• "Get Me to the Church on Time"

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

This lyric from a highly successful 50's era Broadway musical, "My Fair Lady", was quite appropriate.

No not I; my niece.

The journey to Stamford, CT started with a METRA ride from 18.34 to CUS; my half hour station time was used mainly to have a needed exchange of my ticked processed, but no rush as #30 (21), Capitol Limited, departed 25 min late account a late #6(19).

My car was #32032, which is reported to have been involved in a Sep 01 incident at Wendover and returned to service during Feb 03. Its rebuilding included removal of any "so seventies decor" including the pea green washroom motiff - good riddance to all of it.

The Royal Blue fabrics used for cushions and draperies appear to be holding well; the simulated procelain wash basins are a plus over the former stainless, and the potties appear to have been refitted with ones similar to those in Viewliners. The neutral Gray paneling of the walls certainly beats the "mousey brown" carpeting of old.

The most constructive complaint I can make regards the shower room. While some may think that a shower door installed in place of the curtain represents an improvement, I'm not sure. The shower door has already caused a "nick" in the entrance door's paneling; however, what concerns me most is that a passenger could get a cut on a foot from this door. When wiping the shower room down for the next guy, I noted this. I hope that in future rebuilds, Amtrak will return to the curtains. True, they will have to be replaced likely every time the car sees BG for an inspection, but the cost of a curtain is much less than a passenger injury that will be witnessed by no one.

I cannot get too excited over the new menu item, Lamb Shank; just a thought.

Other than go to Dinner, I did not venture from the car and it was "lights out" for me by Elkhart.

Breakfast OK, chatter in the Lounge with other folks while ascending Sand Patch, and when all was done, an arrival at Wash 80 min down or 150PM.

Consist was 2 P42, Bagg, 2 Sleepers, Diner, Lounge 2 Coach, 1 Express Reefer.

Time enough to drop the bags in Club Acela, obtain my Daily reads (Times and Journal), check on this site's outage status, review my e-mail, and be ready to board Regional 148 (305P) to Phila.

Business is most definitely "up" on the Corridor, which is of course is heartening. However, with loading lines for #2170 (3PM Acela) and #148 (305P Regional) "snaking' together at Union Station made for inevitable confusion, a paying passenger should not have to inquire of another "which train are you in line for?". But I did, however I am unaware of any reasonable means to avoid such as there is no room there for airport style boarding lounges at each gate. Adding to the "fun' was that 148, for inexplicable reasons other than it was the only track available, was boarded on a lower level track AND, if that was not enough, the Business Class car is now placed on the "head" necssitating those paying the, abeit modest, premium, to make a nine car "hoof" as well as ascend an Amfleet trap.

As for cars assigned to Business Class they are simply A-I Coaches that went through the W Gang's "Capstone" project. The one on #148 had a Railfone, but who uses those nowadays? (someone who forgot to charge their cell, I guess). There is no Attendant, and for your "comp" non-alcoholic beverages you sashay back to the Cafe and "stand in line with the herd" (your seat check is your voucher).

I sincerely believe the Corridor is improved over, say, the seventies. The level of service is "adequately satisfactory" which means it will get you there "more or less" on time, but not without any memorable on board service (except for Acela First, which was exemplary, circa May 03). But even Regionals move at 100mph+, and the A-I's are mighty sturdy railcars (they were designed and built by Budd and not by an Amtrak committee). Those that made it through the Capstone actually have attractive interiors. The "lava lamp" exterior paint scheme is thankfully gone. Next up (hopefully) are the Acelas.

With a more or less on time arrival at 30th St, I rendezvoused with another Member for dinner at Zocalo Restaurant located in the UPenn/Drexel area. Even though I have never been a Mexican cuisine devotee, I thought both food and service were quite good, and I had to keep an "eye on the clock". Also an aside for trolley buffs; this is 'dining with a view".

I was comfortably back at 30th St for Regional 136 702PM departure; Business Class again located on the head. This car was simply a "Capstone" coach that did not even have it's own Railfone.

An unfortunate incident occurred when while in visiting the "throne room" after leaving 30th, some fellow carrying simply too much stuff decides to set up shop in my seat that was identified with a hatcheck. I believe I "kept my cool" explaining the asile seat could be his if he wished. No he needed the window so he could plug in his array of electronic gear. But wthout any further discussion he suddently packs up and moves on. The next I hear is a commotion up ahead "I paid a premium price just to walk the train....". Unfortunately, the guy he 'got into it with" wasn't about to back down as I would have. Words were exchanged and fortunately a Conductor, who I don't think would be available for service on "any given Sunday" lest he be suited up to "go at it" at the Meadowlands. This Conductor didn't have to say anything; but needless to say the incident was over.

I don't think the guy was drunk; he was just "stressed out" by contemporary life. Too bad it had to happen.

Nevertheless arrival at Penn was the usual "more or less OT" and with 35 min station time, departure was OT as was arrival in Stamford. The taxicabs are not more than 20 paces away, and I was at the hotel 10 minutes later.

Before retiring, I noticed a copy of Westchester Magazine on the desk; I looked inside and there was Otto's name "on the masthead".

I guess at this time I should interject my thoughts regarding Corridor Business Class, as this was the first occasion I had to sample such. Save the somewhat less crowded "cabin" and the "comp' non-alcoholic beverages, it is simply Corrdor Coach and further you are compelled to hike to or from the head of the train (railfans WANT an excuse to do that, but, as often noted around here in the past, railfans do not make Amtrak). I would think Business Class would show its worth only during the peak Corridor travel periods, and any experienced user knows when those occur. But to upgrade to Business with expectation of receiving a superior on-board service product, "notta gonna happen".

Other than a Saturday Old Greenwich-Stmfd MNR ride to pick up a rented car (thanks Mr. Jaap for the freebie) and I guess a "wish my niece well' , the next 60 hours were beyond the scope of Forum discussion.

Monday Oct 25 saw me wheeling the Taurus into Hertz's Stamford facility that is located by my measurement 50 PACES away from the station (i.e. X Railroad Ave). The auto was dropped 12 Paces away from the check in location - beat THAT for convenience, Junior Birdmen!!!

If Avis happens to be your "auto rental of choice", they too are located adjacent to Hertz. Budget is half a mile away at the Stamford Marriott (a plus to stay there is the possibility of a "room with a view").

Regional 93(25) was "adequately filled' and the only train I rode that was "right smack" on time, both at Stamford and Penn. After parking bags in club Acela, had a good lunch with a Member at a restaurant SE corner 7th Ave & 33rd St.

From what little I saw of Penn, the place, quite simply, reminded me of a military base conducting an 'alert exercise", where civilian workers came and went, but the MP's did without white service caps and were sporting "camys" and M-16's. But then a "few things' have changed since we all lost our innocence somewhat more than three years ago.

Now it is time for the final leg of the journey "end to end" on the Lake Shore #49(25). Boarding with about 5 minutes to spare (hey, for experienced commuters such as the Member I was with, that's an eternity), I only went directly to my car, Viewliner Sleeper "Prarie View". Of course, it was a disappointment to be assigned a Roomette (#3) on the Engineer's side, as there was new mileage for me on this trip, namely Penn to DV. Nevertheless, the rather officious Attendant, did not care when I "set up shop" in #6, on the 'correct' side for River and railviewing. The room, he so advised me, would not be occupied until Albany.

I must admit Penn to DV is a scenic 'bust", although there were enough views to note that "George" is at the paint shop for a makeover and that the red lighthouse that once was under George is gone. I even remember a kiddy book (I was one once, hard to believe) entitled "The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Big Bridge". However, I did note the attractive State Park built atop the water filtration plant at about 140th St. When, on other trips, driving along Henry's parkway, there is of course no time to safely note any of the above.

All told, the ride up the Hudson is likely the top Amtrak scenic draw in the Northeast (close seconds: New River Gorge on the Cardinal and the CT Shoreline between Madison and Stonington) . Always a pleasure to ride.

First a nice word on Prairie View, while this car had not been totally redone (remains in Phase 4.0) there was no need whatever for a roll of duct tape. Also a big ++++; there are again "night" window shades installed over the hallway windows. The fabrics in the car appeared recently replaced. Everything worked, TV screens still in place. Even if I largely chose not to partake, the "soft rock" audio selected was hardly. objectionable.

Now to the perpetual gripe regarding the Lake Shore; it's on-board service, best known as the lack of it, by crews that are quite simply "law unto themselves". The Sleeper Attendant (whose name I'm intentionally withholding) was 'out of uniform' wearing a baseball cap possibly to conceal he was "wired" with his personal cell phone while on duty. There is no lounge or bar service NY-Albany; do you think the Central would have allowed THAT on the Ohio State Limited (3PM dep GCT; through Sleeper to Chi on 209)? However, in the Diner, the Lead Service Attendant, or "Queen Lead" announced to me "provided you have exact change, sir, I will sell you a half bottle of Pinot Grigio; I have no Chardonnay (didn't we just leave the originating terminal?). Love the courtesy and lest we forget, just who was the CUSTOMER! (uh, UNO, that guy, who while not always correct, is always RIGHT!!!).

Next there was the "suggestion' (command??) that NY passengers would eat at 430 so the car (ex NP Budd 1958 vintage) would be available for the Boston passengers. Sorry, but I had had a large breakfast with my sister that AM (hotel buffet; gotta get your $$$$ worth), a late lunch including a super sized fries portion with a Member, and I was not ready to eat at 430PM. Hence, scorn from the Attendants, Lead and Sleeper.

At Albany I got out for a walk (would have been "dining in the dark' @ ALB had I taken first seating) I observed the switch (history as of Nov 1) combining 449 with 49; radio equipped bodies abounded, yet there was no sense of urgency whatever. This was just a simple cut the NY P32ACDM engine then double over the five car #449 complete with its 2 P-42's to #49's track; NO DRILLING needed.

I must note that the addition of two Creative Charters PV's (one ex-UP Dome Lounge) caused no problems for the MP-15 that efficiently tacked them on the rear of #49. There were no M&E cars to address.

I am honestly at a loss to understand the reasoning of killing the through 449-49 cars effective Nov 1. I think as many passengers arrived @ ALB on #449 as did on #49. The Boston Sleeper was sold; as several Boston passengers boarded the NY sleepers at ALB. More Coaches and Cafes will be needed as two sets are required for 448-449. Also, with the seven car max hi-level platforms at ALB (fine for Empire Service; not so for the Lake Shore) are going to make for boarding/alighting problems. Either there will be a "double stop' or those on the head cars will have to use the still in place low level platforms of the former station.

At times I must ask "is Amtrak run for the convenience of its passengers or its Operating Department"?

After a 10 min late departure ("who cares, it's just going to get later"), I did have Dinner, even if "scolded' by the Lead "sir, you were supposed to eat BEFORE Albany; all right I'll somehow fit you in".

Even though my table companions, a retired MD and spouse, a "grounded" Type A entrepreneur, and me a retired CPA were hardly "slow masticators", this was the FIRST time I had ever been "run out of" a railroad Dining Car anywhere on Planet Earth, well "Queen Lead" did it! The Steak was "OK", and the Beauleau Vineyards "half bottles" @ $10, are, better than any sold or "comped" on the birds.

But despite all of this, the 15 car Lake Shore, with its properly pointed Dome open platform obs PV on the rear made for an impressive train and must have been reminisicent of the "Century Passing in the Night' as it made its way along the Mohawk River. The speeds were impressive and from #3 in Prairie View, the ride was like glass, as when I had occasion to ride The Century circa 60's. I even listened to the audio and noted the Elton John song "Candle in the Wind" - the song he composed and performed on three days notice when Princess Diana was killed. While it is likely improper to compare the December 11, 1967 passing of a great train with that of a lovely human being on August 31, 1997 in the prime of life, from the "all is calm all is right" serenity of a Sleeper at bedtime, the lyric from that hauntingly beautiful song "Your candle's burned out long before Your legend never will" is indeed analogous.

Next morning I awoke to a "dead still' topography. We were West of Toledo insomuch as there was a copy of "The Blade" under the door (it was McPaper on #30). Soon the calm was punctuated by an Eastward freight; then we were on our way, albeit at about 45 mph. As I have noted before, no one is intentionally delaying Amtrak; there is simply so darned much traffic out there. Breakfast was OK; Queen Lead actually said "Good Morning".

Arrival at CUS was needless to say late; 1018A or 83 min late. This was OK by me insomuch as I would rather sit on the train than on a bench in the Great Hall waiting for the 1030A METRA/BNSF, which would have been first available even if Lake Shore was on time. Although I had to walk most of the train's length with my two bags (no wheelies here), I even had time to pick up my "morning Times and Journal reads" and board BNSF with some 5 minutes to spare. MP 18.34 was arrived at OT; 10 minute walk home from there.

All told, even if things have somewhat deterioriated for the LD's since the Gunnmen came to town, still "more positives than negatives". Glad I chose to use Amtrak as opposed to driving.

They will see me aboard during '05.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:24 am, edited 21 times in total.

by AmtrakFan

That must of been cool in the rebuilt Sleeper I would pay to be in that :-D

AmtrakFan

by PRRGuy

Sorry, couldn't resist. Would pay huh? Well, with Amtrak you better believe you're gonna pay to ride in a sleeper (assuming you didnt book wayyy in advance or bought it on the train). On a side note, I wouldn't mind seeing the rebuilt sleeper(s) but it's gonna be awhile before I get vacation. Ah, well I see my fill of trains every night.

by Gilbert B Norman

Before I continue with the narrative, and to answer Mr. P-Roadguy's question, the total Fare CHI-Stamford and return was $447.15. The trip was booked as soon as the wedding date was final, or late August.

Incidentally, as Forum Moderator, I do not have problems with the reporting of a fare for a trip completed. However, there is no change in my prohibition of fare reporting for future travel, as around here, we all know "where to find 'em".
  by NellieBly

Mr. Norman:

Glad to hear you had a good trip, and hope the trip back goes well also.

Re your comments on the NEC, I made two trips to DC this week from PHL, in both cases SB on 181 and NB on 178. I'll concur with your comment that travel on the NEC seems to be way up. I'm used to getting two seats to myself; that was not the case on 181 on either trip. Train was full.

178 was not quite so full, but was also busy. Got a look at a couple of AEs operating near my departure/arrival times, and they looked full as well. Certainly Washington Union Station was busy.

Several years ago, Amtrak did build little airline-style departure lounges at a number of gates in Union Station, but never seems to use them (except, apparently, for employees on breaks). Does anyone know why this is? The only time I've ever been in one of these (other than to walk through to board a train) was at a reception put on by Bombardier two years ago in honor of the "Jet Train" (turbine loco).

by Otto Vondrak

Hi GBN- sorry I missed your trip to Stamford. Thanks for noticing me in Westchester Magazine!

Was wondering why you decided to come east via the Capitol and not the Lake Shore or the soon to be rare Three Rivers? Seems like travelling via DC is longer? Sounds like it was a good ride.

-otto-

by updrumcorpsguy

I'm also glad to hear you had a nice time on your trip. Weddings are always fun, and what better way to get there than by train! :-)

I took the Lakeshore Limited from NYP to CHI in July. I was fortunate to have a good attendant but, like you, was assingned a room on the "inland" side of the route. Interestingly enough, the room across from me was at first occupied by a woman and child who actually had coach accomodations, but said they had been "given the room" at the ticket counter (the former desk clerk in me thought otherwise ;-) . The conductor was summoned, and the situation was resolved as politely as possible, and I was able to enjoy the ride from that side of the train, until we approached Albany.

The dining car was recently redone, was very handsome, and had a service area for snacks, etc, as well as a small seating area for people waiting to be assigned a table, which was a nice touch. I had had a very big and late lunch (lobster!) so I didn't take advantage of dinner service, just one of those nice 1/2 bottles of wine, so I can't vouch for the service either way.

The wine and the lobster took its toll, and I conked out early, and woke up somewhat late. We actually arrived a bit early.
  by prr60

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I even listened to the audio and noted the Elton John song "Candle in the Wind" - the song he composed and performed on three days notice when Princess Diana was killed.
Way off subject, but Candle in the Wind was originally written in 1973 for the album (remember "albums"?) Yellow Brick Road and was a tribute to Marilyn Monroe. Following Diana's death in 1997 the lyrics were rewritten and it was performed at the funeral. Elton John is commonly credited with the rewrite, but the new Diana lyrics were actually written by Bernie Taupin, the lyricist of the original 1973 version.

by JoeG

Mr. Norman--
The Little Red Lighthouse under the Great Gray Bridge is still there. Maybe it was obscured by painting paraphernalia. They wouldn't dare tear it down! The Mayor would get lynched!
As far as Albany goes, I've always been impressed by the leisurely pace of the crews that switch cars there. Seems to be a management problem.

by AmtrakFan

I think they should suspend Emplyoees out of Uniform on Duty. Also what is the Masthead.

AmtrakFan

by Mr. Toy

Thanks for the report.

I had the lamb shank in Feburary. I concur with your assessment.