• Refitting HO IHC and Con-Cor coupler boxes

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by ANDY117

What coupler boxes can i retrofit to my fleet of IHC and Con-Cor cars so they can have the Kadee type H couplers?
  by Cosmo

I'm considering removing the coupler arms from the trucks on my recently purchased IHC cars and, assuming I can find the material resources, remounting them to the underside of the floors of the cars to allow more swing and reduce the spacing between the cars. Since I'm still in the "Dream it up" phase of this operation, you're on your own if you wanna try it, but I belive there WAS an article in MR a few years back on passenger car improvements that covered this topic. I cant remember the mo/yr or the auther,..... anyone else? Anyone.... ?

by steemtrayn

I used the Kadee replacement kit on my AHM heavyweights. The spacing can be adjusted during installation.
  by Chuck Walsh

[quote="Cosmo" remounting them to the underside of the floors of the cars to allow more swing and reduce the spacing between the cars. ?[/quote]

Truck mounted couplers have MORE lateral truck swing then boby mounted couplers.
  by Chuck Walsh

ANDY117 wrote:What coupler boxes can i retrofit to my fleet of IHC and Con-Cor cars so they can have the Kadee type H couplers?
Jay Bee makes Coupler Mount Pads for Con-Cor budd 72' & 85' HO
cars, # 369-115 in the Walthers catalog. Six pads per package.
You may find both the IHC & CC cars under weighted. If so, just add
pennies to the inside floor. Two sided tape or some crazy glue.
  by Cosmo

.....Let me rephrase, what I should've said:
After seeing the way the couplers are mounted on the BRANCHLINE pass. cars, I wan't to do something similar with the IHC stuff I have. Perhaps removing the coupler arm from the trucks and remounting the arm under the floor so it has a center-sprung swing arm and closer spacing between cars.
That's more like it.