• Recent UK Trip

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Station Aficionado

(Note: Mr. Benton, if this is not the appropriate place to post this, please move it to the appropriate forum).

Thought I'd put up a post or two regarding my recent trip to the UK. To begin with, a couple of notes re tickets and fares. A couple of days before I left, I made an important discovery about a key difference between a Eurail pass and a Britrail pass. In the US, you can purchase a Eurail pass "on the spot" from a travel agent or other vendor. Thus, you can buy one the day you leave. A Britrail pass, however, must be "ordered" a few days in advance. As a result, I was unable to purchase a Britrail pass before we left. That, however, was a blessing in disguise. We (a family of three) were able to purchase point-to-point tickets for four days of intercity travel (three of those days--the three longest journeys--in first class) for less than the cost of a four-day Britrail standard class flexi-pass. In fact, for two of the legs, the first class tickets were cheaper than standard class fare on the same train. I also note that we were generally able to find cheaper fares through the individual rail companies (even if it was for another company's service) than through the National Rail website (a sort of clearing house for travel on the various train operating companies). Ok, enough about tickets. Now, on to the trips.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a "trainspotter." Instead, I'm a train rider, with a special interest in stations. So, I'm not going to have much to say about unit numbers, carriage classification, etc. Our first trip was London Euston to Liverpool on Virgin Trains. As those of you who know a bit about British rail history are aware, the original Euston station was demolished in the mid-60's and replace with an architecturally undistinguised--to put it mildly--concrete box. It is a very busy commuter and intercity station, with what appear to be wholly inadequate waiting facitilies for most passengers. We, however, got to use the Virgin first class lounge, which was very nice, and which provided free refreshments.

The train to Liverpool was a Pendolino, which made only two intermediate stops. We had a table in a first class carriage. It was quite comfortable, and we received complimentary (though not very tasty) meal service. I found the train's ride quality similar to the better parts of the NEC--not the smooth-as-glass ride I understand one gets on the TGV, but much better than a typical bumpy ride on Amtrak. The train arrived Liverpool on time. Liverpool Lime Street is, for a big city English station, a little on the small side--about 10 tracks, I think. The historical facade of the station is preserved, though most of the headhouse is in non-rail use. It has an interesting curved train shed.

A couple other notes about the journey. After what seemed a quick trip through the north London suburbs, we were quickly out in the scenic (in the pleasing and pretty sense, not the spectacular) English countryside. I did not realize how much of England was still rural and agricultural. My Lord, but there are a lot of sheep in that country! The Virgin train had nice large windows through which to watch the passing scenery.

I noted some, but not a lot, of freight activity. This consisted of containers on flatcars and what appeared to be some sort of hopper car. I did not see a single boxcar during our entire time in the UK. Am I correct in assuming that such are extinct on that side of the pond?

Well, that's enough for this post. If this sort of impressionistic posting is of interest to anyone (and if this is the proper forum), I'll be happy to report on our other journeys (Liverpool-York-Scotland, Edinburgh-Carlisle-London and a London-Cambridge daytrip).
  by David Benton

Thanks for the report , its fine here , a copy in rail travel forum would be good too .
I believe 1st class is largely in demand for business commuting . Pretty much any train after 9 am or on the weekend is going to have spare seats in 1st class . When i was there 20 years ago , they offeed a 1 pound 1st class upgrade for pensioners on the weekends , and possibly on weekday trains after 9 a.m .

it would be good to hear your other trip reports , will bring back memories for me . not just of british food !

finally if you think England has alot of sheep , you should come to New Zealand . We used to have 70 million sheep for 3 million people , the arse has dropped out of the wool market now , so i think its dropped to about 1/2 that .
  by george matthews

Freight:
There is no wagonload freight. Freight is carried in unit trains. Coal and containers are the main loads. Some steel in coils. I don't think there are any "boxcars" in Britain. There are still some on the wider loading gauge on the European mainland. You may see some "cargowagon" cars which are for international trains.
  by Station Aficionado

Part 2. We took a TransPennine train across (naturally) the Pennines from Liverpool to York. This was a DMU train. We were in First Class, which meant beverages and snacks from a trolley. I'm a big trolley fan--I wish Amtrak had them other than on the Downeaster and Acela.

The trip included a nice look at the downtown area of Manchester (many lovely or could be lovely relics of the Victorian Age/Industrial Revolution). Also great views of small towns in the valleys and hillsides of the Pennines. It was raining as we came up the west side of the mountains, but when we got through the tunnel near the crest, the east side was bathed in sunshine. No sign of any freight activity between Manchester and York. The train arrived on time in York. Sadly, no time to visit the rail museum. Rather, a short wait, and we were off on an East Coast train (which I gather is run by the government). This was a lengthy train, with power cars at both ends. Again, we were in first class. We got some delicious sandwiches, but had to pay for them. I assume that in standard class they either got nothing or had to pay even more. Paying for meals in first class struck me as a little odd.

This trip included the best scenery (rail-wise) of the trip. The route comes within sight of the ocean several times between York and Edinburgh. Again, nice big windows, and a pretty smooth ride. A little evidence of freight activity-- we passed a couple of small yards ("goods yards" to the natives), and passed one short container train. We were on time through Edinburgh. We continued on the same train (which ran London to Aberdeen) to Leuchars, about an hour north of Edinburgh. We saw a fair amount of industrial activity around the Firth of Forth, but precious little evidence of freight activity. We arrived in Leuchars about 15 minutes late (we waited quite a while on the approach to the Forth bridge, and then crossed the bridge quite slowly), which led to some grousing among other passengers.

Our shortest trip was a oneway ride from Leuchars to Edinburgh (caught a wee bit of the Fringe Festival, along with touring the Royal Mile) a few days later. This was an all-stops local. We were lucky that the train originated in Dundee, one stop before Leuchars. A few stops after Leuchars, anyone boarding was standing. There were many standees by the time we got to Edinburgh Waverly (a few minutes late). Nothing particularly notable about this trip other than the crowding. From what I've read in some British rail magazines, I gather overcrowded trains (at least in standard class) are a problem on several routes in the UK.

Tomorrow, I'll conclude with brief descriptions of our Edinburgh-London trip, and our London-Cambridge daytrip.
  by Station Aficionado

Part 3. We returned from Edinburgh to London on Virgin via Carlisle and Crewe. Virgin had a much more attractive fare available than East Coast through York. I found the scenery between Edinburgh and Carlisle (once we got past the Edinburgh suburbs) quite pleasant.

We were again in first class and thereby hangs a tale. As mentioned in an earlier post, the Edinburgh Festival was going on. As a result, there were a large number of people traveling to London. The train (another Pendolino) had three or four first class cars. We were in the one next to the standard class section of the train. Shortly after we left Edinburgh, we (and everyone else in our car) were asked to move to one of the other first class cars. The car we had originally been assigned to had been "declassified" to accomodate some of the standard class standees. While it was an appropriate decision (there were plenty of open seats in the other first class cars), some in our car were not happy about it.

The train we left Edinburgh on went to London. We, however, changed in Crewe. The original train went via Birmingham. The one we transferred to ran nonstop from Crewe to Euston. We arrived half an hour earlier than the original train, even though we had a half hour wait at Crewe for the connecting train. Interesting scheduling oddity. The train arrived ontime in Euston.

We also took a daytrip from London Kings Cross to Cambridge on a dmu train. I remembered Kings X from a prior trip to London, but could not make any comparison, as it is under construction. Didn't get a change to peak in the international station at St. Pancras next door. The trip to and from Cambridge was nonstop, and very fast (45 mins. each way). We were in standard class. The route was very suburban until we diverged from the mainline on the route to Cambridge, which was mostly rural. The train continued on as a local from Cambridge to Kings Lynn. On the return, there was a four car train waiting at the Cambridge station, which we boarded. Another four car train from King Lynn then arrived and coupled on to our train for the trip to London. We seemed to fly heading back to Kings X.

A few overall impressions. The British train and transit system is much more extensive than what we have in the states. It seems that every place is connected by either train or bus, with frequent service. The British seem to have mastered the idea of intermodal connectivity that we have not.

The trains we rode were clean and on-time (or close to it). From the British rail magazines, I understand that there are problems with overcrowded trains. Our experience, no doubt, was colored by riding mainly in first class.

I have to say that I find many British stations a bit of disappointment. While historic facades remain, the interior of many stations is a gaudy jumble of shops and ticket offices, with relatively few places to sit down, and not much thought given to make the interiors architecturally or artistically compatible with the surrounding structure. Also, a lot of the stations are at least somewhat open to the elements (I'm particularly thinking of Edinburgh Waverly). They must get really cold in the Winter.

Well, that's about it. Thanks to Messrs. Benton and Matthews for their pre-trip advice.
  by george matthews

East Coast route

The Kings Cross-Edinburgh-Aberdeen -Inverness route is one of several franchises. It has been let twice. The first franchise was to Sea Containers Limited as Great North Eastern Railway. Most users thought they did a good job with traditional dining cars and a high standard of service. However, there was a downturn in demand and they lost money. The parent company went bankrupt and was no longer eligible to run the franchise. It was then let again to National Express. They bid too much money and found they couldn't make it pay and so left the franchise. They reduced the level of service. It is now run by a government company created for the purpose of running failed franchises.

Personally, I don't see the point of franchises. Like most things involving privatising they make running the railway more complicated and more expensive. The main beneficiaries are lawyers. Fares are generally high. (However in a rare long distance trip a month ago we got a low fare by booking in advance, from Bournemouth to Aberystwyth.)

The Cambridge train was surely an EMU? The line was electrified to Kings Lynn some years ago.
  by Semaphore Sam

Station Af:
Thanks for that report...I live/work in the States now, but while I was 28 years working in the Middle East (until 5 years ago) I took 2 or 3 8-day Britrail passes each year. Your report brings back very good memories. Your point about the availability of trains is very pertinent...I would, say, go from London to Crewe, look around the station, and see what destinations were available...usually MANY. I'd have a coffee or a beer, and ruminate, decide, and travel like that for 8 days, ending up wherever my fancy took me; I'd get off and get a cheap B & B, and a Balty meal with a bottle of wine... it was wonderful! Impossible in the States...too few destinations, and too few trains. The choices in the UK were, and are, unbeatable. Might it be the recession that has killed off the goods traffic? I remember waiting on Carlisle station, and seeing very long goods trains rumble through (and dreamed about jumping one...just dreaming!) I hope they will recover with the economy. Thanks for the report. Please send more. Sam.
  by David Benton

I would think many freight trains run at night , given the short distances , and that overnite service would suit most shippers .
  by Station Aficionado

george matthews wrote:East Coast route

The Kings Cross-Edinburgh-Aberdeen -Inverness route is one of several franchises. It has been let twice. The first franchise was to Sea Containers Limited as Great North Eastern Railway. Most users thought they did a good job with traditional dining cars and a high standard of service. However, there was a downturn in demand and they lost money. The parent company went bankrupt and was no longer eligible to run the franchise. It was then let again to National Express. They bid too much money and found they couldn't make it pay and so left the franchise. They reduced the level of service. It is now run by a government company created for the purpose of running failed franchises.

Personally, I don't see the point of franchises. Like most things involving privatising they make running the railway more complicated and more expensive. The main beneficiaries are lawyers. Fares are generally high. (However in a rare long distance trip a month ago we got a low fare by booking in advance, from Bournemouth to Aberystwyth.)

The Cambridge train was surely an EMU? The line was electrified to Kings Lynn some years ago.
Quite right, Mr. Matthews. Slip of the finger while typing.