• RCRY Intermodal Service ?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by wolfboy8171981

From ProgessiveRailroading.com

12/27/2005 Raritan Express Corridor
New Jersey short line to launch express intermodal service with NS, CSXT

Raritan Central Railway L.L.C. is getting ready to open the Raritan Express Corridor. In conjunction with Norfolk Southern Railway and CSX Transportation, the 16-mile short line plans to launch an intermodal rail shuttle service between Port Newark/Elizabeth Marine Terminal and the Raritan Center Industrial Park in Edison, N.J.

Raritan Express Corridor will offer off-dock transportation, self-contained transloading and logistics services, including a daily rail shuttle, warehousing and distribution operations.

“The new service will help reduce congestion in Port Newark, which will allow better utilization of the existing infrastructure, improve highway safety, remove large numbers of overweight trucks from area roads … and better facilitate distribution to the larger marketplace from Philadelphia to New York City,” according to a Raritan Central Railway marketing brochure.

The corridor is the first step toward creating a multi-modal complex at the industrial park, Raritan Central officials said. The short line also plans to construct Port Raritan, the railroad’s own port with on-dock rail service, and a domestic intermodal terminal. The port would reload containers dockside onto smaller vessels for short sea shipping to other ports, including those in Albany, N.Y., and Norfolk, Va.

by JLo

. The short line also plans to construct Port Raritan, the railroad’s own port with on-dock rail service, and a domestic intermodal terminal.
Where exactly would Port Raritan be, the old Camp Kilmer loading piers or somewhere else?

by Jtgshu

WOW!!!

Boy, thats an interesting little operation they got going over there -

My buddy and I were watching them drill yesterday, there are a LOT of cars in that complex!!!

Weren't they looking into rebuilding a connection or something with the abandoned end of the Perth Amboy Industrial or something last year? (thats the line that goes over teh GSP next to the ramp for 440/Industrial Ave west off of 287, isn't it)

I can't imagine Amtrak would be too thrilled with them running these trains on the NEC to Metuchen Yard, so are they gonna come down the Chem Coast and up the Perth Amboy branch to whereever? (im not real familiar with the trackage in P.A.) to avoid Amtrak, would seem to be the smart thing to do, and a pretty direct line from Port Newark/Elizabeth to Raritan Center

Im sure the Coast Line dispatcher will be thrilled dealing with the extra moves at Wood, and the extra openings of River draw - hahhahhaa

by railroadcarmover

The dock will be located at the Raritan Center waterfront area. Tracks will be installed to access it on an old ROW that had been covered and OOS since the late 70's. There is also alot of trackage planned for car storage and transloading. All new rail, all new ties. Heller Park contains 2 GP9/10? units. Raritan Center contains a GP9/10? and the 2 B23-7's.

There are cars everywhere. Prolly over 100.

by njt4172

railroadcarmover wrote:The dock will be located at the Raritan Center waterfront area. Tracks will be installed to access it on an old ROW that had been covered and OOS since the late 70's. There is also alot of trackage planned for car storage and transloading. All new rail, all new ties. Heller Park contains 2 GP9/10? units. Raritan Center contains a GP9/10? and the 2 B23-7's.

There are cars everywhere. Prolly over 100.
Are you referring to the old CNJ ROW that goes through Elizabeth and under the NE Corridor?? It would be neat if this this portion of the line saw trains once again!!

Thanks,
Steve

by railroadcarmover

This dock is located in Edison NJ. Its just past the Carberundum plant in Keasby.

by nick11a

I'm confused. Which territory is this train gonna run along? Newark along the Chemical Coast to Wood accross the Rartian Bridge to SA and then south along the Amboy Secondary up to the running track and then north to the Raritan facility near South Amboy?

Or is this operation going to the Raritan center in Perth Amboy which would at Wood head up to the Perth Amboy running track and then head east to Fords and to that area?

by railroadcarmover

The latter is the route that "could" be taken, but IMO i do not expect to see the traffic routed off the NEC to Metuchen yard and then to the Bonhampton branch down to the RCRY and then moved over to the Perth Amboy connection.
I was told that the costs would be too much to rehab the line from Perth Amboy to the exixting trackage off of Industrial Avenue. Then again, anything could be possible.

by wolfboy8171981

Nick, This will be a Raritan Center thing not Heller Industrial Park. And yes even guys on Conrail get the two Heller Parks confusied. It sounds like it will be container traffic. It can go two ways. 1. traffic can go from Port Newark to Oak Island and mixed into the regular Metuchen traffic. 2. This option would most likely be if traffic was huge would be South on the Chemical Coast to Wood for the Perth Amboy Industrial track and into Perth Amboy that way. But I'm not sure what track work if any has been done.

by JLo

I'm wondering if your option two is doable, wolfboy. You will soon have additional freight from Staten Island on the Chemical Coast without much track improvements. I would think it would be difficult to add yet even more traffic on the CC absent some serious track work.
  by b&m617

If anyone could make it happen, Eyal Shapira and company could!!! He's built up quite an operation!! :P

Work safe
derail

by Jtgshu

If its container traffic, It will have to be single level containers (well, in the future, if the service really takes off) because double stacks can't fit under the NEC SIRT bridge in Linden (found that out a few years ago, THAT was a fun night!!!!)

Would there be any clearance issues via the Chem Coast and PA Industrail? This sounds to me like it has the potential for another "Sparta Mountain" but this time, through the city of Perth Amboy!! hahahah

the whole concept seems like a great idea, it would be a sort of "blow off valve" for Port Newark/elizabeth....and god knows there is plenty of land down there for them to build a monster facility....

Best of luck to the RCRY

by nick11a

wolfboy8171981 wrote:Nick, This will be a Raritan Center thing not Heller Industrial Park. And yes even guys on Conrail get the two Heller Parks confusied. It sounds like it will be container traffic. It can go two ways. 1. traffic can go from Port Newark to Oak Island and mixed into the regular Metuchen traffic. 2. This option would most likely be if traffic was huge would be South on the Chemical Coast to Wood for the Perth Amboy Industrial track and into Perth Amboy that way. But I'm not sure what track work if any has been done.
Oh, thanks Wolf for clearing that up. :-) Very interesting indeed. I'm curious to see how they work this one out. Of note, this could mean an increase for ME10 or an additional Metuchen to Oak Island train depending on traffic. Sometimes the ME10 is real short- 20 cars. However, some days I've seen it with 75 or 80 cars (but not as common.)

by dave76

Wow that would awsome for them to rehab the Perth Amboy branch, I live in edison and would love to see that. Think about it RC could come down the coast line and on the PA Branch to raritan, NS could pick up acsses the yard from the northern end of the PA branch in South Plainfield, and pickup the stck cars that way. This would couse no interference with the NEC. Mabe I'm dreaming to much.

by njt5140

Wow that would be fantastic!! Having the Centre almost in my back yard it would be cool to have an intermodal terminal there. Kudos to the RCRY if they can pull it off, and may explains some of the work they've been doing on the PA branch recently! It's funny though out of all the places I've gone to, the RCRY is one RR I haven't explored yet!