Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

Since this tread took a left turn at the crossing could we go back to railroads instead of highway discussion.

by RailBus63

I think the article should have been entitled 'Can the New Haven Line be saved?' Metro-North seems to be doing all right on the Harlem and Hudson lines.

I also had to laugh at the one guy who compared the M-2/4/6's to trains in Calcutta - he apparently has never watched TV's The Amazing Race.

JD

by JayMan

Aside from the MTA's general budget problems, yes. It makes me wonder though – can Connecticut laugh at New York? They may have committed the funds to buy the M7s but now, they are in the hole. Connecticut could have done the same and ordered the M8s, and now been in the hole too?

But then, even if this true, CT cannot laugh too loud because NY is getting its fleet replaced while CT riders are stuck with old and ever more decrepit cars, for at least 6 more years.

by Jondude11

And even so, when I take an older train on the Harlem Line, I don't feel like it's all that bad as described from the New Haven Line trains. I've heard so many worse things about those trains, even though there are only some minor differences. For example, there were a few occasions where on a Harlem Line train I was on, the air conditioner was broken, but at least the Harlem Line trains have windows that can open. On the New Haven Line, the windows don't open, and apparently their air conditioning breaks more frequently.

by JayMan

I've rode both the M1s and the M2s, and both seem to be in about the same shape to me, at least the cars I've been on. Can't comment on mechanical problems encountered by the guys in the shop, though (of course).