• Question About the Circus Train/GMS

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by ch00ch00

Something else. The train moves were made on signal indication, nobody but the Movement bureau needed to know we were a circus train.
  by LongIslandTool

As Choo says, the crew generally follows the signals, as they convey authority to operate in this territory. For reporting purposes between towers it would be reported as "Circus Extra 163," or whatever the head engine number was. Or it could simply be reported as "Extra 163".

On the program and paperwork that planned the move, it would be called "Circus Extra 1, 2 or 3".
  by Irishiron

LongIslandTool wrote:As Choo says, the crew generally follows the signals, as they convey authority to operate in this territory. For reporting purposes between towers it would be reported as "Circus Extra 163," or whatever the head engine number was. Or it could simply be reported as "Extra 163".

On the program and paperwork that planned the move, it would be called "Circus Extra 1, 2 or 3".
Cool. Thanks gents. Much appreciated. Look forward to catching her on the LI for the first time. That's gotta be some sight with 4 SW's for power. The old girl is 4293-tons in one piece after all.
  by mirrodie

So the train is shoved east of the Quentin road crossing, meaning its behind the Museums now there, right?

So what route do the animals use to get to the Coliseum?

ALso, Im reading on this line, (totally forreign and fascinating to me), what is considered that Garden city "yard" that I see references to? Its popped up a few times.

Also , Iw as looking at goole maps and trying to piece together that route that came off the secondary and crossed the Meadowbrook Pkwy. When was the last time that trestle saw service? Wasnt it in the 90s?
  by num1hendrickfan

mirrodie wrote:So the train is shoved east of the Quentin road crossing, meaning its behind the Museums now there, right?

ALso, Im reading on this line, (totally forreign and fascinating to me), what is considered that Garden city "yard" that I see references to? Its popped up a few times.

Also , Iw as looking at goole maps and trying to piece together that route that came off the secondary and crossed the Meadowbrook Pkwy. When was the last time that trestle saw service? Wasnt it in the 90s?
I believe that trestle saw infrequent service right up until around 90'-93'. Would be quite a feat for it to see service now though.
Most of the track there has been torn out, what's left probably wouldn't hold the weight of a handcar.

yes parts of the train are behind the museums.
  by M1 9147

Honestly, when switching took place when they broke the train apart, the road bed is in very bad shape. You would think that the surface is flat, however it is on an angle, so some cars would tilt outwards while some would tilt inwards. Luckilly the tilt is totally opposite of each other where the cars wouldn't sideswipe each other. This is noticable at the Clinton Road Crossing.
  by lilbluefoxie

num1hendrickfan wrote:
mirrodie wrote:So the train is shoved east of the Quentin road crossing, meaning its behind the Museums now there, right?

I believe that trestle saw infrequent service right up until around 90'-93'. Would be quite a feat for it to see service now though.
Most of the track there has been torn out, what's left probably wouldn't hold the weight of a handcar.

yes parts of the train are behind the museums.
Nothing can go back there now, the tracks crossing Stewart Ave are gone, so is the second crossing, south Street which was paved over, so the track that goes over teh Meadowbrook isnt connected to anything anymore. I wouldnt be surprised if one day they take that bridge out to fix the interchange by the mall.
  by workextra

I believe the connection was ripped out in late 2002 or '03. The Crossing over Zecendorff* was removed a few years after the connection was cut out.
I seen the state DOT not LIRR crews removing this crossing. If this was done legally or not I have no clue. But for those who don't know about this spur. Driving there today would leave little hints that it was a railroad crossing once the foliage grows back.
Had it been fully connected today, about the only thing stopping a train would have been the tree growth west of the Zecendorff* crossing. It appeared to be in gauge at the time and could have held a MP15 or SW1001 no problems. Now it's a different story. Just a few short years and it's almost wiped out completely.
Unless they get a customer demanding rail service in the vicinity of that spur that can rebuild it and shut up the NIMBYS It's a pretty sure bet that the bridge will one day be history too.
  by CFDChris237

So being as the circus is here from the 16-20. The unload date will be the 14th, and the load date is the night of the 20th. Right? And then the train departs 21st?
  by Irishiron

The last show in Jersey is 3/13 at 3pm. Which means by 4pm the breakdown has begun and the loadout started. The train almost always leaves upon loadout completion and finishing of servicing (fuel, water, feed, etc.). You guys would know better than me about the LIRR move, but that should mean handed off to Amtrak on that Sunday night. You think they'll holdoff until Monday?
  by Mr rt

Recap of the details:
- 141st edition of the Circus
- This year it's the "Red Train", yes Vigina there is more then one !
- 59 cars, about a mile in length
- At LI, 1st show Wed. 3/16, last Sun 3/20
  by CFDChris237

If this helps anyone with the times. The LICM posted on their calendar 3/14/11 Starts 6:00pm Ends 9:00pm. Not saying it will go down at these exact times, but roughly in the ball park.
  by mirrodie

just looked at licm site. where could you see March info? link?
  by Irishiron

Mr rt wrote:- 59 cars, about a mile in length
59 cars -- 38 Passenger/Stock & 21 TOFC/Racks
5236ft, 4094t -- Not including host power.