• Really stupid DCC question...

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by NellsChoo

OK, I have a really stupid question about DCC. Ready?

Can you use a DCC equipped engine on a DC layout?

by NellsChoo

Ah, now THAT is a simple answer!

I was curious because I have an N scale Atlas GP40-2 with some "issues", one of which is headlights that don't work. I was thinking maybe I'd buy the replacement DCC board for it, providing it comes with lights.

Which brings me to stupid question #2:

Does a DCC board make an engine run any differently on DC?

by mlrr

DCC equipped trains don't perform as well on DC operated layouts in terms of thier speed and eventually pulling power. I've tried it myself. Unless you are using switchers, I wouldn't recommend it.

by stilson4283

There are a few problems using a DCC loco on a DC layout. The best decoder would be the atlas since it is a hard wire change between DC and DCC.

One of the biggest problems is that any sudden changes in direction will not register with the locomotive because it will just think of the change as data.

Also as stated before it just doesn't run as smoothly.

Chris

by NellsChoo

Hmmm... I didn't know that. So unless I have a layout wired for DCC, I am better off leaving everything as basic DC? It's actually fine with me, as I am electronically challenged and find even DC engines to be expensive.

But what makes the DCC decoder not work correctly in DC? Does the decoder really do that much more than a DC one? And how do the new Precision Craft sound diesels run on both?

by Mike Roque

While it makes sense as a transition strategy, there's really no point to equipping your engines with DCC decoders if you never plan to go DCC.

Most (if not all) DCC decoders can run on DC by detecting the simple DC voltage (As opposed to a DCC signal, which is essentially AC). The problem is that there is "processing time" involved in this detection process, so as Stilson pointed out, there can be lag when running in DC mode. As was also pointed out, however, Atlas decoders have a physical jumper to select DC or DCC mode (in HO at least...not familiar with their N scale decoders), so the problem may not even happen with these decoders (I believe the jumper hard-wires the motor and lights to the track, bypassing the decoder entirely).

I imagine the Precision Craft diesels use a similar system to enable running on DCC or DC...so-called dual-mode decoders.

by NellsChoo

Oooops, this has been moved! I didn't realize there was a DCC section of the Forum.

I am still a bit confused. Why does DCC do so much more than DC? Is the DCC board/decoder more like a little computer or something? Do DCC engines use more current than a DC one?

JD

by Mike Roque

On a DCC layout, there is constant power to the tracks, and signals are sent through the rails to control each device (Locomotive, switch, etc.). Each locomotive (or other device) gets a decoder (computer chip) so that it can be controlled via the DCC signal.

The main benefit of DCC is not having to use power blocks to run multiple trains at the same time. Because the decoder controls the movement of each locomotive, each one can be controlled independently, even if they're on the same track.

I don't believe there's a big difference (if any) between the current draw of an engine with a decoder and without. If there is, it is essentially negligible. However, with DCC, you'll probably end up running more locos simultaneously, so you should make sure you're wiring can handle the draw safely.

by NellsChoo

So the decoder is a sort of a little computer. Or is the "computer" more the controller setup?

by Mike Roque

Well, there are "brains" in both the decoder and the command station. The decoder controls the engine by responding to signals send by the throttles (via the command station, which creates the DCC signal send over the tracks).

You may want to take a look at Digitrax's Big Book of DCC for a more in-depth discussion. Your local hobby shop probably has it laying around...