• RDC-3 Floor Plan

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by clehman

Hello - I have been unable to locate the floor plan for a typical (as built or NYC) RDC-3. I have the floor plans for RDC-1, RDC-2, & RDC-4. Does anyone know where I can obtain the floor plan of an RDC-3? I have the book "Doodlebug Country" which has the floor plan of a Rock Island RDC-3 on page 60, but this does not look typical, as the large side doors seem to be blocked off and the entire front end is an RPO, with no baggage section. I've been considering purchasing the book "RDC: the Budd Rail Diesel Car," but have put it off because I don't know if this book contains floor plans. Does anyone know? Thank you in advance for any help you can be - it's really appreciated.

by arnstg

You are on the right track. (bad pun)

I checked my copy of "The Passenger Car Library" Vol. 2 by W. David Randall. It indicates that NYC had 3 RDC-3 numbered M-497 - M-499.

It indicates that the baggage section extended to where the exhaust ducts from the motors protrude. The door to coach section is where the ducts protrude into the baggage section.

Hope this helps.
  by Noel Weaver

clehman wrote:Hello - I have been unable to locate the floor plan for a typical (as built or NYC) RDC-3. I have the floor plans for RDC-1, RDC-2, & RDC-4. Does anyone know where I can obtain the floor plan of an RDC-3? I have the book "Doodlebug Country" which has the floor plan of a Rock Island RDC-3 on page 60, but this does not look typical, as the large side doors seem to be blocked off and the entire front end is an RPO, with no baggage section. I've been considering purchasing the book "RDC: the Budd Rail Diesel Car," but have put it off because I don't know if this book contains floor plans. Does anyone know? Thank you in advance for any help you can be - it's really appreciated.
If the book that you refer to is titled "Budd Car The RDC Story" by
Chuck Crouse, this particular book has loads of data including diagrams
of all the models and I highly recommend it not only for the floor plans
but for the other interesting reading and information that is in this book.
This book came out in 1990 and I am not sure whether it is still in print or
not but if you can find a copy, it will be well worth your while.
There was another book about Budd Cars that came out around the same
general time but I have never read that one.
The following might help you:

www.ronsbooks.com

Noel Weaver

by clehman

Thank you all for the quick responses and leads, especially to 'trlinkcasco' the link to the NYC Lightweight Passenger Car Roster on the CASCO Web site.