• Railroad on NH/VT Border

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Luther Brefo

As I was looking at Google Maps earlier today, I noticed some tracks along the New Hampshire-Vermont Border.

The tracks seems to parallel I-91 until about the Canadian-US border.

What railroad is this?

My searches are turning up empty.

by SLR 393

what towns?

by bwparker1

Luther:

That is Ex Boston & Maine track that today is operated by various carriers.

It was in the possession of Guilford until the State of Vermont stripped it of ownership.
Currently, NECR and Guilford run trains on there from White River Junction south, and the VRS System operates northern portions.

http://www.guilfordrail.com/Maps/bm1916map.htm

http://www.guilfordrail.com/Maps/mec1923map.htm

by shadyjay

Some more details on the "Conn River Line".....

From VT/MA border north to Brattleboro:
Was always CV (NECR after Feb 1995) ownership, but was jointly operated with B&M, along with another line which crossed the river right at the border, only to cross again in Brattleboro (that bridge and some track remains, but oos for many years).

From Brattleboro north to White River Jct:
Was B&M until c 1988 when Amtrak "seized" the line and sold it immediately afterwards to the Central Vermont. The details are large but generally, Amtrak accused B&M of not maintaining its track to passenger train speeds. CV took it over, rebuilt it, and ran it until 2/95, when NECR (New England Central) took over. Guilford/B&M/PanAm retains trackage rights. This line has CTC and some signals have been replaced recently. At one time it was double track, but judging by the close clearances on many sections, I find the entire line double-tracked hard to believe.

From White River Jct to Wells River:
Was B&M until around 1999/2000, when finally they got rid of it and sold it to the state of Vermont. It had been out of service for a while. Typical Guilford dragging their feet on service to the point where about 1 customer was left and the line was in bad shape. VT leased it to the Northern Vermont Railroad, then a BAR subsidiary. When they went belly up, litterally, VT Rail System took over and operates it as the Washington County Railroad - Conn River Division. They are building traffic and rebuilding as finances permit.

From Wells River beyond:
New Hampshire lines up to Littleton were abandoned in the 1990s. On the VT side up to St Johnsbury, was CP until the 1990s, then to NVR, then VTRS. Also VT-owned, IIRC. North of St J, same scenario. Traces of ABS system remain, but not "turned on". Same situation up to Newport, where MMA takes over.

-Jay H.

by Luther Brefo

bwparker1 & shadyjay:

Thank you very much for the information.

If I recall correctly, Central of Vermont is an Canadian National company?

by Arborwayfan

Two semi-related bits of information:
The line from Littleton to Wells River is now an unpaved bike, horse, etc., path. Littleton Station is a restaurant. Lisbon Station is a garage for heavy equipment or something like that; I've never looked closely. At the site of the Bath Station, just across the river from the state highway, there are two interesting sights: a small cut-out in the frame of the very old covered bridge, to let the trains go through, and a tell-tale to warn brakemen not to get hit by the bridge.

Robert Frost wrote a poem about sharing a hotel room with a very odd roommate while laying over between trains at Wells River.

Question:
What's the status of the line from Littleton to Whitefield, and the one from St. J's to Whitefield?

by shadyjay

Arborwayfan wrote: Question:
What's the status of the line from Littleton to Whitefield, and the one from St. J's to Whitefield?
From Littleton to Whitefield, it is operated as needed by the New Hampshire Central, although god only knows when the last wheel turned south of Whitefield, let alone at Whitefield itself. Probably a CWSR interchange move, that's about it.

From St J to Whitefield, its still the "Twin State Railroad" but again hasn't been operated in a long time, with grade crossings paved over, IIRC. I have heard ramblings of VT AOT purchasing the line, similar to what they did to the "CONN RIVER" line, and having VT Rail System operate it. If anyone could make anything happen on this line, VTRS and VAOT can. Let's see what happens.

-Jay

by shadyjay

lutherkb wrote:bwparker1 & shadyjay:

Thank you very much for the information.

If I recall correctly, Central of Vermont is an Canadian National company?

There's no "OF" in Central Vermont. But yes, it is/was a Canadian National company. Although the operating railroad no longer exists, I have seen freshly painted boxcars in recent years sporting the "CV" noodle. Just another way I guess to paint boxcars, a la Guilford/Pan Am.

-Jay

by NRGeep

Shady Jay: Great information indeed but Guilford is Guilford is Guilford. While GRS does use the word "B&M" for corporate reasons it is not and has never been the real Boston & Maine Railroad.

by shadyjay

NRGeep wrote:Shady Jay: Great information indeed but Guilford is Guilford is Guilford. While GRS does use the word "B&M" for corporate reasons it is not and has never been the real Boston & Maine Railroad.
I fully understand that. :-D
I was just trying to compare the fact that CN is using a "paper" railroad/logo on its cars, similar to Guilford/Pan Am using a "paper" railroad on its locomotives - as the engines on GRS right now are still sublettered for B&M. Yes, unfortunetly, the old B&M no longer exists. Whether it stopped existing when Guilford took over, or when McGinnis took over back in the 50s is up to interpretation.

-Jay

by NRGeep

Understood. Thanks.