• Railriding on Abandoned Rails in and Around New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:
NHN1757 wrote:What about lines that allow trail use after a certain date, when rail service is done for the year? I thought there was at least one line like that in NH.
There is one other line that supposedly closes as well which is the Hillsborough Branch; I don't know much about it but I do know when the WSRR was in business they closed down for the winter months as well.

I don't think the Hillsborough closes down for the winter months Brian. The Milford-Bennington Railroad and Pan Am Railways Local NA-1/NA-2 does down that way alot, even in the winter im sure

by Noel Weaver

You poeple are still talking an illegal activity. Even though a line is in fact
abandoned, it is still privately owned and you do not have an open right to
trespass upon or use the abandoned trackage.
Your best bet for any trips is to join one of the organized groups mentioned on here or elsewhere.
Noel Weaver

by GP40MC 1116

Noel Weaver wrote:You poeple are still talking an illegal activity. Even though a line is in fact
Your best bet for any trips is to join one of the organized groups mentioned on here or elsewhere.
Noel Weaver
"You People"..... although we are conversing about it, none of us are actually saying "ohh boy lets go for it" I for one would never get on anything and drive it down railroad tracks unless they were on a static display in a field. For 99.9 percent of new england rail's are either owned by railroads such as CSX, Amtrak, the MBTA or Pan AM. Then you've got your countless shortlines and firther withon that, especially in NH, the State DOT owns lines themselves. So no matter which way you look someone owns something, and once you set a car onto that rail= trespassing

Don't get me wrong Neal, I can understand the people's views here, but we ALL have common sense not to do something that stupid! :-D

And for our deardevels within the group here, if you such want to acftually ride the rails in a gas powered "trackcar" here is a link to such a group that does it leagaily, with respect, and great friendships with a local NH shortline. They have have their own stetch of ex Wolfeboro Railroad trackage that they run on with permission from the State of NH. Check them out here

http://www.cottonvalley.org/

Respectfully thats my $ .02 I think everyone's just eager to ride the rails it seems! :-D

by BayColony1706

This is slightly OT, but I was wondering what potential these unique machines would have as an inspection vehicle. For instance, a finantially-savvy shortline could pick up several railriders for the cost of 1 new Hirail pick-up. I think that they could be useful for this purpose among others, but thats just my 2 cents. what do you all think?

by GP40MC 1116

BayColony1706 wrote:This is slightly OT, but I was wondering what potential these unique machines would have as an inspection vehicle. For instance, a finantially-savvy shortline could pick up several railriders for the cost of 1 new Hirail pick-up. I think that they could be useful for this purpose among others, but thats just my 2 cents. what do you all think?
If it saves more $$ why not. You figure a Hirail pick up is usually a heavy duty 4x4 pickup truck. And im sure gas for those isn't cheap. So whatever $$ you save, the better

by b&m 1566

Noel Weaver wrote:You poeple are still talking an illegal activity. Even though a line is in fact
Noel Weaver
Noel I don't know if this was directed towards my comment or not (about the lines closing for the winter). People seeking to use the tracks for ATV's and or Snowmobiles is (in NH anyways) legal. The state has reserved the lines for such usage. In Conway, NH in the middle of the rail yard there is a sign placed between the tracks (backed by the NHDOT) stating that the railroad tracks are active however ATV's and such are allowed between January 1st and March 31st. I have seen for myself in the middle of the winter Fabians Station rail yard (what’s left of it) look like a parking lot filled with snowmobiles coming and going.

by Aji-tater

I doubt they would have much value as an inspection vehicle. Yes they would give a great view of the track but you have to pedal the damn things! Do you really think just because somebody works for a shortline they would put up with that? And while they may be cheaper than a hirail they are nowhere as useful. With a hirail you drive the return trip on the highway - with these things you have to pedal back. A hirail can carry track tools, spikes, bolts, and a set of acetylene torches - where would you put one on the pedal-powered thing? They're an oversized toy. And in the hands of the wrong people, a dangerous one at that.

by BayColony1706

I actually do work for a shortline, and I do know the pro's and cons of hirails, this was merely a hypothetical idea. A hirail is tried and true. dont get me wrong they are the best thing for the job that they do. I was thinking along the lines of a small scenic line that may or may not have the need for a fully-loaded vehicle. for instance in India, they have a track inspection method that requires a track inspector to ride in an UNPOWERED (no pedals or motor) track car pushed by 4 human helpers. In this situation, i think that it would be a good idea. It would cut costs and free up manpower. again, strictly a hypothetical situation.
on a side note, in the wrong hands, anything could be dangerous. It just boils down to the common sense factor. If you dont outright own the tracks you need to get permission to use them. 'nuff said. :wink:

by GP40MC 1116

BayColony1706 wrote: If you dont outright own the tracks you need to get permission to use them. 'nuff said. :wink:
See! Thats right from a railroaders mouth, now lets quit saying on here about illegal things that we all know shouldn't be done. Like I said before, common sense goes a long way here, I sure wouldn't do that to risk being smoohsed by a GP-40 as it comes barling arround a "blind" corner. :-D

by b&m 1566

Yeah enough said about what is illegal; I think if people read the thread they'll have a clear understanding of it now, if they didn't before.
Moving On:
Does anyone have any stories of riding railriders and/or speeders? I sure would like to here some because it’s something I have never done but am interested in doing. Do most speeder clubs require a membership to be able to ride with them?

by eriemike

I recall seeing a company (or was it an individual) on a TV show that made a railriding car that had a sail on it instead of pedal power. As I recall they ran it out west where the problem of brush and foliage was not an issue. Have any of you seen such a thing?
Last edited by eriemike on Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Aji-tater

LOL- an inspection car pushed by 4 human helpers. Can you imagine putting the pusher job up for bid? I suppose if the inspector is too nasty, when they get to a downgrade the pushers could all "stumble" at the same time and send the boss on his way!

Let's see, the guys can all be assigned to heavier work, we'll get 4 young women for the pushers, we'll leave the description of their atire to the imagination. That would be something right of an old Roman movie.

One thing more about using those things for inspection on an actual railroad as opposed to a museum, the FRA has regs for on track equipment. I'd have to get out the rules to see if they specify "motorized" or not but they might have rules requiring strobe lights, operators manual, and other safety related items. If the rules include those pedalpushers it would apply to shortlines and big lines as well.

by wog820

I have a speeder I built from some axles off a lurry car, A 10hp Briggs & Stratton powers the 4 speed lawnmower transmission , then chain driven to the rear axle.This year it had lots of work done to it including lights (brake & head , tail)and roll cage so I can put a top on it now :-D Anyway I register for the Hobo meet in June :P You don't have to belong to a club to do this meet, it is open to anyone with a trackcar, the only thing is that you have to pass their Tech Inspection, Brakes in good working order, Lights ,safety vest & flags all the important stuff like that :wink: This is a long trip so I don't see anyone pedaling 80 miles on a railrider :( Don't know who is going with me next year but I got room for 4 people. :-) there is a picture of it on the flicker link :wink: