• "Generic name" for "RACO locks"

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Watchman318

RACO apparently is no more, so who now makes those little locks for signal equipment?
I think I've also heard them called a "spin-tight," and I'm guessing "screw lock" is probably the generic term, but I'm having a heck of a time coming up with anything more than "vintage Raco lock for sale" with Google.

Thanks for any info.
  by RobertF

I think Safetran bought the license/rights/patents to the locks as we still get brand new Raco locks and wrenches from Safetran.
  by Watchman318

Thanks. I checked Safetran's Website, but it was no help.
It's not the most critical bit of information I ever tried to find on the Web, anyway. :wink:
  by RobertF

The part number is 030399-31X, just ordered some the other day.
  by OportRailfan

Somehow it has turned into the term "RSA locks" out here on my RR
  by Gadfly

You know, perhaps I am out of line, but has it occurred to you that the railroad, Raco or Safetran might not WANT their part numbers or related information spread all over the www? It is a possible security issue and could lead to tampering or sabotage. I know certain numbers of locks and other part numbers, too, but I would NEVER reveal them to anyone even tho I am now retired. Not to seem grumpy or anything, but rail buffs have NO business knowing such information, nor any need to even HAVE such items. Yes, I realize that it is a hobby to most of you, and you mean no harm. OTH, such random disclosure of seemingly innocent information could lead to theft of railroad property, derailment, even loss of life! Today is a totally different environment post 911. There are people in this world who HATE America, and would do anything to destroy us, or at least, take lives or property in support of "their cause". Or just plain thieves looking for a fast buck. Maybe pranksters out for a thrill. How do we even know the original poster isn't a terrorist? :) Probably not, but I'd never tell a non-railroader anything about "our" business. The railroaders are my fellows that I would never even think of putting at risk with loose talk and "innocent" sharing of railroad information.

You may have never thought of this, or you may think I'm exaggerating. You may get mad and scold me. But, please!! Stop and think about the information that you disclose about the railroads. It is still relevant today: "Loose lips sink ships!!!!" :(

Thanks,

GF
  by RobertF

Gadfly wrote:You know, perhaps I am out of line, but has it occurred to you that the railroad, Raco or Safetran might not WANT their part numbers or related information spread all over the www? It is a possible security issue and could lead to tampering or sabotage. I know certain numbers of locks and other part numbers, too, but I would NEVER reveal them to anyone even tho I am now retired. Not to seem grumpy or anything, but rail buffs have NO business knowing such information, nor any need to even HAVE such items. Yes, I realize that it is a hobby to most of you, and you mean no harm. OTH, such random disclosure of seemingly innocent information could lead to theft of railroad property, derailment, even loss of life! Today is a totally different environment post 911. There are people in this world who HATE America, and would do anything to destroy us, or at least, take lives or property in support of "their cause". Or just plain thieves looking for a fast buck. Maybe pranksters out for a thrill. How do we even know the original poster isn't a terrorist? :) Probably not, but I'd never tell a non-railroader anything about "our" business. The railroaders are my fellows that I would never even think of putting at risk with loose talk and "innocent" sharing of railroad information.

You may have never thought of this, or you may think I'm exaggerating. You may get mad and scold me. But, please!! Stop and think about the information that you disclose about the railroads. It is still relevant today: "Loose lips sink ships!!!!" :(

Thanks,

GF
This is one of the funniest replies I think I've ever read on a railfan forum.

If we tell people about RACO's.... THE TERRORISTS WIN.

Seriously, if Safetran didn't want anyone to know about them, they'd take them out of the catalogs they mass mail out. I don't know what you think someone will go out and do with the LOCK part number, maybe randomly secure unlocked cabinets? As far as opening them, anyone that has touched one would see you could open them up with pliers. If someone was really interested in some terroristic activity via removing a RACO quickly, they'd use that tool that every other burgler already uses... bolt cutters.
  by Gadfly

I know. Railfans know it all. Who am I to think different? :-)

GF
  by Freddy

RACO locks are OK for toolhouse doors, tool boxes, paint lockers and things of that nature but the FRA and your friendly signal supervisor will tell you that you'd better have padlocks on switch machines, xing cases and mechanisms, bungalows, defect detectors are everything else that affects train movement.
  by Gadfly

That's why various keys and access to padlocks were ISSUED to employees and they were told not to share this info. Sure, it happen(s) but it is not a good idea. It is the "innocent" information that is shared by those who do not understand the need for security that can sometimes do the most harm. If you "know" things about the railroad's business, it is still best not to share it, but to keep it to yourself. Me, not to be disagreeable, I will not share but the most innocuous information with curious fans. Better safe than sorry. "Inside" information is not for railfans; its for the internal use of the companies. Their rule books will also tell you not to share "Proprietary (sic)" information with outsiders such as waybills, train orders, track warrants and the like. Waybills are for the customer and the company ONLY. Hardware, stock numbers of equipment, lock numbers and other info has no business being 'shared" with outsiders. Railroading is NOT a "game" or a toy for the amusement of onlookers. Its safety and protection of the RR and its employees comes first. I would wish that people would consider that before divulging too much info.

GF
  by RobertF

Gadfly wrote:That's why various keys and access to padlocks were ISSUED to employees and they were told not to share this info. Sure, it happen(s) but it is not a good idea. It is the "innocent" information that is shared by those who do not understand the need for security that can sometimes do the most harm. If you "know" things about the railroad's business, it is still best not to share it, but to keep it to yourself. Me, not to be disagreeable, I will not share but the most innocuous information with curious fans. Better safe than sorry. "Inside" information is not for railfans; its for the internal use of the companies. Their rule books will also tell you not to share "Proprietary (sic)" information with outsiders such as waybills, train orders, track warrants and the like. Waybills are for the customer and the company ONLY. Hardware, stock numbers of equipment, lock numbers and other info has no business being 'shared" with outsiders. Railroading is NOT a "game" or a toy for the amusement of onlookers. Its safety and protection of the RR and its employees comes first. I would wish that people would consider that before divulging too much info.

GF
Have you ever seen a RACO "key"? .... it's a nut driver. No one is "issued" one like other keys, you get three or four of them with each new signal house that is delivered. I think I've got eight or nine of them between my truck and tool bag.

But again I ask, what is he (or THE TERRORISTS!) going to do with the LOCK part number? Randomly lock things up?
  by Aji-tater

Freddy wrote:RACO locks are OK for toolhouse doors, tool boxes, paint lockers and things of that nature but the FRA and your friendly signal supervisor will tell you that you'd better have padlocks on switch machines, xing cases and mechanisms, bungalows, defect detectors are everything else that affects train movement.
Not really - there are a great many signal cabinets out there with that type of lock. The feds in some cases specify "a secure locking device" but I have not heard of those things being outlawed. And in my experience it's just the opposite - toolhouses and paint lockers were/are usually locked with padlocks but those locks that require a "triangle key" are used only by the signal department.
  by Freddy

Aji-tater wrote:
Freddy wrote:RACO locks are OK for toolhouse doors, tool boxes, paint lockers and things of that nature but the FRA and your friendly signal supervisor will tell you that you'd better have padlocks on switch machines, xing cases and mechanisms, bungalows, defect detectors are everything else that affects train movement.
Not really - there are a great many signal cabinets out there with that type of lock. The feds in some cases specify "a secure locking device" but I have not heard of those things being outlawed. And in my experience it's just the opposite - toolhouses and paint lockers were/are usually locked with padlocks but those locks that require a "triangle key" are used only by the signal department.
My supervisor and FRA man didn't like them one bit, because you give them a good hit with a ball peen and they'd bust all to hell or jam some type of bar in the gap and they could be
twisted off. That's why they weren't wanted on anything that some citizen might want to break into, like somebody who steals the power meter from one of your Rd Xings, in one of the
better parts of town, because he hasn't paid his bill and the power folks pulled his meter so he'll just take yours and you sit for 2-3 hours waiting for Alabama Power to show up and put in a new meter. Didn't hardly see any triangle locks because you had to have that special key and that was to much trouble to keep up with.
  by Watchman318

Freddy wrote:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
I was pretty much aware of that.
"TMI" has been used as an abbreviation for Three Mile Island, but it often means "too much information."
  by charlie6017

I deleted the post that gave the information on accessing the locks because it's really not
appropriate, regardless whether or not the intentions were good. No one really knows who is
looking at what on here. NSA, anyone? (No, NOT "No Strings Attached")

I'm erring on the side of caution and locking this up--speaking of locks.

Charlie