• "Road to the Future" Chevy Hi-Rail

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by eddiebehr

I think it is a 1960 Chevy.
  by PUTNUT

It's definitely a four door, nine passenger, 1960 Chevrolet Kingswood Stationwagon.
'Ride the Put'
  by Sisko24

Thanks for sharing those photos. I picked myself up from the floor after seeing the Checker wagon/hi-rail. So now what I'd like to know is if anyone has a photo of a Corvair Hi-Rail? Or better yet, a Corvette Hi-Rail?
  by Sisko24

jrs363 wrote:maybe Scott L will photshopone for you :-)
Thanks for the heads-up. If I saw a photo of one here, someone would be phoning 911 for me (or a good heart surgeon). :wink:
  by lbagg91833

That CHEVY HI-RAIL station wagon sure brings back some memories. Back in the days of "ROAD TO THE FUTURE" the GEN MGR HQ at CLEVELAND was making an inspection trip WEST on the KKK line and quite a warm day, so the back deck was lowered to get air thru the psgr area, when negotiating a curve 'at excessive' speed the front guide wheel on the FAIRMONT GEAR failed, sending the vehicle over the bank & into a ditch, seriously injuring the GM. Upshot was that all HI-RAIL vehicles were taken out of service & ordered to COLLINWOOD to have their gear MAGNAFLUXED to assure they had no defects. HI-RAIL vehicles brought out several incidents involving excessive speed, some with severe consequences. regds LARRY BAGGERLY
  by shlustig

Larry:

Was that the incident in which RDT was driving and Bill Baerthline was riding.

IIRC, both were seriously injured.
  by lbagg91833

Best recollection I have is that HARRY BERKSHIRE was driving, RDT front right, HER and BARTHLEIN on the rear fold-down door with feet dangling off the back. Might have been BEN GORDON vs BERKSHIRE as BEN was DISTRICT ENGINEER around that time period. DICK STRAW was along too. LARRY B
  by lbagg91833

PLUS, this picture on the initial posting was the HI-RAIL vehicle assigned to me at ROCHESTER when I replaced BERT STROHL . Made many miles around the SYRACUSE DIV in this vehicle.......LARRY BAGGERLY [SUPT NYC SYRACUSE DIVISION, 1965-1967.]
  by lbagg91833

HI-RAIL car assigned to SYRACUSE DIV was the CHECKER that replaced the CHEVY models.....1967 I was assigned the first CHECKER built in KALAMAZOO, MI. Picture of that CHEVY was the model that experienced the FAIRMONT gear failure. LAB
  by Dieter

I never saw anything like that, it's in great shape. Real thing or some nice work?

I recall seeing "Road To The Future" on yellow/orange MOW Ford vans from say '63 to the merger.

D/
  by AnderPhoto

Gentlemen;

I just happened across this post as I was searching for any references to a NYC Checker Hi-Rail car. I'm in the process of scanning all of my old photos and slides and found this old shot of what I believe is the Checker mentioned above as the Syracuse Div Checker. I shot this passing through Collinwood back in the late 1960's.

I want to say that it is probably 1966 or 1967. It's not a very good shot, made with an old Brownie box camera when I was about 17, but I thought you would enjoy seeing it. The number on the side looks like 3467.

Here's the link to my photo: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2721640

If anyone can shed more light as to the details or circumstances of this photo, I would certainly appreciate hearing about it. Thanks.

Glenn Anderson
Georgetown, TX
  by shlustig

Looks like it might be taken from the E. 152nd St. Bridge, with the HRC proceeding wesward. Track curving to the top is the west leg of the wye used to turn engines. HRC could have set on at the road crossing just to the east or come through from points farther east.

If date is correct, could be a review trip for the CTC installation Collinwood-QD to BErea. Otherwise, just a periodic inspection by senior staff from the Western Region which was HQ'd in Cleveland.