Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by JKTRR

Any info out there on the two caboose's (hack's?, crummies? wagons? vans?", etc.) on the siding west of Riverhead? They are marked with TC but little else to reveal heritage.

by LIRRNOVA55

Im not sure but, Could those possibly be Twin Forks Cabeese at RMLI?

by JKTRR

They are definitely NOT LIRR heritage. (Believe chapter's are in both Hicksville and Riverhead statio area.............)

by emfinite

I know which ones you're talking about - right near the Paraco Gas site. Aren't they old B&O hacks? I'm not quite sure of what heritage they are from.

by Johnny B

I've seen these also and have often wondered who they belonged too (ex-Tennessee Central?). I believe the track there, while not detached, contains a derailer and probably hasn't been used in years... Speaking of odd cabooses, I noticed the old Sands Salvage caboose, that used to be out on Rte. 110 in Farmingdale, has landed at the edge of a farm off the Wading River Rd. exit just north of 495 in Manorville. I don't think it's on trucks, and seems to be sagging a bit in the middle (kinda like me!).

by jayrmli

The two hacks in Riverhead are privately owned (there's also a boxcar back there as well). The track is not connected with the mainline. The customer had a dispute with the railroad over 10 years ago and the siding was yanked.

About a year ago, Paraco wanted to add a switch to take more cars, and there was talk of reinstalling the switch, but that hasn't moved anywhere in the last year.

Jay