• RE: R3 single tracking from Woodbourne to West Trenton

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by aem7

Don't forget that #1 and #2 main tracks are also currently wired for about 700 feet north of Trent Interlocking. They could be use for additional car storage and stub ended which would make for a larger yard.

by westernfalls

Matthew Mitchell wrote: Don't know what's there right now, but the study plan for segregating the passenger and freight operations calls for only three yard tracks, which may be less than what's there right now.
Ahh, a man with a plan. Is the plan available somewhere for all to see?

by Silverliner II

aem7 wrote:Don't forget that #1 and #2 main tracks are also currently wired for about 700 feet north of Trent Interlocking. They could be use for additional car storage and stub ended which would make for a larger yard.
And then a new sound wall would be built to lower the noise level or the residents will complain....

Considering that MU's have been stored up there for over 70 years, why all the fuss about noise now, I wonder. Even before the sound wall, the noise level was barely noticeable...unlike if each train had a diesel attached and running. If I recall, the complaints really started after Split Date, and CSX trains that were outlawed were parked at Trent tower awaiting recrews, or just stopped at the signal during the overnight hours.

Call me callous, but the railroad was there first, and if you move next to one, you should be aware of what it means. Trains operating at all hours of the day and night, at any time. In the railroad's defense, if they bent over backwards to accomodate grumpy residents, a lot less traffic would be moving....

by Rivetjoint

[quote="Silverliner II"]CSX would have to make one hell of a diversion around the MU yard at West Trenton, and given the hill there, they'd need a lot of land to make the curve smooth enough to maintain a 40 or 50mph speed limit.

That proposed diversion around the MU yard is going to bring those CSX freights closer to an apartment complex that's been built in the last year
or two, so now they'll no doubt have to appease those neighbors (and Ewing Township) with noise barriers.

by glennk419

Silverliner II wrote:Call me callous, but the railroad was there first, and if you move next to one, you should be aware of what it means. Trains operating at all hours of the day and night, at any time. In the railroad's defense, if they bent over backwards to accomodate grumpy residents, a lot less traffic would be moving....
These are the same class of Stella Award candidates and NIMBY's who move into a house along a golf course and complain that their properties are getting pelted with golf balls and goose dung all of the time. They live by the premise that ignorance IS an excuse!

But I digress....soapbox relinquished.
Last edited by glennk419 on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Silverliner II

By the way, the ROW is 4 tracks wide between CP-Wood and Yardley, and then again just south of West Trenton Station.

Given an even more creative reconfiguration at CP-Wood, SEPTA could add a third track on the west side of the ROW, thus keeping double track all the way to Yardley, and then dealing with a single-track bottleneck from there to West Trenton Station. Creative scheduling, of course, will eliminate the conflicts that could occur on that stretch.

As for the MU yard, main tracks 1 and 2 could become yard tracks, the runner could be extended a bit to become a third yard track, and current yard track 1 could remain to maintain their current 4-track yard capacity.

CSX could then operate over the former SEPTA #2 track solo up to West Trenton, skirt the relocated MU yard via old yard track #2 or #3, then rejoin the old mainline alignment north of the yard with an interlocking to make old #1 track a passing siding between CP-Wing and the north end of the yard.

I would say that a CSX passing siding could be built using the east side of the ROW between CP-Wood and Yardley, but it would actually be useless for holding trains because of all the road crossings. I often have run trains that when crossing Edgewood Road, still had the rear end crossing Township Line Road just north of CP-Wood, so a siding for freight between those points would be impractical.

Of course, with a little creative dispatching on SEPTA's part....none of this would even need proposing.

by Rivetjoint

glennk419 wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:Call me callous, but the railroad was there first, and if you move next to one, you should be aware of what it means. Trains operating at all hours of the day and night, at any time. In the railroad's defense, if they bent over backwards to accomodate grumpy residents, a lot less traffic would be moving....
These are the same class of Stella Award candidates and NIMBY's who move into a house along a golf course and complain that their properties are getting pelted with golf balls and goose dung all of the time. They live by the premise that ignorance IS an excuse!

But I digress....soapbox relinquished.
Glenn, I hear ya. Used to manage golf courses and a rough statistic is that 80% of the people who buy homes along a golf course don't even play golf. Often these are folks who have moved from a more urbanized environment and think the suburbs are "country". Best complaint I ever got was the woman who moved into her condo right next to one of our ponds on the 17th hole. Turns out her husband couldn't get any sleep due to the noise of all the bullfrogs and wanted to know what we were going to do about it...(needless to say, nothing). :wink: