• Rail Cars in the abandoned Auburn Stone Quarry

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SRS125

I was out and about this after noon for a while I had seen what looked to be the out line of hoppers in the old Auburn Stone Quarry for a few months. I never gave it any thought thinging no the Switch and rails were removd by Conrail in the 80's. This quarry was ordered closed in the early 90's when Hanson could no longer get mineing permits for the oil rich slate which was used for makeing assfult befor operations moved to Skaneatlas on Rt 321. There has not been a rail car back there in well over 37 years! Today I saw the samething 2 faded yellow things in the distance on the outher side of the quarry. I turned the car around and drove around to the back of the quarry and saw 2 Open 4 Bay hoppers siting at the end of the stub sideing I did not stay long but I did make note that the rail was still in place and what looks to be a New Switch stand were installed to reconnect the mine to the FGLK Main Line. This is intresting becuse no note as to any switches or sideings is indicated on any of the Finger Lakes Railway or 1980's Conrail Coustomer ZTS Maps both current or past.

by SRS125

I went back and chek out the marks on the 2 cars siting in the quarry and they are AEIX cars there were no numbers as of yet. One possablity that was brought up to me was that the NYS&W could interchange Car loads of stone with the FGLK to an unloading pit there. Which could only mean that the assfult plant could reopen bringing in Stone and tank cars full of tar oil.
I could only think that this would bring jobs to the Auburn area again and save on drive times for the local towns and Countys from haveing to drive to Skaneatlas for Assfult.