• railroad stop sign

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

by binns37388

Someone told me recently that there was a railroad stop sign near Coalmont, Tn. Supposedly located on a curve, every train had to stop at this railroad crossing. Does anyone know if this is true?

by route_rock

Dont know about that one but we have a stop sign for trains in Galesburg.Crossing Henderson street by the Butler plant we have to stop until the gates are down.

by binns37388

Thx for the reply. This friend of mine is going to check with a history teacher in Grundy Co, Tn about the validity of this railroad stop sign near Coalmont, Tn. He said its been gone for over 20 years, but was there at one time. It's probably back in the days of the Tennesse Coal and Railroad Co. I think it was on a feeder line from the coal mines to the main track. He says he thought it was the first one and I'm sure there were a few others, like the one you mentioned. By the way, where is Galesburg?

by route_rock

Galesburg is in Illinois and is the BEST Hub of the BNSF on the Chicago Div!! (well maybe not the best how about the least dysfunctional) I know some railroads used a stop sign on their gates that protected a railroad crossing at grade but for just stop and go I am not sure.