Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Terrapin Station

I have some questions about the two Putnam Branch stubs (the one that ramps down from under the Deegan near Highbridge and the one that veers away from the Hudson Line by the new Target store): how far, south and north respectively, are the tracks "in service," and beyond those points, how far does MNCR own the out-of-service right-of-ways? I've been to the abandoned Sedgwick Av station and looking north from there, I didn't see any tracks. And I know that eventually the line hits Van Cortlandt Park so the tracks have to end somewhere south of there. Thanks for any specifics. I'm just curious.

More questions on my mind: what is the name of the junction there by Target, what was the purpose of the building that is still there (it looks like it was a railroad building), and was there ever a wye there?

Another question: it looks like they've been doing trackwork recently on both of the stubs (replacing the switch near Target and doing something near Highbridge). Is this just regular maintenance?
  by pnaw10

Terrapin Station wrote:I have some questions about the two Putnam Branch stubs (... snip snip ...) And I know that eventually the line hits Van Cortlandt Park so the tracks have to end somewhere south of there.
I remember reading an article about the Putnam Branch's history awhile ago on the Forgotten NY website. Here's the URL right to the page:

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SUBWAYS/Put ... utnam.html

If that link doesn't work, go to www.forgotten-ny.com then click "Subways & Trains" at the very top. Scroll down to "The Put," four entries from the bottom of the right-hand column.

by DutchRailnut

At Highbridge yard thats not the putnam stub, but new track, it was installed two years ago to replace MofW base in MO Jct.
At BN yard (near Target) MNCR has track upto end of bus garage, yhis is mostly old Put trackage.
The last remaining (at south end) Putnam Division trackage stopped halfway between switch and University heights platform.
The last North end Put trackage is still in us at Brewster were the WYE exstends about 10 car lenghts beyond the Wye swtch.
All this property is owned by Premier underwriters(penn Central) but lesead to MTA.

by Terrapin Station

DutchRailnut wrote:At Highbridge yard thats not the putnam stub, but new track, it was installed two years ago to replace MofW base in MO Jct.
At BN yard (near Target) MNCR has track upto end of bus garage, yhis is mostly old Put trackage.
The last remaining (at south end) Putnam Division trackage stopped halfway between switch and University heights platform.
The last North end Put trackage is still in us at Brewster were the WYE exstends about 10 car lenghts beyond the Wye swtch.
All this property is owned by Premier underwriters(penn Central) but lesead to MTA.
Thanks. You pretty much answered all of my questions!