• Question: Source for SEPTA Regional Rail Uniform Images?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Sir Ray

Hopefully this will be a quick answer, but does anyone have a good source of images for SEPTA RR Uniforms? I went to the obvious place (www.SEPTA.com) but didn't see any good image selections of uniforms (plenty of promotional caps and t-shirt images, though).

OK, OK, Not so much that I am impressed with railroad uniforms, I simply want to paint/alter several model figures to go with my SEPTA Atlas AEM-7 and Walthers Horizon car set, so I would like Conductors (do they have conductors?), TOs/Engineer, Station Agents, etc...
  by P42DC

It is difficult to find photos of the SEPTA uniforms. I might have some lying around, but the uniforms were never the focus of the photos. I will check on this.

It's even difficult to see what SEPTA conductors' uniforms are like by riding the trains. I can't tell you how many times I've only been able to tell the conductor from a passenger was because he had a ticket punch. Occasionally you will see a few that look like conductors--mostly during weekday peak trains.

Then the question is do you want to paint the figures like their uniforms are supposed to look, or what many of them actually do. :)

While I do believe the vast majority of SEPTA's RR staff do a good job, I believe there could be more oversight of their daily professional appearance. Amtrak, LIRR, MTA, NJT, METRA, Metrolink all seem to do a better job at this--from my experience, anyway.

I'm actually in the process of custom-painting and decaling my own walthers horizon set. Only 1 out of 3 is complete. It's a tough job, but I like the results so far! Good luck!
  by Sir Ray

P42DC wrote:It's even difficult to see what SEPTA conductors' uniforms are like by riding the trains. I can't tell you how many times I've only been able to tell the conductor from a passenger was because he had a ticket punch. Occasionally you will see a few that look like conductors--mostly during weekday peak trains.
Then the question is do you want to paint the figures like their uniforms are supposed to look, or what many of them actually do. :)
I'm actually in the process of custom-painting and decaling my own walthers horizon set. Only 1 out of 3 is complete. It's a tough job, but I like the results so far! Good luck!
Heh, I figured this topic would fade away without an answer.
I guess I am a bit spoiled w/ the LIRR, as the conductors always seem to wear their uniforms without fail (sometimes removing the blazer/jacket, but still wearing the uniform shirt/slacks/hat).
Actually I'm wondering what exactly would a conductor who's not wearing a conductor's uniform would look like - jeans, t-shirt and a change/ticket belt?
As for those Horizon's, I was fairly satisfied with the Walthers SEPTA paint job (and the Atlas AEM7), although I do need to detail the cab-car further. Did you strip the paint off the Horizons and repaint them (I could see this if you added the center door), or just got them undecorated to start with?

by Olton Hall

Some of the on train personel look like homeless with what they wear in the winter time. I'll admit it is practical but not professional looking. The only person that looked professional to me on SEPTA looked like a baseball umpire from the 80's with his combinations of the uniform choices.

by Matthew Mitchell

Olton Hall wrote:The only person that looked professional to me on SEPTA looked like a baseball umpire from the 80's with his combinations of the uniform choices.
[bleeping] umpires don't look that professional any more either.

Matt Mitchell
(hockey ref--tries to look professional on the ice)

by whovian

A few years ago, for some unexplained reason, SEPTA stopped warehousing employee (conductor) uniforms on the RRD. SEPTA conductors used to be able to go to work and use their uniform allowance to buy new uniforms at work from work. Now, SEPTA issues its new hire conductors a few shirts, slacks, and blazers, maybe a hat and tie, and the rest is solely up to the individual. Some conductors still wear the old grey uniform, which was to be replaced by, not coincide with, the newer blue uniforms. Unfortunately, some folk hired and were given a combination (no joke) of the two. If they need a winter jacket, or any other article in their uniform, ONCE a year SEPTA affords them the opportunity to order new uniforms, which are considerably overpriced considering the poor quality of the materials. SEPTA's RRD transportation managers used to do compliance checks for conductors' appearance, but now they no longer are as stringent because of the current circumstances. It's not uncommon to see the conductors don an ADIDAS jacket, the Nike sweatshirt, the white socks, the Philadelphia Eagles baseball cap. SEPTA, in their own way, promotes this. It is typical of their overall view towards the Railroad. Amtrak and NJT would send their employees home if they came to work dressed like that. I wouldn't be suprised if SEPTA's conductors were allowed to wear shorts and polo shirts for their summer uniforms in the near future.

by Sir Ray

:-D :-) :-D :-)
Wow, thanks guys. That's not... too impressive an image for SEPTA (albiet I hate wearing suits and ties myself, especially if no ladies are involved :P ).
Oh well, I guess my HO scale conductors with uniforms, ties, and hats will just have to become Amtrak employees then - those I've seen in uniform in NY, and I'm sure they keep those uniforms on in Philly (...oh, behave!).

by jb9152

Plus, a number of years ago they changed the unis for the station personnel (Passenger Services) to distinguish them from conductors (conatining a lot of blues and maroons). Then SEPTA changed the RRD conductor uniform to look more like the station personnel. Go figure.

Ticket agents are contract personnel, and wear a green uniform "smock" with the RRD logo.

To me, the general lack of attention to small details such as looking clean, professional, and "uniform" is the root of all of SEPTA's larger issues. It seems like just being "good enough" is the standard way of doing business.