• Quiz...

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by 3rdrail

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmight be ! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmight not be !
  by MBTA1016

I was definetly better at that quiz with the book as a prize. I want to say its Kendall but I'm just throwing out a guess.
  by 3rdrail

Either Rob, Derrick, Urbey, Panagua, or The Egg will murder this one.
  by 3rdrail

Mbta fan wrote:I was definetly better at that quiz with the book as a prize. I want to say its Kendall but I'm just throwing out a guess.
No, not Park. No more wild shots.
I'll just say this MBTA - there are clues not only on this photo but on others in this thread as well. No more clues. This quiz is too easy. It's not one of my usual cerebral melts ! Poor Cosmo has to wrap his head with ice after reading my quizzes !
  by MBTA1016

Ok thanks, Cosmo won't have to wrap his head in ice, he can come up here to Boston area and put it in 1-2ft of snow.
  by BostonUrbEx

3rdrail wrote:1) WHERE ARE WE ?
2) WITHIN A TWO YEAR SPAN, WHEN ARE WE HERE ?
3) WHAT'S THE COST OF A FARE ?
4) IF THE COLLECTOR RAN OUT OF TOKENS, HOW WOULD WE GET THROUGH ?
5) WHAT COMPANY IS THIS ?
1) Essex (Now: Chinatown, emergency egress)

4) A gate to the left side? Or perhaps there's a door on both sides of the token collector's booth so that you can just walk right through the booth?

5) BERy
  by BostonUrbEx

Seeing as I presume this is BERy (MTA take over in 1947) and FURCOLO (advertisement on the wall) began his political career in 1946... I'm going to guess somewhere around there -- roughly around 1947.
  by 3rdrail

Oh Urbey ! The snow must have gotten to you ! A complete wipe-out ! Well, actually, your answer on 4 was good, but there is one specific answer that I'm looking for here. It goes to show knowledge of how the system worked. Care to try for it again ? I have a feeling that our buddy Cosmo is as far away from this quiz as humanly possible ever since I hooked him up with Wanda.
  by The EGE

1) That looks like a Filene's sign in the background, which would place this at what is now Downtown Crossing. Since the arrow points to the right, this would have to be the northbound platform (Summer).

2) That's Furcolo for Governor which would place this in 1956.

5) That means this is the good old M.T.A.

3) I'm gonna have to go for 20 cents? I don't think it was up to a quarter yet.

4) Hard one. I imagine there must have been some way to pay your fare in straight cash.
  by BostonUrbEx

Well then... if not BERy, it's gotta be MTA! And perhaps when he ran for Governor [or reelection]. Thus, 1956-1958.

As for location, I'm truly stumped. I thought I had nailed it...
  by BostonUrbEx

The EGE wrote:3) I'm gonna have to go for 20 cents? I don't think it was up to a quarter yet.

4) Hard one. I imagine there must have been some way to pay your fare in straight cash.
Perhaps it was a quarter. Drop a quarter and you're in?
  by 3rdrail

And The Egg pops out of his carton to scramble the competition ! You nailed all but 3 and 4 ! I'm going to make it an early night as I was up all last night, so I'll just say that with 3, look at the photo carefully - or not !, and with 4, you might have had to see this feature back then to get this one as the gates don't work like this anymore. Excellent work on 1 and 2. Keep on it, Urbey- it's all there ! You used deduction worthy of the master himself, Sherlock Holmes ! I'll check back tomorrow and hopefully announce a winner !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BostonUrbEx

Well, using the larger image... it looks like just about anyone can walk right through the gate in the image shown! No fare necessary! (Although there is a collection slot shown to the right)

There is a sign instructing people to keep left, however, at the "slot" operated turnstiles.