• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Backshophoss

PAR is in the process of "right sizing" the boxcars used in paper service,getting rid of older,battle weary cars,
There's been a lot of paper/pulp plants shut down,some have been stripped of equipment. :(
  by MEC407

MAWA had a pair of six-axle locos a few days ago. Video by MaineRailFanner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZEukqQ_fs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone know if these locos actually operated east of NMJ or if four-axles were used for the NM-MA/MA-NM stretch?
  by KSmitty

They power swapped at NMJ, 614-3401 didnt see Bangor city limits.

ST 77 is currently middle unit of 3 @ Keag, next westbound. Edit: Nevermind that, I'm a day behind, made Waterville this afternoon.
  by MEC407

Photo by Dan Comick:

http://photos.nerail.org/photos-origina ... 816808.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by A215

I saw a black passenger coach parked on the rear of what I would guess is a POWA at CPF198. You can see it from the highway clearly. I believe it's marks were NS 35, but I could have seen them wrong, I went by pretty quick. Looked like a car with a deck on the rear. Anyone know anything about it?
  by KSmitty

Ex DLW 99, "the Belford." Carried a couple US presidents back in the day. Burned a while back, been stored at Derby on the BAR/MMA/CMQ.

It was for sale, with a whole bunch of prerequisites for the cars long term restoration/preservation.

Reportedly NS purchased it only because they want the 3 axle trucks and running gear for a geometry car.
  by Mikejf

Are you sure it was a POWA and not a WAPO? Unless the car was going back to Derby.
  by hh660

At about 11:00am, this morning, Pan Am switcher heading west to Rigby, pulled 12 or 13 propane tanks off the Mountain Branch. It also had 3 slurry tanks.
Dead River (?), in Westbrook, was the origin of the cars. Is this the new location for the now vacated Commercial Street propane distribution facility?
S
Last edited by hh660 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by gokeefe

That would have to be one of the biggest trains coming off the Mountain Branch in quite some time ...
  by MEC407

Video by drc930:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6_8r_kcp9Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by fromway

Press release on Port of Saint John web site talking about the new agreement with DP World for the harbor expansion. In the release it states that there will be a Intermodal Yard 12,000 ft long to handle whole trains. It also talks about access to CN and CP, but also totes access to PANAM to connect to Class 1 railroads in the US.
  by KSmitty

Pan Am has withdrawn from the Maine Regional Railways Tiger Grant award. Not wanting to put up 4M to be matched by the 6M in federal grant money. No new rail on the WTVL-NMJ section and likely no speed increases in 2017. Hell of a way to court intermodal business...
  by MEC407

Classic "step over a dollar to save a dime" Guilford. But in a way I'm sort of glad, because I've had concerns as a Maine taxpayer that they'd take the money, the track would be sorta good for a year or two after the rehab, and then it would go back to 5&10 speedos and we'd have nothing to show for the $6 million we gave them. Heck, maybe they know themselves well enough to know that's what would happen and figured "why bother?"