• Question about bells ringing on train

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Avidprime

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the reason for that loud bell that rings in the brakeman's booth. I was in the first car this morning (an M1 I think) and the bell was ringing on and off while we were moving. I couldn't figure out why. Any ideas????

Also, On the newer M7 trains from time to time I've noticed a strange series of tones that come over the PA system. I don't hear it often but when I do, it always seems like the train is in motion. It's hard to describe the sound, but it reminds me of the sound certain cell phones
make when they are first turned on. Is anyone familiar with this one??

Thanks Everyone
Avidprime

by mark777

what you were probably hearing was the audible warning device which alongside with the ASC (automatic speed control), rings when there is a change in the speed limit in the block ahead. they work along side with signal indications, and when the speed needs to be lowered, the bell will ring. The engineer will then lower his speed to the required speed limit and push the acknowledge button to stop the ringing. To my knowledge, it only rings when the speed must be reduced. If the ASC reading displays an increase in speed, the bell does not ring. that I have noticed, the bell only ring in the cabs that are usually in the first pair. So while the engineer is in the front, the other cab on the other end of the leading pair will also ring, (usually where the conductor sits), so you might occassionally hear the bell ringing while the Conductor is making announcements. These are all safety features on our trains that can basically make it difficult if not impossible to collide with other trains.

by N340SG

Avidprime,

As Mark777 stated, the bell is an ATC downcode alert and/or overspeed alert to the Engineer. So, why do I have a useless story to add to this? I dunno, but bear with.
When I was in the apprenticeship, our teacher came in to our class one day and said that the FRA wanted the Cab Signal equipment energized in all cars, even when not being used. We knew intuitively that there would be a problem, but did not immediately figure out what it would be.
The problem became apparent when Trainmen had to keep running through cars and acknowledging the ringing bells throughout the train from all the trailing pairs going into overspeed at 15-18 MPH. (The ATC system still continues to operate in all trailing pairs, even though Cab Signal [normally] does not. There are reasons for this.) It was put back to the way it was, presumably with FRA approval.

The M-7 tones you hear are most likely the "Chime", a series of tones that train crews can use to signal other train crew members, usually used to signal that they want to speak on the crew intercom. (Instead of "Go to Channel 4")

Tom

by Lupo 10

I have also noticed two quick buzz sounds on occasion on the M-7's right before leaving a station. It doesn't matter what car I'm in it seems (although I haven't paid that close attention except to know I've heard it while in the middle of the consist) My thought is that this is a confirmation I'm hearing that it's clear to leave. Anyone know what I'm referring to here?

by Nasadowsk

Yes. There's a whole buzzer code, and the LIRR still uses it. I always wondered what Amtrak crews would be like without their handhelds - I've NEVER seen them use buzz codes or such....

Are the call boxes at substations, stations, etc still active? Does anyone even use them?

by BMC

Most "T" boxes still work, but as more and more cell phones become common place they are used less.

A lot of the "orders and messages" are done over the radio as well.