• Reading Company/ Manheim & Mt. Hope

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by David Hutchinson

Can anyone give me dates on when the line going up to the Cornwall RR was taken up? Also, are there any segements left on the lines down to Columbia and Lancaster?
  by Warren Thompson

David Hutchinson wrote:Can anyone give me dates on when the line going up to the Cornwall RR was taken up? Also, are there any segements left on the lines down to Columbia and Lancaster?
While I can't provide exact dates, I seem to remember that the Reading Railroad bridge over the Pennsylvania Turnpike, leading to Cornwall, was removed sometime between 1973 and 74.

by JimBoylan

The section North of the gas plant North of Manheim to a factory North of White Oak was abandoned on ConRail Day, 4/1/76, but the Reading didn't tear it up until after 1978.

As for the Reading & Columbia, I'm not sure how much CornRail bought. (The branch to Marietta was abandoned years earlier.) The middle between Ephrata and Lititz was abandoned on ConRail Day. ConRail served the Ephrata end from Sinking Spring. Its now operated by Penn Eastern Rail Lines, but they may have cut back to Stevens. The Columbia end keeps going in and out of service. Conrail originally served it from Lancaster via the Lancaster branch and Lancaster Jct. to get to the scrap yard just East of Lancaster Ave. in Columbia, so they could avoid the grade crossings in Columbia (and charge for more miles to haul the scrap). Later, the section between Lancaster Jct. and Landisville was abandoned, and a connection was built at Landisville so the Landisville RR could run from there only as far West as Summit Dr., beyond Pa. Rte. 23 in Brukarts. The Middletown & Humnmelstown started serving the Columbia scrap yard for a while by restoring the Columbia (West) end with all its grade crossings, so the middle of the line could be torn up. Some years after they gave up, Penn Eastern Rail Lines restarted the Columbia operation in hopes of serving the industrial park East of the scrap yard. ConRail still uses the Lancaster Branch to get to the Reading & Columbia at Lancaster Jct. to serve Manheim and a connection with the remains of the branch to Cornwall, now operated by Penn Eastern Rail Lines.