• Quincy Adams closed entrance/exit

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Gerry6309

rhodiecub2 wrote:Was there at one time an entrance/exit that led to Independence Avenue at Quincy Adams station?
A passageway was constructed when the station was built, but the local NIMBYs forced the MBTA to not open it because of the fear that commuters would park on local streets. It was one of the factors which delayed the station's opening.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

http://somerville.wickedlocal.com/news/ ... te-opening" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MBTA officials outlined plans to repair and refurbish Quincy Adams station, but many in attendance at a public meeting Tuesday night wanted to discuss reopening the pedestrian gate on Independence Avenue.

John McCormack, the project manager for the MBTA, said the $70 million to $80 million project includes work on the pathway between Independence Avenue and the station. The path is blocked by an iron fence and a locked gate.

The gate will not be opened as part of the project, and work on the pathway will come near the end of the 31/2-year project, he said.
They're repairing the path to Independence Ave. as part of the QA station renos, but they aren't reopening the closed gate. Predictably, local citizens and pols are confused by this.
  by Philip Wirth

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:http://somerville.wickedlocal.com/news/ ... te-opening
They're repairing the path to Independence Ave. as part of the QA station renos, but they aren't reopening the closed gate. Predictably, local citizens and pols are confused by this.
I thought it was closed because local citizens and pols and wanted it closed.
  by troffey

IIRC from when I lived in the neighborhood, the residents complained about the number of cars parking in the neighborhood to avoid the garage. Rather than do any sort of parking enforcement, the City asked the T to close the gate and pulled the "well, at least the cars are gone" answer. It was never my impression that the attitude in the neighborhood was explicitly against the gate, and the closure resulted in a lot of people (myself included) who wound up taking the bus to Quincy Center to get on the train because of what a pain it was to get into Quincy Adams, despite the fact I could see into the station from my apartment.
  by rethcir

I heard it was not unknown for neighborhood residents to acquire keys to the gate in the past as well. This was way pre-9/11 and 2013 Marathon however.