• "Lurker" Thread-New Members or Those w.0 Posts Post Here

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

by Jeff Smith

jedwards wrote:lurker for years, please don't delete me for a 3rd time.
My apologies that some innocent registrations are getting caught up in the spam registration sweeps. This happens once or twice a week; I'll get an email to [email protected]. The best way I've determined to keep off the spam registrations is to require a single post. Of course, you're free to lurk without signing in as well, but we definitely appreciate our users registering. I am working on some refinements to give genuine users a heads up and eliminate the collateral damage; the issue with that is, it also gives the spammers a heads up. Hopefully, a real user will find this thread at the top of the forum pages.

Just as background, over the last few weeks, I've determined that the average number of daily spam registrations is about 100, give or take a few. I have no real way of separating the genuine vs. the spam unless I go through every single registration on a daily basis. Even then, at great expense of time, I'd only get most of them, the ones that are obvious. There would still be some who slip through on first pass, and then come back and add spam after that first pass.

Again, apologies for the inconvenience, and I appreciate the patience.
  by Pontiadict

Just Registered,but have been "lurking" for a while.Grew up in East Rockaway right next to the Long Beach branch.Played down by the tracks as a kid all the time.Thank goodness my mom never knew!