Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by NeoArashi

Hello every VIA Rail fans :P

I was informed trhough E-Mail that VIA rail curently have a 50% discount on certain (or was it all trains?!) Anyways, I know the corridor is aong the those affected by the discount. Which bring me to my question. I'd really like to make a one day trip to Montreal, since I've never been there for the sake of just going there for fun (the few times I've been there, I always had a reason, or it was merely on the way to some other places) However, I have a slight problem. I cannot afford a round-trip, due to the fact that I have some dept I need to take care of this week. And since My next paycheck is on the 20th (one freaking day after the discount ends) I was thinking of using my preference points to get a free Québec-Montreal trip, and pay for the return trip using the discount. So my question (finally) is: How exactly does this system works? I mean, I know I have to call to redeeem my free train tickets, but is the system really complicated to use? Also, though I'm quite good at understanding English, I'm more comfortable with French... are the employee English speakers that CAN speak french but have a terrible and barely understandable accent? (No offence to anyone here, since many french speaker have the opposite problems here)

My second question: Another thing I was thinking is: Maybe I should just buy a discounted ticket now. Since I'm not going to Montreal (if I decide to go) until Somewhere in November, I was considering keeping my points (for a bigger trip) and just buy a supersaver ticket like next week. (I'll be able to afford more stuff next week)

Which should I do?
  by timberley

While I cannot answer all of your questions, I can answer a few.

First of all, the 50% off sale does apply to all trains in the VIA Rail system, in all classes (although Business class is only on weekdays...VIA Preference members get a special 10% off deal as part of this sale, for weekend business class travel). It applies to all fares over $50 one way. You can read all of the terms and conditions here: http://www.viarail.ca/en/50-percent-sale/ontario-quebec

In order to redeem VIA Preference points, all you need to do is call VIA's phone number (1-888-VIA-RAIL), and I think select the option to make a new reservation. You will then be connected to a VIA Rail agent, who can make all of the reservations for you.

VIA Rail customer service employees are required to be bilingual. While obviously you may run into some cases where the person in question speaks one language or the other with a heavy accent (or not well), but my experience has been generally positive. Most of the customer service employees I've talked to on the phone have spoken very good English, but with a french accent (suggesting their first language was French). So I expect you should have no trouble. If you are having too much difficulty, you can always request to be transferred to another agent, as they are mandated (as a Crown corporation of the federal government) to provide bilingual services.

As for the details of your trip, I'll leave that up to you (or anyone else who may wish to make a suggestion). Whatever you end up doing, enjoy the trip!

I had been hoping to take advantage of this discount for booking a round trip on the Ocean in December/January (to go from Halifax back to Ontario for Christmas time), but the dates I have to go fall in the Christmas period that is exempt from the sale. Darn! I guess I'll just have to get the supersaver/discounted fares.
  by Ken V

timberley wrote:(although Business class is only on weekdays...VIA Preference members get a special 10% off deal as part of this sale, for weekend business class travel)
oops.... It's the other way around. The 50% off in Business Class is for travel on Saturday and Sunday and 10% off for Preference members is Monday-Friday - not that anyone on a tight budget would be interested in Business Class.

One other important note: the 50% sale tickets are non-refundable. If you aren't sure you will be taking the trip, don't buy a ticket since you will not get your money back if you can't go.
  by timberley

Ken V wrote: oops.... It's the other way around. The 50% off in Business Class is for travel on Saturday and Sunday and 10% off for Preference members is Monday-Friday - not that anyone on a tight budget would be interested in Business Class.
Whoops! Right you are Ken...I had that flipped around.

Now as for people on a tight budget, although the savings are still much greater in Economy, the 50% off sale may be one opportunity for such people to actually give Business Class a try.
  by NeoArashi

Thanks for your answers! I already got my first way ticket (at reduced price) And I decided to take the money and buy a second ticket at the regular ''supersaver'' fare. Although, if and only IF I can afford it, I'll get a Buisness class ticket.

Which makes me ask a third question!

I checked the prices. To go from Montreal to Québec City, going by Economy class will cost me 55$ (tax included) and Buisness Class will cost me 95$. While chances are pretty good that I'll be able to afford a Buisness ticket, is it really worth the extra 40$? If it's just more comfy seats, then it's definitely not worth it. Does it come with any extras? (free meal, better view other stuff)? Thanks again for your answers =D