• Red Sox Victory parade and MBTA service response

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

Well the Red Sox, as you know, won the shutout last night 3-0, thus snapping an 86-year no-no streak. That's one thing.

Now, next: How is the MBTA going to respond to the victory parade come either tomorrow (10/29) or Saturday (10/30)? I feel there should be more service, and hopefully, the MBTA will run in "rush hour" mode like they did during DNC week here this past summer.

Any other thoughts guys?
  by Porter Sq

The best thing you can do is stay out of BostonEven if they do offer rush hour service all day tomorrow it still won't be enough. The parade will probably draw twice as many people as the Patriots ones did.My best advice stay home and watch it on tv.On a personal note I was at the last Pats rally at GC and it was no fun to many drunks fights and people throwing bottles and other human waste inside them and everyone if drunk so it doesn't really make for a friendly crowd.

by Ron Newman

WBZ this morning says the parade will likely be Saturday. That shouldn't require any major changes to commuter rail schedules, though I bet some trains will be quite full. There's already some extra service scheduled between Beverly and Boston on Saturday "for Halloween".

by CSX Conductor

Ron Newman wrote:WBZ this morning says the parade will likely be Saturday. That shouldn't require any major changes to commuter rail schedules, though I bet some trains will be quite full. There's already some extra service scheduled between Beverly and Boston on Saturday "for Halloween".
Hello Ron!!!!! wake up !!!!

Do you not re-call the enormous aount of passengers looking to use the commuter rail when the Patriots won the Super Bowl a few years ago.........even with extra trains running (basically all trains and crews on their release time after the morning rush hour), ever commiter train was packed like a sardine can, which of course means that the crews were unable to collect fares, thus it was a huge increase in the MBTA's operating expenses, with no monetary gain.

I totally agree with Porter Square on the fact that people should just stay home............especially with little kids, not just because of the crowds, but also remember that there are always a few small groups of fans that will be drunk, out-of-control, and ir-responsible..........in turn ruining a good time for everybody else.

by Reddy Rocker

I also agree that people should stay home on that day, but if I have classes that day, I may have no choice as I want to get good grades this semester. Therefore I also support Saturday or Sunday as the day of the parade.

by Ron Newman

from the T Transit Updates page:

-------------------
IMPORTANT INFORMATION
FOR WORLD SERIES CELEBRANTS

It is anticipated that millions of fans will attend the celebration of the Boston Red Sox World Series victory in Boston on Saturday October 30, 2004.

First and foremost, if the predictions are near accurate, it is likely to be the busiest day in the history of Commuter Rail, creating extraordinary demand on the system. It is expected that it will be anything but “business as usual” for all modes of transportation.

Commuter Rail will operate trains on a Saturday schedule that will be supplemented with additional service where possible. Crowding and substantial delays are expected.

Tickets

Customers who do not have tickets are reminded to purchase round-trip tickets on the inbound trip.

Parking
Route 128 Station (Exit 13 on Route 128)
Anderson Regional Transportation Center (exit 37 on Route 93)

Thousands of parking spaces are available at these parking facilities. Shuttle trains will be provided in the morning and afternoon to accommodate customers who park at these locations.

Outbound Departures

Although trains will be operated as close to schedule as possible, when trains at North Station and South Station are full they will depart, even though the departure may be ahead of the scheduled time.

North Station

Due to the limited capacity at North Station, four areas will be created outside of the station for the boarding of trains, one area for each Line.

# The Newburyport/Rockport Line and the Haverhill/Reading Line areas will be located on the right side of the station when looking at the Fleet Center from Causeway Street (also known as Accolon Way).

# The Lowell Line and Fitchburg/South Acton Line areas will be located on the left side of the station when looking at the Fleet Center from Causeway Street (also known as the “West Entrance”).

----------------------
and also this:
----------------------
Extra trains to and from Salem, MA on Saturday October 30, 2004 will not be operated on the schedules originally announced because of the anticipated millions of fans that will attend the celebration of the Boston Red Sox World Series victory in Boston on Saturday.

There will be extra service on Saturday, October 30, 2004, which will be operated in conjunction with the expected overflow crowds attending the victory celebration. The extra service to and from Salem, MA will be operated as trains become available.

Regularly scheduled trains will operate as usual.

Fares on the extra trains will be the same as those on the regularly scheduled trains.

Extra service will be provided to and from Salem, MA on the Newburyport/Rockport Line on Sunday, October 31, 2004 on the schedules displayed below.

[I'm omitting the rest since the 10/31 schedule isn't relevant to this topic]

by Ron Newman

The parade will start at 10 am Saturday near Fenway Park and end around 1 pm near City Hall Plaza. There will be no rally.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

the trains are going to be sooooo packed with people, noone is going to be able to buy tickets!!!!

by pdxstreetcar

Does this mean that T commuter rail service from Providence may run on Saturday?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

no, just the usual South Attleboro - Boston trains and vis-versa
  by GP40MC 1116

North Station

Due to the limited capacity at North Station, four areas will be created outside of the station for the boarding of trains, one area for each Line.

# The Newburyport/Rockport Line and the Haverhill/Reading Line areas will be located on the right side of the station when looking at the Fleet Center from Causeway Street (also known as Accolon Way).

# The Lowell Line and Fitchburg/South Acton Line areas will be located on the left side of the station when looking at the Fleet Center from Causeway Street (also known as the “West Entrance”).

As you can read above... It's like everyone going into a holding pen and waiting. All I can say is i agree with others not to go down. But a friendly piece of advice to those going in.. The celebration is not ending at GC.. their is going to be so many ppl.. I would honestly stay right by the nearest "escape route" ..IE- T Station. We should also think.. you think the comuter rail would be crowded.. what about the subway..it's going to be packed.. I would be smart and watch it from the comfort of your own home.. plus i do believe their is rain in the forcast for Sat?

by ST214

hmmm, we're going to operate every commuter rail coach avaliable. But, we're only going to run on a Saturday schedule, adding one extra train. Oh, and by the way, at North and South stations, once the train is full, it will depart and you have to wait for the next train???? This has DISASTER written all over it. Smart peopel will take the earliest train going in. I will be on the 6:50AM Fitchburg inbound. Still not sure about how i'm gonna get back. Sounds intrestering.

I know people on the board are advising staying home, but i am one of the Red Sox fans that HAS to go. It is part of my destiny. Not even going to wear a jacket or sweatshirt, just my Schilling t-shirt.

BTW, anyone else having problems loggong in??? It took me 5 times before it finally logged me in.
  by GP40MC 1116

Yes Early is very good..I use that everytime i go into Boston.. Usually everytime I am in i try and get out before the traffic mess (Rush hour) Use seasoned T Riders and Boston area residents know what to avoid and when. Kind of like Fenway Park after a Red Sox Playoff or World Series victory.. or something along those lines. A point of advice to Sox fans going in on Saturday the parade route seems to be ending arround Gov't Center i believe. My rule would be to not use the closest T Stop as that will be packed. If you think gov't center will be packed try Haymarket or N Sta.. They won't be much better most likley but if you can get down their fast and hop on something that moves and carries passengers..lol your all set. And oo almost forgot one thing.. Buy your token's and CR tic's on the way in.. saves time and alot of wasted stress on the way out! Speaking of the parade.. does anyone know how long this will last? Starts at 10 at Fenway area.. how long we looking at 1 hour or so or 2?

by Robert Paniagua

Reddy Rocker wrote:I also agree that people should stay home on that day, but if I have classes that day, I may have no choice as I want to get good grades this semester. Therefore I also support Saturday or Sunday as the day of the parade.
I know Karl. Saturday (outside the working week is better too, although I won't be there this time :-(. I feel though more families will go outthere too due to the move to Saturday.

Hope things go well for them......

by CSX Conductor

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:the trains are going to be sooooo packed with people, noone is going to be able to buy tickets!!!!
That is why in my earlier post I stated that these extras are a loss in revenue and will actually cost the MBTA far more $$ than it is worth. :wink: