• Raritan River RR - Milltown Frieght House

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by carajul

Did we ever find out who owns the RRRR freight station in Milltown? I am interested in purchasing it and refurbing it. I think it would make a great project. I was in NJ 2 weeks ago and it was sad to see the current condition. Even 10 yrs ago it was in good shape.

I can see 2 problems though...
1. The current owner doesn't want to sell, but won't refurb it either.
2. The current owner will sell, but will want a ton of $ for it.

I've emailed several Milltown officials and NS but got no responce.

If anyone is in Milltown can you get the name of the attorney whose office is that large yellow story book house next to the freight station and post it here.

by Metalrailz

I say we do the same thing the government likes to do, just take it from the person who owns it. Claim it as emminent domain, or declare it abandoned, and uninhabitable.

by CJPat

Now, under the "new interpretation" of the emminent domain law, you don't have to prove uninhabitable, abandoned or even a public hazard. All you got to do is take the property and sell it to someone who is going to use it for a commercial enterprise and then claim you are bringing money and jobs into the town for the good of the township's economic health.

by transit383

It would be neat to restore the siding over there as well and someday have some equipment to display at the station...

by TAMR213

transit383 wrote:It would be neat to restore the siding over there as well and someday have some equipment to display at the station...
Dosen't the URHS or someone assosiated with the proposed museum have 1 or 2 of the RRRR SW9's? And whatever happened to that RRRR boxcar that Conrail was using as a yard office/shed out in PA?

by Tom_E_Reynolds

For the record, all efforts to find any of the SW900s have failed. I believe they were all scrapped.

BoxCar 100 is alive and well in Quakertown, PA at the Reading Station.
http://www.raritanriver-rr.com/BoxCar100.htm

Caboose #7 is at Allaire State Park, painted Yellow and Red, and lettered for the Raritan River RR, and used as the office of the Pine Creek RR that runs on a circular track in the park.

Caboose #8 is being used for storage in Ivyland, PA, being painted Reading Red.
http://www.raritanriver-rr.com/RRRRCaboose8.htm

Caboose #10 is at Port Murray, NJ, paint stripped, awaiting restoration.

Pictures to follow (eventually)

The Milltown Freight Station is owned by the Law Office next door. Back in the spring a friend of mine got the keys and let us in for the day. They were renting it out for a few years, but today its just used for storage.

I have some pictures of that day too, just need the time and energy to post them.

hope this helps!
Last edited by Tom_E_Reynolds on Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Tom_E_Reynolds

If I recall, the current owner said it would cost $75,000 to refurbish the station back to code so it could again be legally rented and occupied.

by transit383

Even though I live in the area, I've been waiting years to photograph a train passing the old Milltown Station. Last week, I accomplished it!

CSX 4412 in Milltown

by nick11a

Good job Gerald! I tried before winter break with no luck. I heard a horn though when I was there and it was a bit east of the station doing work presumably. I guess they had already gone to Silverline for the day. What time was that photo taken out of curiosity so the next time I get a chance I can try to catch it again?

by transit383

Thursday at around 2:45PM. I've heard horns in the 4:00 hour in the past, I guess that is the return trip, seems to be a hit or miss train though.....

by nick11a

transit383 wrote:Thursday at around 2:45PM. I've heard horns in the 4:00 hour in the past, I guess that is the return trip, seems to be a hit or miss train though.....
And I seem to get more of the miss part of it. :-D Thanks, maybe I'll try again sometime when I get a chance in the next few months.

by transit383

In all my years, I've only seen the train on the northern end of the Sayreville Running Track a few times (I can count them on one hand). I've heard the horns numerous times, but by the time you get out there the train is gone....

Last week I saw the train approaching the Ryders Lane grade crossing (near the ACME) and I was fortunate enough to have my camera with me, so I drove over to the Milltown Freight House on Washington Avenue to capture that picture. That photo was more luck than anything else!