• Remaining turntables in New England?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by laflamcs

Yes, there is still a turntable in St Johnbury and it is operable. It is the former St. Johnsbury and Lake Champlain/Maine Central table that used to service joint ownership roundhouse long long ago.

...Chris
  by rrr

I remember the North Staford turntable being mentioned near a rail road repair shop on Rt. 3.
does anyone know the name of the shop.-----Also the turntable in Berwick/Eliot ME. area on Rt. 236--I looked on Google maps and was unsuccessful at finding it--I plan to visit. where exactly is it on 236.
Thanks so much- -Russ
  by BR4

rrr wrote:I remember the North Staford turntable being mentioned near a rail road repair shop on Rt. 3.
does anyone know the name of the shop.
New Hampshire Central RR. The turntable was used for turning snowplows on the MEC Beecher Falls branch.
Located just off Rt 3 between No Stratford Depot and NHC's shop. The switch has been removed, but the
table is still there.
  by Mikejf

The one on Route 236 is next to the road. Lets see if I can put the location on here from Google maps.

In case this does not work, the intersection of Fife's Lane and 236, Southwest Corner.

236 South Berwick

This was the original location where the Conway Branch swung off the Eastern Railroad and headed for Conway, NH. Both became part of the B&M. 236 is on the original alaignment until the intersection of Route 4. From there, it goes straight across.

Mike
  by The EGE

Some remains in Connecticut:

New London on the Central Vermont, now hidden under the Gold Star Bridge.

Groton - Midway on the New Haven main line, now overgrown in Bluff Point State Park.

Saybrook Point on the CT Valley RR, now a small park.

Willimantic, now a museum. This is the only turntable of the four where more stands than the base; I believe this one is still functional.

There's also an old one next to a depot on some rail trail in eastern CT. Not sure where.
  by rrr

thanks Mike-I was able to get the Rt. 236 turntable up on google maps

-Russ
  by highrail

This is a link to a couple photos of the turntable at North Stratford. The earlier link does not seem to be working.

http://photos.nerail.org/show/?order=by ... highrail55

The turntable is located in North Stratford on Rt 3, just north of where Rt 3 splits from Rt 105 in North Stratford. Go North about 1-2 miles, at the most. The main line track will be on your left. Watch for the lead to the turntable, which has been cut from the main. This time of year you should be able to spot the turntable...it is pretty close to the road. It is well hidden by the bushes in the summer.

Steve
  by boatsmate

there is remnants of a turntable and round house still on the cape. A club called Pufferbellies in Hyannis which is located next tot the rail yard Has the round table pit (was the last time I was there) filled in with sand for volly ball and other out door games. in the floor out side is concret and the tracks that lead to some of the round house. it has been a while since i have been inside.