• "Old" Adirondack Ry coach purchase

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by BR&P

What to do with old paperwork from 35 + years ago? I will post this in its own thread since the other thread is about the new (current) Adirondack incarnation. Just in case anybody cares about the trivia of dates and car numbers, here is the bid from ADIR for their purchase of P70 coaches. This purchase bid was approved by NJDOT on June 12th and confirmed to ADIR in a letter to them dated June 14th.
img447 - Copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by tree68

And a little more than a year later, they were on the market again, I believe...
  by BR&P

tree68 wrote:And a little more than a year later, they were on the market again, I believe...
A bit longer than that. Auction was March 27, 1982. So a bit under 3 years later.
  by Otto Vondrak

$37,000 for 16 coaches? That's a steal. Adjusted for inflation, that would be around $125,000 today. Of course, I wonder what the transportation charges were, and if they were delivered in a single movement?

-otto-
  by BR&P

Otto, I don't have definitive answers to either question but the letter of acceptance does state "....f.o.b. Conrail shops Elizabethport, Bay Head, and Hoboken New Jersey and Sunnyside New York." So I'm going to guess they moved in small groups rather than one large train.

I can easily scan and post that acceptance letter if anyone would like but it really pretty much echoes what's on the first sheet.