY
9007-MAY B THE FASTEST THING IN THE FLEET TRUST ME,IN TOP 3
9010-AFTER VOH A YEAR AGO SHE'S NOW NICE
9011-USED 2 B A FAVORITE OF MINE WILL TAKE IF NOTHING ELSE
9013-NOT BAD DECENT SPEED & BRAKES
9015-TOLD 2 MANY OPERATOR'S ABOUT THIS 1 GOT DOGGED A LITTLE
9016-DECNENT
9017-REAR ENDED @ 42ND & WOODLAND 2 YEARS AGO NOT BAD
9018-VERY FAST BUT TRANSFER CUTTER SITS HIGH & HAMPERS MY VIEW
9019-SWEET BABY SHE WORK 4 U ALWAYS
9022-JUST RENEWED MY FAITH AFTER SWAPING 1 DAY RECENTLY
9023-LOST IT'S EDGE SOMEWHAT BUT STILL GOOD
9026-JUST OVERHAULED & BACK WITH A BANG I TORE THE RIGHT FRONT
9027-GOOD SEAT SITS LOW WHICH I LIKE-BUMP'S BABY
9033-JUST OVERHAULED DECENT
9035-NICE VERY NICE
9037-STREET SWEEPER CORNER 2 CORNER HORSE
9039-VERY FAST TAKES OFF ON IT'S OWN DIRTY FRONT DEST. SIGN
9040-JUST OVERHAULED SHE'S GOOD
9044-GREAT AIR HORN & NICE SEAT FAST
9047-USED 2 B MY GO 2 CAR NICE 2ND OPTION
9052-VERY FAST BUT SUSPECT BRAKE PEDAL
9056-GOOD CAR 1NCE SHOP FIXED SUSPENSION FINALLY
9057-JUNE'S BABY & HIS PERSONAL MYSTERY NIGHT CAR EGG INCIDENT
9059-WILL TAKE NOW AFTER SHOP TOOK OUT THAT OTHER SEAT
9061-SHE'S UGLY ON THE OUTSIDE BUT RUNS
9064-FAST WITH MOTORS SOUNDING LIKE A TRUCK
9067-JUST OVERHAULED & NOW READY 4 ACTION
9070-HEMI-POWERED BUILT BY NASA A TRUE ROCKET
9071-1ST CAR I HEARD ABOUT @ ELMWOOD
9072-USED 2 BOUNCE BADLY IN REAR BUT VOH & DECENT
9076-GOOD CAR
THESE CARS R NOW @ CALLOWHILL 4 RT.10 OPERATION MOST R FAST
9077-FAST CAR & I MISS HER
9082-BEAST ON SURFACE & ROCKET IN SUBWAY
9086-VERY FAST CAR WITH POOR BRAKING ANOTHER BUMP BABY
9087-USED 2 SHOOT STRAIGHT 2 THIS 1 WHEN I WAS NEW
9090-1NCE OVERHAULED WAS NEVER THE SAME BUT HALF GOOD
9091-MY PERSONAL CAR @ 1 POINT
9092-DISCOVERED THIS 1 BY ACCIDENT 1 DAY TOLD JUNE & HE RUINED
9093-MISS HER VERY MUCH
9094-PLEASE COME BACK & LEAVE YOUR SEAT
9101-GOOD CAR
9102-FAST CAR ALSO
9104-BADDEST MUTHERHUMPER AROUND EVERY1 WANTS THIS CAR
9105-LOST IT'S EDGE AFTER A WHILE
9109-JUST VOH'd & BACK WITH A PURPOSE
9110-MY NIGHTLINER BABY

So this is my 1st post & a brief summary of my favorite car's n our fleet

by typesix

Your comments remind me about a former MBTA Green line operator who used to write his thoughts about each PCC above on the rollsign cover. He kept his writings in a log and some years after he retired, his comments were printed in the local Boston St. Railway Assoc. magazine.