• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by CPF363

How is the track work from Waterville to Northern Maine Jct. coming along? Will welded rail be coming this year and where is it going to be installed?
  by BostonUrbEx

There's about 3 miles now up to timetable (25 mph) speed.

From what I hear, Readville to Waterville and Danville to Rigby is also in really good shape -- mostly/all up to timetable. And those sections weren't paid for by the state.
  by KSmitty

BostonUrbEx wrote:There's about 3 miles now up to timetable (25 mph) speed.

From what I hear, Readville to Waterville and Danville to Rigby is also in really good shape -- mostly/all up to timetable. And those sections weren't paid for by the state.
Readfield?
  by BostonUrbEx

KSmitty wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:There's about 3 miles now up to timetable (25 mph) speed.

Readfield?
Whoops, yes. It'd be interesting if PAR was upgrading trackage all the way to Readville. New CSX interchange? :P
  by 690

BostonUrbEx wrote:From what I hear, Readville to Waterville
Unless this happened within the last couple of days, it's still mostly 10. 120-127 is 25 and the rest is (was?) 10.
  by BM6569

Danville east through downtown Auburn appears to be 10
  by BostonUrbEx

690 wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:From what I hear, Readville to Waterville
Unless this happened within the last couple of days, it's still mostly 10. 120-127 is 25 and the rest is (was?) 10.
I'll see if I can get specifics but 114-ish to 127 might be 25 now?
  by hh660

9.4.15, 2:00 pm, west bound freight on track 2 past Mountain Junction led by: 615, 8955, 601, 313, 3005, 316
Not particularly long, lot of surries.
S
  by doublestack

PORU heading east with a majority of empty paper cars. With the closing of Maine pulp & paper mills, is it possible there headed to "The Cloud", yard "17"? Any thoughts?

Thanks to Robert Selberg for the clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PQ9zxeQ6n4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by roberttosh

Is the Woodland mill loading any boxcars these days or is everything going export through Eastport? Thanks.
  by BostonUrbEx

roberttosh wrote:Is the Woodland mill loading any boxcars these days or is everything going export through Eastport? Thanks.
They still get cars in Woodland. Don't know how much, though.
  by roberttosh

Yeah' they've pretty much been getting inbound materials by rail from the get go, more interested in outbound boxcar shipments. Thanks!
  by KSmitty

380 is the Old Town Mill switcher. Was at NMJ a couple hours ago, shut down, no crew and not likely to get one soon.

Friday saw 2 WANM's a 38 car train that went up during daylight, and a second ~60 car train with 3 units, 321, 510 and another.
NMWA left with the 321, 510, UNK trio Saturday, leaving 380, 519, and 512 north. There are a ton of 'Keag cars, at Northern Maine, and with the locomotive situation up there currently it looks primed for a run up Mon/Tues/Weds this week.

There were ties laid out on both sides of Palmer Rd (just west of CPF80), track machines tied down at East Newport.

Majority of equipment, including trucks and on rail equipment is at NMJ. CM&Q has finished their work at the Junction and is waiting on Pan Am to cut in a few switches and repair a couple shaky yard tracks to streamline the interchange.

All quiet from Northern Maine Junction back to the deep south at Leeds today. No trains heard or otherwise observed on the 2 hour trip back. Unless we count idled 330 and 72 on the back alley at Waterville. Thus concluding this weekends Northward Gawking trip.
  by 690

This morning WAPO and POWA met at Leeds around 8 or so, each got their paper to continue on right away, POWA got recrewed by Winthrop. Yesterday RUPO came down the branch with 30 or so cars, PORU went up with about 60, they met in Leeds also. Regarding the ties, they've got them laid out beyond MP 79, where the old Stetson siding was. Looked like some ballast had been dropped around Carmel.
  by KSmitty

512, 381 & 349 with 41 went to Keag today, after dropping 7 at Old Town.