Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#110782  by Genevasub

Everyone:

Happened to be rummaging through my closet looking for something, but instead was pleasantly suprised to find a book that I had lost several months earlier, which was given to me by an ex-girlfriend. It's entitled "Classic American Railroad Terminals", by Kevin Holland. Inside you'll find detailed historical and architectural information about America's major train terminals from coast to coast. As you might expect, an entire chapter is devoted to the Chicago area, which describes no less than seven terminals, including Joliet Union Station, as well as the old Dearborn and Central stations, plus Chicago Union Station in the pre-renovation era. With plenty of pictures complimenting the descriptions, this book focuses on the many different passenger railroads that served these stations in the pre-Amtrak era, and paints a very colorful picture of the the Chicago commuter railroad scene in the 50's and 60's. Indeed, it's a great book, and of the various railfan gifts I've received over the years, this is by far the best. Just thought I'd share...