• Replacement trucks

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by butlerfarm

I am looking to replace some of the trucks on my HO rolling stock, mostly hopper cars, does anybody have any recomendations for a manufacturer.
Bill Butler

by Roger Hensley

You don't say why you want to replace them.

If it's older train set type of trucks, I use Athearn Bettandorf trucks for older stock (up to 1970) and roller bearing trucks for the newer.

If you are needing something else, you'll have to let us know.

by ANDY117

I prefer something with spinning bearing caps, like Athearn Genesis, or KATO.

by butlerfarm

I acquired these Stewart kits and the trucks don't roll freely and frenquently derail. Since I like these Trinity hopper cars which could have been made here in Greenville my thought was to replace the trucks with something that would roll better and maybe even stay on the tracks. Thanks for you help I am old but new to the ;modeling hobby.
Bill Butler

by Chuck Walsh

Upgrading wheel sets can be very-very tricky. Unfortunately they are not
a simple drop in as you would like to think.

First off, modelers generally replace the wheel sets rather than the truck/wheels.

Wheels come in various sizes, 28",33", 36" & 38" but 33" is the most common.
http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/A ... 97xpbs.asp

http://www.nmra.org/beginner/wheelsets.html

Then, you have various axle lengths and this is the gray area. Not all axle lengths are created equal and that depends upon the truck manufacturer that the model car company uses.

For instance, P2K measures 1.008, Intermountain 1.013, KD 1.018. The list goes on. If you don't do your home work, it can be a hit or miss thing as sometimes the axles fit the side frames and sometimes they didn't.

That's because the NMRA specifies minimum dimensions between journals,
no less than 1.038 but there is no maximum.

The rule also specifies maximum axle length of 1.035 but no recommended minimum.

At this point one can get confused. For starters, I would group my cars
according to can manufacturer, Athearn, Atlas etc. Let us know the brands
and we can only suggest a reasonalbe replacement that won't drop out.

The most popular metal wheel replacements are P2K, Intermountain and KD. The intermountains have too much free rolling ability but will get you
to your destination the fastest.

by Otto Vondrak

Proto 2000 trucks are my preference.

-otto-