• Railside Restaurants

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by trainman2

The deli in Vernon is called "Place by the Tracks". It's actually inside the old L&HR station, but the track is now ours. (NYS&W).

I've bought lunch there myself a few times. If you saw the yellow van with the crossing gates on top within the last six months, that was me.

We also like to stop at Rich's deli on route 23 near Stockholm. Their outdoor tables are right beside the track. Look for me at the Silver Grove Road crossing down the street.

In my younger days, I remember a Stewart's Drive-in beside the former PRR main in Elizabeth. Anybody remember where it was, and if it's still there?

by OCtrainguy

The Southern House in Pt. Beach was a great spot before it burned down. My son would always ask the hostess to seat us at the windows overlooking Route 35 and the NJCL.

There is another restaurant that I have not been to, and forgotten the name of, but it is in Woodbury, where two Conrail Shared Assets lines split. Only been out there twice, so I am not overly familiar with the area. Just remember the tracks and restaurant there.

by mgdemarco2

This is an interesting subject that should be brought back to life. Recently I've the chance to sample a few trackside bars.

The Tun Tavern is right next to the Atlantic City station. This place is actually a brewpub. They have a wide variety of beers. However, the food is way overpriced. $8.95 for 4 shrimp?! The crowd seems to include many visiting the convention center for business.

The nice thing about the AC station is the free jitneys that will take you around town. This obviously adds to the number of places that can be easily visited, such as the Irish Pub or the beach bars.

I went to Madison's Pub a while ago and I was very impressed. The bar is very clean and festive. Madison’s has good beers on tap, and great inexpensive food. I also like how this place has riverline schedules and has tied itself to the train. Madison's Pub is just south of the Riverside station.

While in Trenton I went to Lorenzo's Cafe. $5 lagers?!...what are we in Manhattan?! The lunch was good. This place prides itself on its clientele, the rich and powerful in Trenton and visitors such as Donald Trump. Definitely an interesting place to relax.

by BlockLine_4111

On PVL:
Saloon in Pearl River, NY
Daveys Locker in Montvale
PJ's in Westwood

On ML:
Trackside in Ramsey (expensive)
ABG in Allendale
Office in Ridgewood

On BCL:
Railroad Cafe in E. Rutherford

by Bobby S

Ramapo Valley Brewing Company, Suffern NY well... name might be changed soon but... Fresh brewed beer and new killer menu!!! Includ. 4 cheese french onion soup, and stuffed mush w lump crabmeat!! Priced right!!! Right across from the Station!!!

by chuchubob

mgdemarco2 wrote:
I went to Madison's Pub a while ago and I was very impressed. The bar is very clean and festive. Madison’s has good beers on tap, and great inexpensive food. I also like how this place has riverline schedules and has tied itself to the train. Madison's Pub is just south of the Riverside station.
I also tried Madison Pub and was equally impressed.
NJT River LINE car #3513: http://www.transitspot.com/gallery/NJT- ... 4_03_13_33
  by wantsrail

A few months ago the Cafe Anglique opened in the TENAFLY STATION.

The Old Waiting Room was kept intact and tastefully re-decorated.

The service area has been put in the ticket and freight offices area.

Unfortunately there is only one round trip freight, only on weekdays.

To compensate, a 13 foot copy, of a 1859 map of the Northern Line, has been placed on one wall.

They have sandwiches, soups & salades, and the greatest varities of deserts and teas and coffees.

But the map alone is worth the trip, you could spend hours studying it. :-D :P

by Metalrailz

Sherbans Diner in South Plainfield on the Lehigh Line,
The Rail(formerly Georges Station) in Bound Brook

by trainfreak

Theres a little deli in Butler right across the road from where the NYSW tracks go right through the center of town. We stopped there once waiting for a train but werent able to get anything to eat because the train blasted through town right when we were about to order so we just said screw the food and started the chase.

by JLo

They have sandwiches, soups & salades, and the greatest varities of deserts and teas and coffees.
As it is a bit out of my way, I have to at least know how the food is.
  by PDT009

Although I don't believe it to be 'trackside', the Long Valley Pub & Brewery has a New Jersey railroad connection. They serve a beer called "Hookerman's Light". I've been meaning to get up there to try it however, it's a long haul to NJ from Texas. My brother bought a "Hookerman's Light Beer" t-shirt for me on his last trip to North Jersey.
He said it was good beer and wouldn't cost you an arm and ...well.....
I'll leave it at that.

Pete
Mesquite, TX

by CRB

nick11a wrote:Also, I have heard that Pizza places in Hoboken are out of this world.
I haven't lived there for 15 years, but it was true back then.

by Ken W2KB

The Long Valley Pub is about 500 feet east of what was the CNJ High Bridge Branch. No rail connection as such, but a good restaurant.

by Ken W2KB

And speaking of High Bridge, there is a restaurant in the former CNJ freight station across the tracks from the passenger station. Haven't been there since its management changed so can't rate the place.

by trainfreak

Theres a pizza place in Newark Penn that serves a really good pizza. I dont know the name all i know is that when i go there to railfan i wont leave without a slice...or two from that place.