• RailFone

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by mannynews

Hey Guys,

I know this may sound like an Elementary Railfan question...but I've always wondered

How does Railfone work? Is is purely a Cellular Operation, or does it pass signals via the overhead rail wire?

BTW...I used railfone for an emergency call the other day...i was charged about $12.00 for a 3 minute call between NY and Philly
  by Gilbert B Norman

As far as I know, Railfone is simply a cellular phone, albeit with considerably more power than the 1/2 watt that thing in your pocket puts out.

I believe the only market railfone has is that small market that does not have a cellular phone; to the extent Amtrak has an "obligation" to do anything, in a way there is sort of one to make communications available to those passengers who opt not have one (author has one; used 13 minutes during the past billing cycle).

As for the $12.00 noted by Mr. Mannynews, for a short call to Phila, there are "0 minute subscription plans" with cellular carriers that will "run" each month, including ad-ons, roundly that sum. The alternative would be simply not have any subscription whatever; any working cellphone can reach 9-1-1. Such an unsubscribed phone can also reach a service that will enable you to make calls at a rate of some $2.00/min and a $2.00 connect fee.

In short, I do not think it is unreasonable for Railfone rates to be as noted. Further, Amtrak has wisely chosen not to prohibit private cell phone use, in the same manner as have the airlines. "We" found out on 9/11 cellphones work perfectly well from an aircraft in-flight; reportedly, the airline's contention that prvate cellphones affect NAVAIDS is at best "weak".
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by bratkinson

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Railphone was being phased out of the NEC account low usage.

These days, it's hard to find ANYBODY that doesn't have a cell phone. I finally broke down and got one myself about 2 years ago.

As for $12 for 3 minutes, try using the phone on the back of an airplane seat! I did that about 3 years ago and I think the 3 minute call was in the $15-20 range on my credit card! It's the cost of not having an alternative.

by AmtrakFan

They have them in the Pacific Parlor Car on the Starlight and when I used it didn't cost us anything.

AmtrakFan

by CComMack

Briefly digressing: the FAA would be fine with allowing cell phones during flights. Banning in-flight use of cell phones is an FCC measure. During flight, a cell phone has direct line-of-sight to many, many cellular towers. Thanks to the way cell calls are handled, a cell phone uses all of the connections available to it. A single plane full of people yakking on their cell phones could suck up all of the cellular bandwidth in a medium-sized metropolitan area. This would be very bad. Solutions to this problem are not coming swiftly.

On topic, though, I'm a little surprised that the rates mentioned here are revenue-maximizing for Amtrak, but I'll accept that. Has Amtrak looked into offering WiFi internet service via similar means (obviously at lower prices)? It would seem like an obvious draw for business travelers on the corridor routes.

by RMadisonWI

I thought I heard something about WiFi on a train, but I don't remember when/who that was about.

A few years ago, Amtrak had a deal with Compaq/Yahoo to offer free service to passengers using Ipaq handhelds and satellite internet access (or something to that effect). Several cars were wrapped in a Yahoo ad to advertise the service.

One Metroliner had it, a Hiawatha trainset had it, and I think one California train had it, not sure which corridor.

I rode the Yahoo car on the Hiawatha once, but the guy that worked for the company running the promotion apparently called in sick that day, and they weren't able to offer the internet service.

by jfrey40535

WiFi on a train would be awesome! But I don't know if it is something that could work....
  by NellieBly

Railphones were actually a feature on the original Metroliners of 1968...until the Nixon White House took the frequencies for itself. That was the era when wireless phones were limited by technology. The car assigned to the president of the AAR had one; so did about 900 other cars in the Washington DC area. I got to use the AAR phone once...pretty cool.

As for cell phone use on planes, I'm told that they work, but not well, due to the problem with multiple possible paths. And anyway, would you REALLY want to be trapped on a plane where 80% of the passengers were shouting into their cell phones for the entire flight? My plane trips are an opportunity for peace and quiet (I always take a book to read, and never watch the movie).

Finally, I understand Wi-Fi is provided on some Amtrak California trains. Now that's a neat idea!
  by meh

wifi on trains
I do not know the current status of the pilot project, but VIA announced about a year ago that they would do a trial of wireless internet access on corridor trains. A brief Google search yields several articles, including this Bell Canada press release. At the time I remember reading computer configuration information on the VIA web site, but I cannot find any similar information in a quick search of the site now.

GTE Railfone
As a cell-phone-free person, I have used a Railfone a couple times when I needed to change plans at my destination due to a significantly delayed train. The rate is clearly disclosed on the phone as $3 to establish the connection and talk for the first minute and $2 for each additional minute (plus taxes). The charges were billed by GTE in suburban Chicago from both a Northeast Corridor and a Chicago Hub train. They appeared on my credit card statement (for one- and two-minute calls, respectively) as:

GTE RF 1 M [number called] OAK BROOK IL $3.29 27 MAR 2004
GTE RF 2 M [number called] OAK BROOK IL $5.48 16 JUL 2003

I consider those $9 a worthwhile alternative to paying monthly charges for a cell phone I would not likely use otherwise. As far as I know, however, Superliner trains are not equipped with Railfones.

by Mr. Toy

AmtrakFan wrote:They have them in the Pacific Parlor Car on the Starlight and when I used it didn't cost us anything.

AmtrakFan
Last I checked you still had to swipe a credit card. I've used the Starlight's phones a couple of times, and it cost a bundle.

I believe the Surfliners also have railfones.

by george matthews

I thought I heard something about WiFi on a train, but I don't remember when/who that was about.
Some British trains have it. I think GNER.

by Gilbert B Norman

by AmtrakFan

Mr. Toy wrote:
AmtrakFan wrote:They have them in the Pacific Parlor Car on the Starlight and when I used it didn't cost us anything.

AmtrakFan
Last I checked you still had to swipe a credit card. I've used the Starlight's phones a couple of times, and it cost a bundle.

I believe the Surfliners also have railfones.
Well when I used it we weren't charged. But someone told me on the Airphone it cost them $12.00 for a 90 Second Phone call.

AmtrakFan