• "B" Tower is in shambles! Please read...

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by freightguy

That is ashame about B tower. It is certainly one of the better looking towers on the LIRR. The last block operater to work in the tower when it was active just recently retired. The engineer who trained my class told us that his received word that his son was born via a train order from B tower. It was handed to him on the fly. Now that is a dedicated employee imagine a wife going along with that today.

GREG

by CLiner2005

I realize that the enforcement of the law regarding vandalism ("taggers") differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction throughout the U.S.A. In my community, population 60,000, as soon as someone tags a building, wall or whatever, the police note the location (a graffiti log is maintained) and it is gone within 24 hours - usually less. There is nothing more frustrating to those who tag - usually gang members - then to have their "artwork" disappear almost as soon as it goes up. Our city is very agressive in maintaining a graffiti-free environment, and it works.

I realize with a larger population base, this becomes a much more difficult endeavor - the removal of this blight. It has to be a cooperative priority between the affected law enforcement jurisdictions. Oh yes, in my city, those who are apprehended for these deeds are prosecuted and pay big bucks, and spend time in confinement. Just some thoughts and comments.

by jayrmli

Joe:

You also need to find out who actually owns the building. I remember hearing that the building, while on MTA property, is actually owned by the Parks Department. This might be why the building wasn't demolished after the railroad didn't need it anymore. If this is the case, it might be easier to get funding/support to make needed repairs to the structure. A letter to Bernadette Castro might be in order.

While the idea of a railfan viewing area sounds interesting, I have a feeling it will be a tough sell, particularly since railroads are trying to discourage gathering trackside for such activities. While you can make a case that it's done elsewhere (i.e. Horseshoe Curve), it may be a hard sell. Then again, if the Parks Department gets involved, and fencing is added, you never know.

Jay

by BEDT16RMLI

it would be a good project and as Jarred said it would be a great railfan hangout to view trains behind a fence or building.