• Question?? Ashland, Va. Track work

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Schuylkill Valley

Does any one know why there doing tire repair through Ashland, Va.
My Brother Lives there. and works near the tracks . He called me tonight to ask if I knew why CSX was doing full replacement of all ties, when last year they replaced the rails. He wanted to know why didn't they replace the ties then?

Thanks,
Len.

by CSX Engineer 98

They did and do what is cost effective at the time, and will keep the traffic flowing.

by mmi16

System Tie Gangs and Sysem Rail Gangs are separate gangs and rarely, if ever, work the same territory at the same time. The logisics of having the necessary materials on site at the same time would present a dangerous work enviornment for all employees concerned.

by 10more years

Sometimes they do replace both at same time. Several years ago, they redid about twenty miles of track north of Fayetteville NC. They replaced all wooden ties with concrete ties, new rail, and even removed old ballast and replace with fresh. It resulted in major traffic upheaval. It sure rode a lot better.
Anytime rail is replaced, there's a lot of traffic disruption. Replacing ties is also disruptive but not on as great a scale.

Plus, I don't think they ever, or rarely, replace all wooden ties at one time. The machines can only replace five or six in a row. Usually, they replace ties, and rail, on a set schedule according to the division or system roadmaster budget.

Sometimes, CSX does a complete shutdown of a track to do major overhaul. They pull all traffic off a line for a time frame and give it to roadway for several weeks. Freight is rerouted. Crews are moved. Talk about a major pain.

by Schuylkill Valley

Thank you all for your responce .
One more question?
In Ashland, Va. the town made a ruling that when the train go through there not allowed to blow the horn, at any of the four crossings that go through the town. How can they do that? I though the FRA controls the rules.

Len.

by gprimr1

They can. Boston doesn't allow the Downeaster to use it's horn between Division post GRS/MBCR and North station except in emergencies.

by Rockingham Racer

There must be a lot of emergencies in Lawrence and N. Andover. I hear horns all the time when I'm visiting up there. I think the new FRA horn rules now overrule local rules. From what I know, 4 quadrant gates are required to take exception to blowing a horn for a crossing.

by mmi16

Schuylkill Valley wrote:Thank you all for your responce .
One more question?
In Ashland, Va. the town made a ruling that when the train go through there not aloud to blow the horn, at any of the four crossing that go through the town. How can they do that? I though the FRA controls the rules.

Len.
If Ashland has complied with all the requirments that the FRA has set up for crossing protection to comply with 'Quiet Zone' designation, then Ashland is free to enact quiet zone ordinances. Complying with the FRA requirements is not an inexpensive undertaking.

by Schuylkill Valley

Heres pictures of down town Ashland.
My Bother took theses pictures.
Len.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

when uploading pictures, resize them to a smaller pixel size so that people with 56k internet's dont have to wait all day for the page to load :wink:

by Schuylkill Valley

If I knew how to do that I would have. But in this case I don't.

Len.

do you have any programs that you can view and edit pictures?
  by MathProf64

Hey Len,

When were those pictures taken?

by Schuylkill Valley

They were taken around March, by my Bother who works in Ashland, Va. he works at Radoph Mackin College. well it's spelled someting like that.

Len.