• Railroad Trademarks

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by SD Shortline

Union Pacific - the flag on the flanks, wings on the nose, red, white, and blue herald, and the relatively basic out of the box motive power.

SD Shortline
  by thebigc

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:SOUTHERN RAILWAY & NORFOLK & WESTERN, PLASTIC BAG, AND A BUCKET, INSTEAD OF A TOILET.
Not that the normal loco toliets are anything to write home about!! :wink:
glennk419 wrote:Reading Railroad - rain gutters on cab roof of diesel hood units
Excellent. Diagnostic, indeed.

How about Hancock air whistles on exNH locos?

D/B grids on LV pups?

Flexi-Coil trucks on exCR SD-40-2's?

Those center nose markers on exFrisco units?

Slotted battery box covers, as opposed to louvered, on B&O units?

Hey, this is kinda fun!!

by thebigc

And one more: A SD-45 with no D/B's can only mean C&NW!!

by trainiac

These are really interesting! I've noticed many trademarks on various roads, but most have already been mentioned. Here are a couple more:

CN GP38, GP40, SD40: split air reservoirs (fuel filler in the middle)

Many Canadian-built 2nd generation EMD units: cab-mounted bell, nose headlight, triple classification lights, ladder-type steps, Canadian-tuned Nathan M3 or K3 horns, winterization hatch over first fan, smooth blower duct

CP late GP38-2 & SD40-2: late-style blower duct

by NHRDC121

Not ALL New Haven diesels had Hancock Air Whistles, the single note "duck" horn was the norm until McGinnis showed up.

by SRS125

Ann Arbor Railroads GP35's rideing on ALCO Blomburg Trucks.

by trainmaster_1

trainiac wrote:Many Canadian-built 2nd generation EMD units: cab-mounted bell, nose headlight, triple classification lights, ladder-type steps, Canadian-tuned Nathan M3 or K3 horns, winterization hatch over first fan, smooth blower duct

CP late GP38-2 & SD40-2: late-style blower duct
CP's SD40-2 and SD40-2F, rear single light, anti-climber and PTC and all that other stuff Michael just said too. :-D

by thebigc

NHRDC121 wrote:Not ALL New Haven diesels had Hancock Air Whistles, the single note "duck" horn was the norm until McGinnis showed up.
Yes, true. All I'm saying is that when I saw a CR SW-1200 with an air whistle, I knew without a doubt it was exNH.

by emd_SD_60

SRS125 wrote:Ann Arbor Railroads GP35's rideing on ALCO Blomburg Trucks.
Also Southern GP35's on Alco trucks, and same for GM&O's GP30's and GP35's and finally the last orders of Missouri Pacific's GP18's.

And I also cannot forget SOO Line's GP30's also.

by NHRDC121

thebigc,

I should have thought of these earlier myself, but....anyway, how would you identify an ex New Haven C-425 or U25-B? Assuming they HAD been repainted and renumber was unknown.

by SRS125

BC Rails 5 chime Air horns on the RDC's

by thebigc

NHRDC121 wrote:thebigc,

I should have thought of these earlier myself, but....anyway, how would you identify an ex New Haven C-425 or U25-B? Assuming they HAD been repainted and renumber was unknown.
Well, the C-425's had the smaller, flat-sided fuel tanks so they were easy but the U-boats looked like the rest of the PC units of the same phase so I'd have to see the number.

by Aji-tater

SRS wrote "Ann Arbor Railroads GP35's rideing on ALCO Blomburg Trucks."

There is no such thing as an ALCO Blomberg truck.

by SRS125

I'm just stateing that the Bloomburg trucks came off retired ALCO Locomotives. I'm sure that everyone knows that the trucks were commonley used by ALCO and GE over the years. No need to get all tied up into a heavy Detail nit picking knot over it.

by Joe

AHEM! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ALCO BLOMBERG. Alcos didn't ride on Blombergs. They rode on ALCO trucks.