• Reasonable Long Term Hopes

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Suburban Station

bus ridership is inflated because they use kop as a transfer ctr. the new line is transfer ctr to transfer ctr. it would appear the process is rigged.
  by CComMack

Suburban Station wrote:bus ridership is inflated because they use kop as a transfer ctr. the new line is transfer ctr to transfer ctr. it would appear the process is rigged.
A transfer center to what? If you'd ever had the sardinesque experience of riding the 124/125 up the Expressway or in from Gulph Mills, you'd know that there's no way that even a fraction of that traffic is going to even physically fit on the occasional 92 that wanders over to the KoP Plaza. Moreover, SEPTA would probably save money by focusing buses on the Center City-KoP legs, but they run every (AFAIK) bus farther out to Chesterbrook or Valley Forge; those people get one seat rides to and from Philadelphia, and the load factors are anemic west of the mall.

You're throwing around very serious charges ("rigged"), while clearly demonstrating that you have no idea what you're talking about. Fix that.
  by Suburban Station

CComMack wrote:...
A transfer center to what? If you'd ever had the sardinesque experience of riding the 124/125 up the Expressway or in from Gulph Mills, you'd know that there's no way that even a fraction of that traffic is going to even physically fit on the occasional 92 that wanders over to the KoP Plaza. Moreover, SEPTA would probably save money by focusing buses on the Center City-KoP legs, but they run every (AFAIK) bus farther out to Chesterbrook or Valley Forge; those people get one seat rides to and from Philadelphia, and the load factors are anemic west of the mall.
You're throwing around very serious charges ("rigged"), while clearly demonstrating that you have no idea what you're talking about. Fix that.
a transfer to the other bus routes genius.

the charges are serious and quite valid. I of course know exactly what I'm talking about even if you have a little trouble with either honesty or comprehension. I commuted on the 124 for a while and I'm very aware of the issues it faces (and the one seat ride was perhaps the worst ride I've ever endured on a regular basis). unlike you, I'm able to see the larger picture. if you bothered to read the thread or at least my posts, you wouldn't be making absurd suggestions about the 92. until the latest changes, it was impossible to get to work in chesterbrook by SEPTA without going to KoP. SEPTA is addressing this by shifting the 205 from Phoenixville to chesterbrook though you will have to go from Paoli to Great Valley before you end up in Chesterbrook which will connect with the outbound express (3505). It remains to be seen if the still somewhat circuitous route is a deal killer but for the first time I'm aware of you will not be forced through KoP. Second, I also saw the large numbers of people who got on at wissahickon (another transfer center) which often outnumbered those getting on at center city (effectively a transfer center for many of the people using the bus). There were many times I wanted to avoid 76 but SEPTA's schedules made it virtually impossible to get to Norristown in a reasonable amount of time. Of course the load factors are anemic west of the mall, it's a brutal ride. Still, people do ride many of the routes in and out of the transfer center as there is no other choice. your entire post completely missed the larger picture. if this project is "feasible" it's less a testament to the projects viability than a testament to septa's inability to properly utilize its other assets.
http://www.septa.org/notice/asp/pdf/Rou ... up%202.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by CComMack

The 4,000 passengers a day figure is just ridership at the Mall itself; a through-rider on the 124 Gulph Mills-Chesterbrook would not be counted in that figure. I'm sorry I expected you to know that when you didn't, but it's the truth. Some of that is transferring passengers, which is why I brought up the 92, but the vast, vast majority is actually going to or from the mall itself.

You'll get no argument from me that SEPTA could do a better job with what it has; I'd run an actual Norristown-KoP connector route timed off the Regional Rail in addition to the circuitous 99, to pull pressure off of the Wissahickon ridership you mentioned, but I don't run SEPTA.
  by 25Hz

You know, i think i'll just wait for that KOP-newtown train. Meanwhile i'll be talking to local officials about what they can do to get some funding.
  by Suburban Station

CComMack wrote:The 4,000 passengers a day figure is just ridership at the Mall itself; a through-rider on the 124 Gulph Mills-Chesterbrook would not be counted in that figure. I'm sorry I expected you to know that when you didn't, but it's the truth. Some of that is transferring passengers, which is why I brought up the 92, but the vast, vast majority is actually going to or from the mall itself.
You'll get no argument from me that SEPTA could do a better job with what it has; I'd run an actual Norristown-KoP connector route timed off the Regional Rail in addition to the circuitous 99, to pull pressure off of the Wissahickon ridership you mentioned, but I don't run SEPTA.
the 92 is an irrelevant joke, it has been since I rode it as a kid. the fact that it's still alive and kicking with its 9% farebox ratio says a lot about SEPTA and transit.
many passengers transfer at the mall, as someone who actually rode said service, there was most certainly a change of passengers at kop. most got off, a small but not irrelevant contingent got on. assuming they didn't live at the mall, they must have used some other bus service to get to the mall in order to transfer since SEPTA has made the mall into a transfer center (for better or worse) connecting routes norristown/bridgeport, phoenixville,etc. west of the mall, the 124 mostly delivered people to a handful of corp parks along swedesford rd with a few hardy souls making the entire trip. more to the point you've ignored the riders actual point of origin which is not 69th st. you state 4k riders per day at the mall but presumably these figures are on/off's at the mall which include transfers. more to the point, I don't disagree the mall is a busy place, but until SEPTA runs a reasonably intelligent distribution system and provides real data we can't know that this extension is, in fact, better or worse.
as you have ackowledged, SEPTA isn't doing what it should be. It never made sense to me why SEPTA wasn't doing everything it could to minimize drive time on the schuylkill, or even why it didn't provide any direct service from whereever the people at wissahickon transfer lived.
let us consider two expansion studies and two routes which I hope will be useful.
media line and the west chester expansion. the nhsl and the KoP extension. so far, SEPTA has stated that ridership on the west chester extension (about 1900 new riders by dvprc's conservative estimates) at 4 stations over 6.3 miles (cue asburdity). the media line is roughly the same in length as the nhsl. they both have a similar number of passengers per day. how are they different? frequency and farebox. the media line has a farebox ratio of 64% while the nhsl has a farebox ratio of 25%. the reason? the nhsl has lower fares and higher frequency. these two things also result in much greater ridership. the west chester extension had something like ten trains a day. what would the new KoP extension look like with ten trains a day? the fact is they minimize the operating loss on the elwyn line (or think they are doing so) with higher fares and less service. It appears to be successful in mimimizing the operating loss based on septa's allocation formula. the problem is when they go do study an extension, they look at capital cost per rider. well, capital cost per rider is a function of fares and frequency. all things being equal, more frequency and lower fares would make a project more economical on a capital cost per rider basis.
chesterbrook: SEPTA has a powerful tool in Amtrak's four track railroad (19.9 miles from suburban to Paoli) but the service model is weak, particularly for reverse commuters. it takes 30 minutes to reach paoli on a flyer something that doesn't exist for the reverse commute. These trains are big, they can handle an influx of riders but septa chooses to keep the "bus crowd" off the trains even if they are moving in opposite directions and as a result they leave their rail assets underutilized.
  by Tritransit Area

CComMack wrote:The 4,000 passengers a day figure is just ridership at the Mall itself; a through-rider on the 124 Gulph Mills-Chesterbrook would not be counted in that figure. I'm sorry I expected you to know that when you didn't, but it's the truth. Some of that is transferring passengers, which is why I brought up the 92, but the vast, vast majority is actually going to or from the mall itself.

One thing I always thought about was having a route that ran from Conshohocken Rail Station to King of Prussia and Valley Forge, perhaps in the form of an extended route 95. It would at least connect people who live in Conshey to King of Prussia.

An important note that seems to have been lost here is that the King of Prussia Extension will also have trains that run from Norristown, which would benefit the Montgomery County residents that work in the King of Prussia area. Additionally outside of private shuttles there is a new shuttle service called "The Connector" that picks up at the Norristown Transpo. Ctr and takes passengers directly to the King of Prussia Industrial Park. The issue with shuttle service is the disastrous traffic on 202.
  by Suburban Station

Tritransit Area wrote: One thing I always thought about was having a route that ran from Conshohocken Rail Station to King of Prussia and Valley Forge, perhaps in the form of an extended route 95. It would at least connect people who live in Conshey to King of Prussia.

An important note that seems to have been lost here is that the King of Prussia Extension will also have trains that run from Norristown, which would benefit the Montgomery County residents that work in the King of Prussia area. Additionally outside of private shuttles there is a new shuttle service called "The Connector" that picks up at the Norristown Transpo. Ctr and takes passengers directly to the King of Prussia Industrial Park. The issue with shuttle service is the disastrous traffic on 202.
thanks to our region's sunbelt esque job distribution there are few places with "tolerable" traffic. sprawl has taken its toll. delco traffic is (in my opinion) unbearable whether it be rt3 or 322. 202 is awful and there are several choke points. even 30 which I used to take west to exton many moons ago without much trouble has been bumper to bumper from great valley to downingtown. still, if there is anyone one common thread to the "new" development (or at least a lot of not) it's 202, particularly between norristown and west chester. norristown and west chester are places, in between the two lies the east coast's largest mall, an enormous corp park in great valley, and a series of smaller corp parks most notably chesterbrook but also the poorly designed buildings on swedesford and in KoP.
  by NorthPennLimited

Attention armchair quarterbacks:

http://www.septa.org/notice/asp/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's your chance to get your $0.02 heard in front of the SEPTA brass, on how to run a transit authority.
  by SCB2525

Seems like its all about bus routes. Do they ever have public meetings on RR scheduling changes?
  by NorthPennLimited

You want to change something?

.....but the railroad is operating in a pure state of Nirvana!

You want to make the scheduling department go out and change something?!?! Who do you think you are, a paying customer?
  by 25Hz

NorthPennLimited wrote:You want to change something?

.....but the railroad is operating in a pure state of Nirvana!

You want to make the scheduling department go out and change something?!?! Who do you think you are, a paying customer?
HAHAH. Truth hurtsss.
  by Tritransit Area

SCB2525 wrote:Seems like its all about bus routes. Do they ever have public meetings on RR scheduling changes?
Not really. The Annual Service Plan is really about MAJOR changes to lines. That usually involves bus routes being rerouted to different places. Sometimes they'll throw in major service restructuring (like with the 27), but they aren't required to.

The train lines don't really change enough to justify one of these hearings from what I can see.