Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by F40

This may have been discussed before, but why are R142's not able to run on the Flushing line? This is not to say it is impossible, as I believe long ago a set or so made it to Corona Yard?

Thanks for your help.

by burkeman

My only guess because of the lenght of the train line. We know that the R142 comes in a 5 car set and on the 7 line youre going to need one extra car. I dont know if the MTA is will to add a car from another set then that causes problems. I dont know thats only my guess.
  by DCmetrogreen

On the R-142 page on nycsubway.org, it says that they are in 5 car semi-permanent sets but can also be coupled into 4, 6, 9, or 11 car sets.

by Robert Paniagua

So that means they should be able to run on Line 7, and also the R142s should be running tandem with those R62As on the #1 Line thru 168St, 145St, 125th/Broadway and so on. The #1 line shouldn't have to deal with those 20+ yr old R62As, they need R142s!

by Mr. Harlem Line

The reason why the 7 hasn't received R142s yet is because the third rail needed to be upgraded so it could handle the new cars, but this problem has already been fixed.

Another reason is that the Corona maintenance facility needed to be rebuilt so it can be able to service the R142s rooftop A/C units. However, the shop's overhaul is finished, or is close to being finished.

MTA is planning to buy 47 "B"cars to make 6 car sets for the 7 line, meaning that R142 cars will be taken from either the 2, 4, 5, or 6 lines, though it is most likely they'll be taken from the 4 and 6 line since they have R142As. The contract for these 47 cars has not been awarded yet.

by F40

Thanks for the responses. So do the current R142/A's have strip maps for the 7 line and automated announcements for it?

by Mr. Harlem Line

No strip maps are made yet for the 7 line.

However, there are automated announcements for the 7 line.

yo

by 4 express train

yo f*** the 7 train they should jus keep the R62 trains till its time to retire them. the only cars they are taking from the other lines is the set of R142S trains and that only runs on the #4 train. the 4 train will receive more R142 trains from bombardier at the end of 2008. the 7 trains complete order is to be complete by the end of 2008 when new R142A trains arrive for the 7.